This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 218 posts
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hello!

In the effort to better communicate where we are and what's coming up, and to help you keep us accountable when things are quiet, we're going to start sharing a lot more details about our active projects. I hope to eventually have even more details for you, on a project-by-project basis; but for now, I'm going to post a monthly project status update that lists all of our active 1E projects and lets you know where they are in the process.

Speaking of the process, here is a ROUGH overview of the steps involved in releasing an expansion:
1. Pre-Design
Selecting staff, high level block planning, high level expansion planning, goal setting.

2. Design
Initial concepting of mechanics, themes, development of cards, in-house alpha play testing.

3. Development
Play testing, card/mechanic revision, rules and creative reviews

4. Production
Rules, creative, design sign off, proofreading, art collecting, building art file, final proof, spoiler planning.

5. Release
Spoilers, articles, new cards!
I'm going to do my best to answer your questions, but please understand things are very much subject to change. Also, I'm not going to start spoiling details of what is going on, etc. - this isn't the purpose of this thread. I want you to know where in the pipeline things are, and I want you to know when things aren't moving so you can ask us and make us accountable.

-crp
 -  
Prophet
This is your March 2017 status update for First Edition Design Products.

-crp

Project Courage a.k.a. Broken Bow

(Broken Bow is the first set in Block 4, the 22nd-century block.)

Well, maybe not for another 13 and a half hours... but this project is complete. The last production steps involve creating the cover sheet and preparing the rules updates and errata to go with the expansion. We do not anticipate any delays in making the expansion's release date. (If I'm being too subtle, expansion announces tonight.)

Project Power

(Project Power is the second set in Block 4, the 22nd-century block. It is the introduction of the Vulcan affiliation.)

Project Power is on week six (6) of testing and the Rules and Creative teams have just been given their first look. Early testing feedback is good, and we're working out the kinks and flaws on the expansion. We could use more eyes on cards, so if you have a group (even a group of 2) and are willing to put the time in, contact me.

Project Wisdom

(Project Wisdom is the third and final set in Block 4, the 22nd-century block.

Project Wisdom has been in design for some time, and that process continues. They are exploring the 22nd-century for loose ends and themes to explore in their expansion.

Project Discommendation

(Project Discommendation is a special, off-cycle project designed as a final "end-cap" to 1EC cards.

Project Discommendation has been slow to get going, but their design efforts are ramping up in the past few weeks. There was a staffing change (I had to step away to become ACting Brand Manager, so Cristoffer "Smiley" Wiker took my place) that set things back a bit. There is no hard or firm schedule for this project, so it can take the time it needs to do things correctly.

Project Delenn
Project G'Kar
Project Londo

(Project Delenn is the first expansion of Block 5, the TOS block. Project G'Kar is the second expansion, and Project Londo is the third.

Project Delenn (along with all of block 5) is just getting started. We had our first block planning meeting last night, so all three projects are officially entering the initial Pre-design phase (though more Delenn and G'Kar than Londo).

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote: Project Courage a.k.a. ****** ***[/b]

(****** *** is the first set in Block 4, the 22nd-century block.)

Well, maybe not for another 13 and a half hours... but this project is complete. The last production steps involve creating the cover sheet and preparing the rules updates and errata to go with the expansion. We do not anticipate any delays in making the expansion's release date. (If I'm being too subtle, expansion announces tonight.)
Stars to prevent spoilers?
You remember that you started a thread on this forum several days ago called "Designer Q&A: Broken Bow", right? ;-) I don't think the expansion title has been very secret since then... hehe
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Maelwys wrote: Stars to prevent spoilers?
You remember that you started a thread on this forum several days ago called "Designer Q&A: Broken Bow", right? ;-) I don't think the expansion title has been very secret since then... hehe
That could have been a misdirect! ****** *** could be "Broken Bow"... but it could also be "Botany Bay"! Or "Legate Ari"! Or "Plexing Fun"! You guys have been trying to get Plexing into play more often for years now, after all, right?

Thanks for this thread, Charlie. Just gonna highlight something I found surprising:
We could use more eyes on cards, so if you have a group (even a group of 2) and are willing to put the time in, contact me.
!!!

I think this is the first time the CC has been open to two-person playtesting groups, so anyone who's been holding out because they don't have a big enough group should hop to it.
 -  
Prophet
Maelwys wrote:Stars to prevent spoilers?
That's a remarkably good point. Edited to de-obfuscate the expansion titie.
BCSWowbagger wrote:Thanks for this thread, Charlie. Just gonna highlight something I found surprising:
We could use more eyes on cards, so if you have a group (even a group of 2) and are willing to put the time in, contact me.
!!!

I think this is the first time the CC has been open to two-person playtesting groups, so anyone who's been holding out because they don't have a big enough group should hop to it.
I thought we'd lowered that threshold before, but if not, consider it lowered now.

-crp

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Great! Thanks! :thumbsup:

I think this will be a great step forward in quieting the uproar on schedule slips as well. If we can see a project hum along and then see a change in status we at least know where it was. Then a short explanation will be acceptable as everyone can have faith it was being worked on and not "just sitting"
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
MidnightLich wrote:
Maelwys wrote:Stars to prevent spoilers?
That's a remarkably good point. Edited to de-obfuscate the expansion titie.
That's a helluva typo there, Charlie. I'm surprised Niall didn't catch it.

:lol:
 -  
Prophet
This is your May 2017 status update for First Edition Design Products. I'm sorry for missing April; I was reminded to post it right at the end of the month, and I simply didn't get to it. In order to make it up to you, I'm going to give you a spoiler (sort of!)

-crp

ANNOUNCING: The Pre-Warp Pack
(The Pre-Warp Pack is an eighteen (18) card "warp pack" previewing the Vulcan introduction, which will be fully introduced in Project Power.)

Surprise! We're previewing the Vulcan affiliation with an eighteen (18) card, warp pack style release we've dubbed the Pre-Warp Pack. PWP was a nickname given to this expansion once we decided to make it, and everyone liked it so much it stuck. This set of cards will carry the sparkly "promo" expansion icon, much like Warp Pack: Emissary did last time.

Where did this expansion come from? Well, we made too many cards! Project Power was looking to be as large as Broken Bow, so we thought it would be fun to spin off some of the cards into a preview expansion. Now, you might be thinking these are just random useless cards. Well, you might be surprised! Once the Pre-Warp Pack releases, you'll have at least one new deck to build and play! And there might be more hidden within the recesses of First Edition, once these cards come out.

It will be heading to the Art team to get started on Production as soon as I finish typing up this update!

Project Power
(Project Power is the second set in Block 4, the 22nd-century block. It is the introduction of the Vulcan affiliation.)

We are at the tail end of the development phase with Project Power. The expansion has finished testing and is currently undergoing the final Rules and Creative review. It will be heading off to proofreaders shortly. After those steps are complete, this will be hot on the heels of the Pre-Warp Pack going to Art. It's the plan as of now to release this about six (6) weeks after the PWP drops.

By the way, I did promise you a spoiler (sort of). The release promo for this card will be an event with a slightly risque image, and I suspect it will appear in most (if not all) Vulcan decks. In addition, we've got a name for this expansion - but I think I'll hold on to that one. Trust me when I tell you it took a long time to find a name we could live with.

Project Wisdom
(Project Wisdom is the third and final set in Block 4, the 22nd-century block.)

Project Wisdom, lead by Dan Hamman, is going to testers for their first look tonight. I've seen bits and pieces and I think you will all enjoy what Dan and his team are cooking up for you. Testing is roughly a ten (10) week process, so there is plenty of time if you'd like to sign up to help. We always need more eyes on cards, so if you have a group (even a group of 2) and are willing to put the time in, contact me.

Project Discommendation
(Project Discommendation is a special, off-cycle project designed as a final "end-cap" to 1EC cards.)

Project Discommendation has been really working hard over the last two months to do this expansion justice. Allen Gould (the lead) and his team want to make sure this last bite at the apple is sweet and worth the wait. There still isn't a firm schedule for this project, but we are tentatively planning on giving this expansion to testers after Project Wisdom is wrapping up (approximately August).

Project Delenn
(Project Delenn is the first expansion of Block 5, the TOS block.)

We've had several block planning meetings for this block, figuring out what we want to do. It's ambitious, weird, and very cool. We've got our design team put together and are just getting started brainstorming ideas for this expansion. I'm co-leading the expansion with James Monsebroten [Orbin] to give him some experience, so he can take the reigns of Project Londo later in the block.

Project G'Kar
Project Londo
(Project G'Kar is the second expansion in the TOS block, and Project Londo is the third.)

Project G'Kar and Project Londo's lead designers, Dan Hamman and James Monsebroten, respectively, have participated in all of the block planning meetings and are on board with the planned themes. I believe Dan has his team put together and has started preliminary work, while James is still working on assembling his team.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Thanks for the updates.

Is PWP going to be Block legal?
 -  
Prophet
OKCoyote wrote:Thanks for the updates.

Is PWP going to be Block legal?
Absolutely. The cards in the PWP were originally part of Project Power; we just spun them off to make space. We might add the cards in it to the Block Reprint List, but I think it makes more sense to do it like we did Warp Pack: Emissary and give it it's own expansion page, etc.

-crp
 -  
Prophet
Hi,

Looks like I missed June! Oops! I really thought the last update was from June! I'll get an update put together for you guys and post it this week. My apologies!

-crp
 -  
Prophet
This is your July 2017 status update for First Edition Design Products. I have to admit I don't have the best record on these, but I'm really wanting to share where things are and what's coming down the pipeline. If you have any questions, or concerns, please share them. And please don't hesitate to poke me if it's getting late in the month and I haven't posted an update.

-crp

Live Long and Prosper
Live Long and Prosper (formerly known as Project Power) is the second set in Block 4, the 22nd-century block. It is the introduction of the Vulcan affiliation.

Project Power, officially known as Live Long and Prosper is just around the corner! Proofreading is done, art is more than 50% done and rapidly moving towards 100%. We're starting to plan out spoilers and you will be seeing things very, very soon. We're mindful of both GenCon's Trek Masters Series and Australian Continentals coming up, and will make sure that Live Long and Prosper's release doesn't interfere with either event.

Live Long and Prosper will introduce sixty-two (62) new First Edition cards. I hope it's not a surprise to you to hear that it's almost all focused on the new Vulcan affiliation, but we hope you'll forgive us. All of the volunteers have worked incredibly hard to deliver on this, and we can't wait to show it to you. So how about a spoiler? No image yet, but here's a cool card you will see very soon:
[Inc] INCIDENT {Enterprise}
[HA] The Secret of P'Jem
Seeds or plays on table. Your Espionage: Vulcan on REDACTED may target [FED] missions (except Vulcan). Your Espionage cards targeting a mission you seeded may not be nullified by opponent's cards. Once each turn, when you complete a mission targeted by an Espionage card, you may download File Mission Report.
Project Wisdom
(Project Wisdom is the third and final set in Block 4, the 22nd-century block.)

Project Wisdom, lead by Dan Hamman, has been in testing since our last update and is shaping up pretty well. The testers are brutal, but that honesty is what we need to make the best cards we can. There is some very cool stuff in this expansion, and we're very excited to move it along the pipeline. If you'd like to help us make great 1E cards, and get your hands on cards way before anyone else, we always need more testers. So if you have a group (even a group of 2) and are willing to put the time in, contact me. Project Wisdom should come out about four (4) months after Live Long and Prosper.

Project Discommendation
(Project Discommendation is a special, off-cycle project designed as a final "end-cap" to 1EC cards.)

Allen Gould (the lead) and his team want to make sure this last bite at the apple is sweet and worth the wait, and have put together a great first file (what we call a "Version A"). This will be hitting the testers next after Project Wisdom is complete and we'll be looking it release it in late Winter / early Spring of 2018.

ANNOUNCING Project Sinterklaas
(Project Sinterklaas is a boutique-style expansion designed to offer some love to decks that aren't featured in recent, current, or near future blocks. It also contains a few "old school" throwback cards.

Project Sinterklaas will be a nine (9) card boutique expansion headed your way this holiday season. It was designed to provide some love for affiliations and decks that haven't been getting much love in block. Sinterklaas will not be block legal, and though it is small, there's some very cool stuff here.

Project Delenn
(Project Delenn is the first expansion of Block 5, the TOS block.)

The fifth block (TOS) is underway as design of Project Delenn has officially gotten underway. This whole block is going to be weird, for lack of a better term. We've got some ambitious plans, but don't let that scare you; if we hit our marks, this might be the best block we've ever produced. There are a lot of balls in the air, and it's going to take a lot of hard work, but I'm confident we can pull it off. I know this is vague, but it's actually hard for me to explain at this point; most of the ideas are very conceptual at this stage.

Hopefully, as we get deeper and deeper into design and narrow the goals and start making cards, it will become easier to explain. I promise that I will share more about what this block, and in particular, what this expansion, is aiming to do, when I can. Just as a reminder, I'm co-leading the expansion with James Monsebroten [Orbin] to give him some experience, so he can take the reigns of Project Londo later in the block.

Project G'Kar
Project Londo
(Project G'Kar is the second expansion in the TOS block, and Project Londo is the third.)

Not much has changed with these two projects, so I'll just repeat what I said in the last report. Project G'Kar and Project Londo's lead designers, Dan Hamman and James Monsebroten, respectively, have participated in all of the block planning meetings and are on board with the planned themes. I believe Dan has his team put together and has started preliminary work, while James is still working on assembling his team.

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Mmmm, holiday boutiques are great, seeing Discommendation sooner than expected is fine.

Interesting spoilers for LLAP. - I'm betting that it's an Espionage: Vulcan on Andorian whose normal game text allows Vulcans to attempt an [NA] mission.

Also, 62 cards? It's only _not_ a multiple of 9 if there's a double-faced card in the works. Perhaps the Vulcans are getting a Mission II with a built-in outpost.

Just some idle speculation.
Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]