This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
DarkSabre wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote: Yeah, this is partly it. Solver decks often take a ton of time making downloads 'n' stuff happen. They're "speedy" in the sense of minimizing turns, but they don't care how many *minutes* they burn, because the game incentivizes them to reduce their turns and burn minutes (so that interference decks facing them, requiring more turns to win, will be forced to a mod win).
I have had the opposite experience. 'Direct solver' decks know exactly what they are doing and due to OTF Rules & Bans make it a lot faster because you aren't really trying to decide between 5 to 7 different choices but instead only have one personnel you know you are grabbing and maybe a couple of other actions.
And do all of these players using direct solvers have the experience to know exactly what to do when there's a bunch of Jem'hadar on their outpost or a Borg Cube on top of them?

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Latok wrote: And do all of these players using direct solvers have the experience to know exactly what to do when there's a bunch of Jem'hadar on their outpost or a Borg Cube on top of them?

Weep openly? Or is that just me? :p

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Latok wrote:
DarkSabre wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote: Yeah, this is partly it. Solver decks often take a ton of time making downloads 'n' stuff happen. They're "speedy" in the sense of minimizing turns, but they don't care how many *minutes* they burn, because the game incentivizes them to reduce their turns and burn minutes (so that interference decks facing them, requiring more turns to win, will be forced to a mod win).
I have had the opposite experience. 'Direct solver' decks know exactly what they are doing and due to OTF Rules & Bans make it a lot faster because you aren't really trying to decide between 5 to 7 different choices but instead only have one personnel you know you are grabbing and maybe a couple of other actions.
And do all of these players using direct solvers have the experience to know exactly what to do when there's a bunch of Jem'hadar on their outpost or a Borg Cube on top of them?
In my decks? Yes. I am prepared for Borg & for Jem'Hadar. As a Dominion player I would find myself kicked out of the Dominion Club if I didn't have a counter to that tactic in my deck.

Borg are different but it isn't impossible to avoid them or make it so bothersome that they will lose the game if they keep chasing you.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote: One note: I know that in Magic The Gathering Online, you automatically lose if your time expires.
That's how it works in chess, too. And Chess Clock Jenga, for that matter.
That's the worst thing about MGTO also. I lost so many matches because of time where I wouldn't have gone to time in a real tournament.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
DarkSabre wrote:
Latok wrote:
DarkSabre wrote: I have had the opposite experience. 'Direct solver' decks know exactly what they are doing and due to OTF Rules & Bans make it a lot faster because you aren't really trying to decide between 5 to 7 different choices but instead only have one personnel you know you are grabbing and maybe a couple of other actions.
In my decks? Yes. I am prepared for Borg & for Jem'Hadar. As a Dominion player I would find myself kicked out of the Dominion Club if I didn't have a counter to that tactic in my deck.

Borg are different but it isn't impossible to avoid them or make it so bothersome that they will lose the game if they keep chasing you.
OK not what I asked but 1 (Austin Chandler) down, another 120 to confirm. Guess what the majority are going to be 'no' they don't know what to do when someone fucks with their plans and then they'll play much much slower.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Latok wrote: And do all of these players using direct solvers have the experience to know exactly what to do when there's a bunch of Jem'hadar on their outpost or a Borg Cube on top of them?

OK not what I asked but 1 (Austin Chandler) down, another 120 to confirm. Guess what the majority are going to be 'no' they don't know what to do when someone fucks with their plans and then they'll play much much slower.
If you are playing a direct solver and you aren't planning for someone to interfere with your deck then you aren't planning your deck.

I mean my mind is currently in competitive mode and I do not get to play much 'casual' 1E at all. In the past year the majority of my events have been regionals or above so been more competitive than anything else.

You are correct: Most direct solvers, looking at the deck lists here on TrekCC, are not equipped to handle getting messed around but when you look at some of the speedy 'direct solver' decks you will start to see some cards that are in their deck to deal with such things

Hail, Transporter Inhibitor, Ablative Armor - these aren't crazy cards to put into a deck and can usually throw a monkey wrench enough into your opponents plans that they aren't sure what to do either and will maybe shift gears to not try and interfere.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
DarkSabre wrote:I would find myself kicked out of the Dominion Club if I didn't have a counter to that tactic in my deck.
I think you're breaking the first rule of Dominion Club...
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
geraldkw wrote:
AllenGould wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote: One note: I know that in Magic The Gathering Online, you automatically lose if your time expires.
That's how it works in chess, too. And Chess Clock Jenga, for that matter.
That's the worst thing about MGTO also. I lost so many matches because of time where I wouldn't have gone to time in a real tournament.
Since 1E is not a game designed to be completed in the amount of time a tournament permits, it seems absurd to penalize a player with an automatic full loss for being the first to run out of time. Your game may end there on a chess clock system, but, if your opponent cant catch up in time remaining, you should still get the win.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
It might make more sense for a Star Trek CCG to use a byo-yomi time system, as in Go.

For those who don't know how this works:

Each player receives T amount of time, which flows freely during their turn (as in a chess clock system).

When a player has run out of T time, they transition to "byo-yomi" or overtime, which is denoted in X periods of Y seconds each (for instance: 4 periods of 20 seconds each).

From that point forward, every time a player is on the clock (i.e. during their turn, or when they're tasked with making a choice or selection during their opponent's turn), their Xth period starts to run out. If they use more than Y seconds, then they lose the Xth period and their (X-1)th period starts to run out...and so on.

Whenever they're done, they regain all the time on whatever period they were currently on - but they don't gain any periods they lost completely. If they use up their final period without making a move, they lose the game.

So if you have 4 periods of 20 seconds and you're in overtime, the following can happen:

-Your move takes 15 seconds. You lost no periods and so on your next "turn," you'll still have 4 periods of 20 seconds each.
-Your move takes 30 seconds. You lose one period (20 seconds), but you regenerate the 10 seconds you spent on your second period. On your next "turn," you'll have 3 periods of 20 seconds each.
-Your move takes 75 seconds. You lose three periods (60 seconds), but you regenerate the 15 seconds you spent on your fourth (final) period. On your next "turn," you'll have 1 period of 20 seconds.
-You fail to make a move in 80 seconds. You burned through all your periods and lose the game.

This system is much more lenient, while still keeping the time pressure up. For the majority of the game, you can spend your time as you please - but if you burn it all, then you feel the pressure of overtime. You don't lose - you just have to move quickly. If you're on your last period, you'll just move super-fast (better to draw your end-of-turn draw then lose the game!). Your moves may not be optimal, but that's the price you pay for dragging your feet earlier in the game.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Since 1E is not a game designed to be completed in the amount of time a tournament permits, it seems absurd to penalize a player with an automatic full loss for being the first to run out of time. Your game may end there on a chess clock system, but, if your opponent cant catch up in time remaining, you should still get the win.
I'm not sure what point you're after here - Chess and Magic (and Jenga) aren't designed to be completed in a particular amount of time either. The time clock is there either to accommodate the realities of tournaments (a.k.a. "we have twelve more rounds to play today") or specifically *to* add time pressure (speed chess or Jenga).

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:Found these on amazon. Very small 1/4" and many colors. Would these be considered acceptable for labeling my dilemma combos and Q's tent cards? and free reports to thinks like HQs, [WC] , [RC] etc.........

https://www.amazon.com/Coding-Circle-La ... ay&sr=8-15
That's basically what I use.

I got mine at WalMart and there were only 4 colors but same concept, yeah.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
I would totally use those if I built more 1E decks.

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Takket wrote:Found these on amazon. Very small 1/4" and many colors. Would these be considered acceptable for labeling my dilemma combos and Q's tent cards? and free reports to things like HQs, [WC] , [RC] etc.........

I think that's perfect for what you describe.

-crp

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:
Takket wrote:Found these on amazon. Very small 1/4" and many colors. Would these be considered acceptable for labeling my dilemma combos and Q's tent cards? and free reports to things like HQs, [WC] , [RC] etc.........

I think that's perfect for what you describe.

-crp

I use something similar

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.