This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 218 posts

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:Hello everyone, and welcome to your March 2018 status update for First Edition Design Products. I hope that you are finding value in these reports; with little feedback, it's hard for me to know if I should stay the course or make changes. These reports originated from a desire to be transparent about our schedules and schedule challenges, and to dispel misinformation about delays and product changes. If there are specific pieces of information you want to see, please let me know. And if you find these updates to be falling short, I'd appreciate knowing that too. Ultimately, I'm making these posts for you, so if you have any questions, or concerns, please share them. If you guys PM me questions, I'll do my best to answer them in subsequent updates.
-crp
For whatever it's worth, I enjoy the updates very much. I like that the anticipation builds over months and months as to what is coming. I think that's a good thing.

Though, I take umbridge with the teasing. You have CC logo over the text of the card. Shame on you :P The instant gratification in my scolds you .. hehehe.

In all seriousness, as I say, I enjoy the write ups very so keep up the great work!!

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Se7enofMine wrote:Though, I take umbridge with the teasing. You have CC logo over the text of the card. Shame on you :P The instant gratification in my scolds you .. hehehe.
Psst... that's why he copied the gametext into the post right below the image. ;-)

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Maelwys wrote:
Se7enofMine wrote:Though, I take umbridge with the teasing. You have CC logo over the text of the card. Shame on you :P The instant gratification in my scolds you .. hehehe.
Psst... that's why he copied the gametext into the post right below the image. ;-)
Oh hey .. look. My foot. I think I'll have a wee taste.

My bad lol
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I have a deep fondness for Movie-era alert klaxons, so I'm finding I really want the Condition Red promo. V. nice.

WhooooOOOOP! WhooooOOOOP! WhooooOOOOP! WhooooOOOOP!

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
jrch5618 wrote:BTW, it's spelled Goa'uld. You made my inner Stargate fan sad inside :(
Rest assured, internally the project name is spelled correctly. Just a typo in the update, I assume. ;-)
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
jrch5618 wrote:BTW, it's spelled Goa'uld. You made my inner Stargate fan sad inside :(
I have corrected this egregious mistake.

-crp

By soggy_amphibian (Mark)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Maje
MidnightLich wrote:I hope that you are finding value in these reports; with little feedback, it's hard for me to know if I should stay the course or make changes. These reports originated from a desire to be transparent about our schedules and schedule challenges, and to dispel misinformation about delays and product changes. If there are specific pieces of information you want to see, please let me know. And if you find these updates to be falling short, I'd appreciate knowing that too. Ultimately, I'm making these posts for you, so if you have any questions, or concerns, please share them.
I don't usually comment on these things because I don't really have anything to add, but I do enjoy reading them and am glad that you put them up. I can't think of any suggestions for improvement.
Thanks for doing them!

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:I hope that you are finding value in these reports; with little feedback, it's hard for me to know if I should stay the course or make changes.
I read them all and enjoy them. If I think of something to add or change I'll send a PM your way!

Thanks! :cheersL:
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Fleet Admiral
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Thanks for the project update! Echoing what others have said, it is nice to keep abreast of what's happening behind the scenes for 1E. :thumbsup:
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hello everyone, and welcome to your June 2018 status update for First Edition Design Products. I appreciate all the feedback on these reports after the last one back in March! These reports are intended to force us to be transparent about our schedules and schedule challenges, and to dispel misinformation about delays and product changes. If there are specific pieces of information you want to see, please let me know. And if you find these updates to be falling short, I'd appreciate knowing that too. Ultimately, I'm making these posts for you, so if you have any questions, or concerns, please share them. If you guys PM me questions, I'll do my best to answer them in subsequent updates.

With all of that being said, here is your update for June 2018. As a reminder, these are no longer monthly; they come when there is meaningful information to impart:

ANNOUNCING: Coming of Age
(Formerly known as Project Jellyfish, this project is a refresh and remaster of The Next Generation block's starter decks.))

Today I'm happy to tell you that Project Jellyfish now has a name, Coming of Age, and you'll be seeing the formal announcement of the product very soon. In fact, you might want to check our social media this week for an early preview. Our teams have worked very hard on this to deliver a fun and balanced set of starter decks, and to fix some of the issues from the original TNG block. You'll see eighteen (18) new cards and nine (9) reprints when this hits the site.

We're also going to be officially bringing an updated TNG block card pool back as a permanent addition for you to play. Once Coming of Age releases, the card pool for this option will include it, all of the Homefront expansions, The Next Generation, The Next Generation: Supplemental, Engage, The Sky's the Limit, and Warp Pack: Emissary.

Project Keiko
(Project Keiko is a scripted learn-to-play experience for new players.)

There have been a few delays with this product, mostly as we iron out the difficulty level of the concepts it's teaching. There's varied feedback on if it's doing too much, or not enough, so it's a tough balance to fine. We'd really like to get another round of feedback before we finalize this, so if you have a friend, family member, or coworker that you'd like to teach the game of First Edition, please let us know. I still think we'll be able to deliver this product sometime this summer.

Project En Garde
(Project En Garde is a pair of balanced decks designed to give great games against each other, and fit into tournament play.)

Unfortunately, I have to give you my first bit of bad news regarding this project. In short, the team has had to start over from scratch because there we're some problems with the previous files. This means that this project is going to be a lot later than I'd like it to be out, but hopefully still in 2018. The previous MACO vs [22] Klingon decks have been set aside, and the team is working on a brand new pair.

Our goal for this project hasn't changed, though. Project En Garde is meant to give casual, newer, and returning players a pair of decks that will let them play fun, kitchen table games with their friends. And once they are comfortable, they can take them to a tournament and compete without getting obliterated.

ANNOUNCING: Project Shran
(Project Shran is a "remastered" edition of Decipher's Enterprise Collection, updating all the cards to feature the correct icons and text.))

Project Shran isn't really new, but I haven't properly introduced it to you yet. It was an idea born of both our conversion separation process as well as the 22nd century block, where we "reprint" the Enterprise Collection with updated text and icons. It really should have come out with Broken Bow, but it's now firmly in the "better late than never" camp. The main reason it hasn't come out previously is because there was work to be done on at least one of the cards - Revisionist History. Well, not to put too fine of a point on it, but that card has been sorted out, so this can finally head to production.

It isn't flashy, nor is it a high priority, but this is something I expect to see sooner rather than later. And hey, getting a card off of the ban list is always a good thing!

Project Goa'uld
(Project Goa'uld is a boutique expansion to celebrate [REDACTED].)

Project Goa'uld is in testing, along with it's spiritual brother, Project Blues (below). The two projects are alternating weeks with testers, to give them some variety and to give the design teams time to update the files. Goa'uld is a boutique-style project themed around something we haven't really built an expansion around before. It's interesting and I have high hopes for the final project. Again, I apologize for being coy, but I really want to surprise everyone with this.

I believe this product will be out either in late Summer, or autumn, of this year.

Project Blues
(Project Blues is a Delta Quadrant themed boutique product.)

Our Delta Quadrant boutique product, Project Blues, is in testing along with it's spiritual brother, Project Goa'uld. The testing is going well, and I say without hyperbole this file has provoked the most excited reaction from our testers as I've seen in years. We're excited for everyone to finally see this project, since it was created specifically to address a community demand.

Like Goa'uld, I'm targeting this for release in either late Summer, or autumn, of 2018. Between the two, whichever one is finished first will come out first, but we won't know that until we're further into testing.

Project Delenn
(Project Delenn is the first expansion of Block 5, the TOS block, and focuses on [Fed] and [NA].)

I have put more work into Project Delenn that I have ever put into a project in my life. We set lofty and difficult goals for ourselves, and we're bending over backwards to meet them. Along the way, we've challenged assumption after assumption, rule after rule, and everything that's left in the file is far better for the work. In addition to providing new options for [OS] decks, we're working hard to eliminate barriers to the game and to avoid traditional restrictions. So much of your feedback has been baked into this project, I am anxious and excited to see how it turns out.

Our team, including myself, co-lead James Monsebroten (Orbin), Jason Drake (wambundu) and James Heaney (BCSWowbagger) are working tirelessly on this. We've written and rewritten cards based on early feedback, and we're adding a ton of extra work up front to make things easier for testers, rules, and creative later. All of this work has lead to a much higher quality product, but it's also slowed things down. This is why Project Blues and Project Goa'uld have jumped in front of her for testing. As soon as those expansions turn the corner, this beast will be given to our testers; hopefully that will happen in July. That does mean that it's unlikely this expansion will come out before December, but I'm confident the frameworks we're building now will lead to a much, much better set of products for you in the future.

Project G'Kar
(Project G'Kar is the second expansion of the TOS block, focusing on the Romulans.)

Not much has changed for this project, other than a very rough update to the eta: I expect this to be released in Spring of 2019. Here's the text from the previous update, for reference:

Dan Hamman [SirDan] and his team have been waiting on the Project Delenn team to finalize their plans in order to get started designing, and I'm happy to report that has happened. They've just gotten started putting pen to paper (metaphorically) and will really get cranking once Delenn gets to testing. Project G'Kar will be continuing the themes of simplicity, strategic complexity, and archetype-driven design from Delenn, though I'm sure Dan will zig-zag as he loves to do.

Project Londo
(Project Londo is the third expansion in the TOS block, and will feature Klingons.)

Not much has changed for this project, other than a very rough update to the eta: I expect this to be released in Summer of 2019. Here's the text from the previous update, for reference:

James Monsebroten will be starting up his work on this expansion about halfway through testing on Project Delenn. This is why we have a new lead designer first co-lead an expansion, so they can split their focus once the first expansion is past the midway point and on stable ground. James has shown careful consideration and open-mindedness during his work on Project Delenn, and I'm confident he'll do similarly when he gets to run his own team.

Project Warrior
(Project Warrior is an exploratory design project looking for ways to do to ground combat what Tactics did for ship combat.)

Our team of exploratory designers, Allen Gould [AllenGould] and Jon Carter [pfti] are starting to play around with ideas tried in Metamorphosis. The project was born from the attempted conversions of the Assault and Maneuver cards, which weren't satisfying in the original file. Allen and Jon will be working hard on this, trying to innovate, over the next few months.

Project Annika
(Project Annika is an exploratory design project looking for ways to play Borg along with other affiliations.)

Project Annika is investigating the idea of Borg cards being in non-Borg decks and/or non-Borg cards being in Borg decks. Jorn Engstrom (admiral-mogh) is the coordinator for Project Annika, and he and his team have a lot of big, exciting ideas. That's idea for these exploratory projects, because it's all about trying things without deadlines or fear of failure. Now, they'll test and try their ideas and hopefully get a better sense of the possibilities.

Well, I didn't really have a lot of new stuff for you to read up on today, but I hope you enjoyed the update anyway. There are a lot of really cool things coming, even if some of them are taking more time to see the light of day than I'd like. But I'd always rather delay a project and make sure it's great, than rush it and put it out in subpar condition. I hope you'll forgive these delays as long as we continue to be upright and honest about them with you. But even with delays, there's some cool stuff coming. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments, anything I can give you more information on, or just if there's something you'd like to see more (or less of) in future updates.

-crp
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
MidnightLich wrote: We're also going to be officially bringing an updated TNG block card pool back as a permanent addition for you to play. Once Coming of Age releases, the card pool for this option will include it, all of the Homefront expansions, The Next Generation, The Next Generation: Supplemental, Engage, The Sky's the Limit, and Warp Pack: Emissary.
This is my favorite part of this entire post.

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]