This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Over the years, 1E players have created a lot of really useful threads and documents -- too many for all of them to be stickied without overwhelming the forum. Here are some of them.

1E Player-Created Resources

List of All Errata (by jrch5618)
This list details every single card ever to receive errata in the game, the exact changes that were made, and why they were made.

List of Broken Links (by jrch5618)
The 1E Design team sometimes likes to create "broken links" -- references on cards to other cards that don't actually exist (yet). (The idea is that, eventually, all broken links will be fixed.) This post exhaustively lists everything in the game that could reasonably be construed as a broken link.

I Have A Rules Question! What Do I Do? (by 1E Rules Liaison)
This thread highlights all of the rules documents, resources, and rules personnel who can help you answer your 1E Rules Questions.

Abbreviations (by Iron Prime)
1E uses a whole lot of abbreviations, initialisms, and acronyms. People say things like, "I'd like to try running PNZ/HBI deck with no GQ, but I'm worried it won't work as long as QtR is so easily accessed with QT:CW/TribQ, not to mention interference by HTSBEG." And they expect you to know what they mean! This post by Iron Prime, maintained regularly for the past nine years (as of April 2017), will help you decode the most common slang.

1E Inventory Spreadsheet (by EHCCGPP)
This is a spreadsheet you can use to keep track of the cards in your collection. As of April 2017, it's updated with every set (even virtual sets) and has been since early 2013. Personally, I use this spreadsheet, and it's an indispensable aid when I go to see what cards I have available to trade.

Why Was That Card Banned? 2019 Edition (by BCSWowbagger)
An update of MilesStuntDouble's original post explaining the initial OTF bans, this list incorporates archival research from various 1E staff forums to give the story behind each card currently on the ban list.

Playing Online With LackeyCCG (by eberlems) (originally scox)
This thread is so important it has its own sticky already, but it's repeated here: this thread explains how to play Star Trek Cards online, for free, using free software, plus free plugins created and maintained by members of this forum. To find someone to play online with, post in the Online Tournaments board or visit The Dojo on Discord.

List of Starter Decks (by Pazuzu)
The CC has a lot of official starter decks, and there are even some unofficial ones floating around, but the website currently makes it hard to find them. Pazuzu has gathered them all into a helpful list here!

List of Beginner Decks (by BCSWowbagger)
A step above starter decks, these are some playtested, validated decks that play simply enough for a beginning player to pick them up and have fun at a tournament without getting creamed.

List of Traditional Decks (by SudenKapala)
These are some straightforward, non-high-level decks SudenKapala built for Traditional players (who do not use Virtual cards or modern rules/errata).

List of Draw Engines (by MidnightLich and the Forum Community)
At least at the time it was created, this was believed to be every draw engine in the game (although not every single card that can draw cards).

List of Headquarters Free Reports (by Takket)
A really handy way to save yourself a few dozen clicks in the search engine!

List of Romantic Partners (by Takket)
Another really handy way around the search engine!

List of Taking Charge Objectives (by Enabran)
Objectives downloadable with Taking Charge.

List of Events that "Play on Ship" (by Takket)
They play for free with Obsession.

List of Natives (by eberlems)
They play free with Preserver Obelisk.

How Cards Are Affected By Let Me Help (by BCSWowbagger)
Let Me Help boosts dilemmas, but it's not always clear how it works. Now it is! Last updated August 2019.

List of Easter Eggs (by Various)
Decipher and the CC both put easter eggs on cards. Did you know about all these?

Borg Resource List (by SudenKapala)
FAQ's, links to forum discussions, deck designs, and drone lists, all assembled for your convenience!

Dienstag ist Dilemmatag (Tuesday Is Dilemma Day) (by Kaiser)
YouTube series covering powerful dilemma combos weekly. A very nice PDF version of the first ten episodes is here.

Alternate Formats/Pools

Warp Speed Cube Draft (by Pants of the Tal Shiar)
It's a Cube! It's Warp Speed! It's fun!

Warp Speed Cube, Bavarian Style (by Ausgang)
Still cube! Still Warp Speed! Still fun!

Chicago Cube (by JeBuS)
Based on the Jaeger Cube from South Dakota, with a randomized personnel matrix.

External Resources

List of Rules Documents (by BCSWowbagger)
All printed rulebooks, FAQs, and rules supplements that I have been able to get my hands on are here. It's not too pretty, but it's near-complete for the CC era, and covers more of the Decipher era than anything else I'm aware of. Please PM me if you have any documents that I don't have in the archive.

The Dojo on Discord (by bosskamiura)
The Dojo is a Discord channel and the unofficial hub of online play for 1E, 2E, and Tribbles. If you want to learn how to play online, it has a big community of enthusiasts who will help you get up to speed. The Dojo also organizes and hosts online tournaments on a near-monthly basis. Especially if you live in a "player desert" without a lot of nearby Trek players, the Dojo is where you want to be.

Zef'no's Very Short Introduction (by Zef'no)
A rough-and-ready four-page rulebook which (most notably) features a short explanation of all the icons in the game.

Skills to Pass Dilemmas (by Zef'no)
Everybody knows that every deck needs a bunch of MEDICAL, but how much Greed do you need to keep yourself from being permanently blocked by a dilemma? How much Stellar Cartography? Here's a list of all the skills you might need in your deck in order to pass all of the dilemma "walls" in the game. Although a couple years out of date, it's still a very useful starting place. (Oh, and the answer is zero and one, respectively.)

Open Format Tutorial (Powerpoints) (by r00t61)
Player r00t61 created a series of tutorials for the game in 2009. Although Open Format has been largely supplanted by Official Tournament Format since 2010, it's still a great (and amazingly comprehensive) introduction to the game.

Quantum Incursions Alexa Skill (by Corbinq27)
Rolling and scanning for Quantum Incursions can be a headache if it comes up a few times in a game. No problem: Corbinq made a freely downloadable Alexa skill for it, so all you have to do is say, "Alexa, roll Quantum Incursions," and Alexa will tell you what the requirements currently are! (Corbinq also made some neat hi-res versions of QI which each set of requirements on it, which you can find here.)

The Holy Hexany - an early-2000s article describing a powerful combination of six interrupts (mostly banned at present) that had an enormous influence on the game's future development.

The Brady Strategy Guide - as beloved as it is obsolete, the 1995 STCCG Brady Strategy Guide is a piece of history happily preserved in amber at the Internet Archive

German-Language Rules & Strategy Articles (by LuthySloan and various)
I must confess, I have no idea what any of these say. But they look pretty handy to German-speaking players trying to deal with the merciless precision of this persnickety English-language game.

Anything missing?

(Finding and promoting awesome old threads and documents is my favorite part of being a mod.)

Germes Rules Supplement Archive (by STCCG Germes)
All printed rulebooks and rules supplements from the "Decipher Era" are hosted here. UPDATE 2 May 18: Germes seems to have been hacked and deleted. Link now points to WayBack Machine archive of it.

Dilemma Combo App (by Timo)
This is an app that generates dilemma combos for you! A terrific tool for testing or solitaire play! UPDATE 18 Feb 20: No longer online, but Timo has donated the source code to the CC, so it could conceivably return someday.
Last edited by BCSWowbagger on Wed May 02, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By kingmj4891 (Matthew King)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
:thumbsup: :cheersL:

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks for taking the time to consolidate all of these!

By Corbinq27
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
let's not forget about the handy-dandy (not tournament sanctioned) Quantum Incursions roller on the Amazon Echo:

https://www.amazon.com/Nibroc-Productio ... B01N4INFCR

I've also created QI cards that could, in theory, be used to make a QI side deck sort of thing. Again, these are not tournament legal but could be used in a friendly game:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/podcasts.nibro ... QI/qi.html

By VioletBlaze (Violet Edgar)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
anguss wrote:
Corbinq27 wrote:I've also created QI cards that could, in theory, be used to make a QI side deck sort of thing. Again, these are not tournament legal but could be used in a friendly game:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/podcasts.nibro ... QI/qi.html
That's just amazing! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It feels unnatural (to me at least) to roll dice in a card game.

Andrey
Just make sure to replace and reshuffle the cards after every use, otherwise they won't have the same distribution as dice/RNG (if you encounter a combo you know you won't encounter it again unless you replace it each time)

By anguss (Andrey Gusev)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
VioletBlaze wrote:Just make sure to replace and reshuffle the cards after every use, otherwise they won't have the same distribution as dice/RNG (if you encounter a combo you know you won't encounter it again unless you replace it each time)
Good point!
The preffered way for me is to use them as a side deck and reshuffle thoroughly before picking one on each encounter. Just as you do with Arkham encounters 8)

Andrey

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I know I've seen a handy pdf (or similar image media) with all icons in the game and what they are called but canät find it any more. Or has this already been found and put here?
 -  
Community Contributor
Smiley wrote:I know I've seen a handy pdf (or similar image media) with all icons in the game and what they are called but canät find it any more. Or has this already been found and put here?
Zef'no's Very Short Introduction has this. The Draft Rulebook also has an icon legend at the end, but Zef's is shorter and easier to read.

Speaking of Zef'no PDFs... Zef'no, do you still have your List Of Dilemma-Required Skills? Has it been updated recently? I loved that document but mislaid my copy... and, in the Broken Bow world, it will be more helpful than ever!

By Zef'No
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:Zef'no's Very Short Introduction has this. The Draft Rulebook also has an icon legend at the end, but Zef's is shorter and easier to read.

Speaking of Zef'no PDFs... Zef'no, do you still have your List Of Dilemma-Required Skills? Has it been updated recently? I loved that document but mislaid my copy... and, in the Broken Bow world, it will be more helpful than ever!
Thanks, I really should update both of these when I get a chance (been busy!). Maybe over the weekend...

The dilemma thing can still be found here, but it's very dated now. Like I said, I'll see about modernising it at some point. Any suggestions for improvement btw, feel free to pm me.

EDIT: The Short Intro has now been updated (same link, but you may need to refresh the page). I have added the Botany Bay icon (hard to explain concisely) and the Vulcan affiliation, and a bit of cleaning up etc. Lmk if I've missed anything. The dilemmas will have to wait.
 -  
Community Contributor
Added an article on The Holy Hexany, because people ask about hexany a lot (still!) and this explanation is superlative.

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
List of Broken Links updated for Live Long and Prosper - having grown by a net of 6 entries (7 added, 1 removed). (Also recently added a broken link harkening back to "Terran Empire" about Neutral-22-MQ cards and just realized after it closed that I missed one - Vulcan artifacts).

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]