• 801 posts

By mrpurple
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks all for the help. Much appreciated. As someone trying to learn all the rules coming in years later it can be confusing (I stopped playing after First Contact years ago).
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
mrpurple wrote:Thanks all for the help. Much appreciated. As someone trying to learn all the rules coming in years later it can be confusing (I stopped playing after First Contact years ago).
Oh, yeah, it's tough. Please tell us anything we can do to ease the transition, either for you or returning players who come later!
Discovery suxs wrote:Straight from glossary

To begin or continue a mission attempt, or to complete the mission, at least one crew or Away Team member must match one of the mission’s affiliation icons (if any); other (nonmatching) personnel in the crew or Away Team can assist in the attempt. (Dual-icon missions require a matching personnel in both the crew and the Away Team. Also, to attempt a space mission, at least one crew member must match the ship’s affiliation. The ship does not have to be staffed for movement or match the mission’s affiliation.) If you lose all matching personnel during the mission attempt, the mission attempt ends. (However, if you remove all matching personnel during a dilemma encounter with a card that suspends play, such as Flight of the Intruder, but other non-matching personnel remain, the dilemma resolves normally
Do you have an outdated Glossary? I think that's the old quote. My Glossary (v.1.9.6, January 2019) reads:
To begin a mission attempt, or to solve the
mission, at least one crew or Away Team
member must match one of the mission’s
affiliation icons (if any); other (nonmatching)
personnel in the crew or Away Team assist
in the attempt. Also, to attempt a space
mission, at least one crew member must
match the ship’s affiliation. (The ship does
not have to be staffed for movement or
match the mission’s affiliation.) Some cards
may add further limitations (e.g. Quantum
Torpedo) or requirements (e.g. Homefront)
for attempting a mission; these are checked
only when starting the attempt. (See dual-icon mission.)
This shows that I did get a detail wrong: affiliations are checked at both start of the attempt and at the solve step, but other restrictions are checked only at the start of the attempt (not the solve step).

But my main point, that affiliations and other restrictions are no longer checked during or between dilemmas, seems to be correct.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: This shows that I did get a detail wrong: affiliations are checked at both start of the attempt and at the solve step, but other restrictions are checked only at the start of the attempt (not the solve step).
Which is just 'cause "can you attempt" and "can you solve" are different things - it's just that some things get checked in both (like "do you have the right affiliation").

I'd missed this change getting announced, but I do like it - cleaner and makes dilemmas a bit nastier. :thumbsup:

By mrpurple
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
mrpurple wrote:Thanks all for the help. Much appreciated. As someone trying to learn all the rules coming in years later it can be confusing (I stopped playing after First Contact years ago).
Oh, yeah, it's tough. Please tell us anything we can do to ease the transition, either for you or returning players who come later!
[/quote]

Thank for the kind words! Obviously I have tons more questions :)

I was thinking of playing a deck that mixed in the Revised version of Voyager crew with the originals. My question is about the Doorway card Holodeck Door:

https://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?cardID=1294

When is this card played from hand? Would playing this replace my report for the turn of a crew member or shuttle?
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
It is not a card play. you can play the doorway at any time on your turn. It does count as your one download a turn. But it is a great way to get another person in play on your turn.
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
mrpurple wrote:I was thinking of playing a deck that mixed in the Revised version of Voyager crew with the originals. My question is about the Doorway card Holodeck Door:

https://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?cardID=1294

When is this card played from hand? Would playing this replace my report for the turn of a crew member or shuttle?
[Door] Doorway cards mostly play like [Int] Interrupts: you can play them at any time (between other actions), and they do not use your regular card play.

The only difference is that [Int] Interrupts can play on your turn or your opponent's turn. [Door] Doorways can only play on your turn.

The other difference is that it actually makes sense for [Int] Interrupts to play any time for free, since they're supposed to "Interrupt" something else. It makes zero sense to me that [Door] Doorways can play any time for free, unlike so many other card types, especially with that weird restriction that they play only on your turn.

But whatever. That's the rules.

So you can play Holodeck Door any time on your turn (before your regular card play, after your regular card play, right after a mission attempt ends, whatever) and download a card with it. That will not use your normal card play.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
https://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?mod ... ardID=1303

I understand the first part of home away from home.
I'm confused with the part below.

If any other non-Borg ship: while not in its native quadrant, your personnel who match ship's affiliation and native quadrant (and your equipment) may report aboard.

Does this mean I can report my alpha personal aboard the ship in delta?

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Discovery suxs wrote:https://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?mod ... ardID=1303

If any other non-Borg ship: while not in its native quadrant, your personnel who match ship's affiliation and native quadrant (and your equipment) may report aboard.

Yes, if the ship is also [AQ] and matching. So [AQ] [Fed] can't report to the U.S.S. Voyager in [1E-DQ] , but can report to the U.S.S. Enterprise in [1E-DQ] .

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Koon-ut-kal-if-fee under the influence of Let Me Help reads

Randomly select two Vulcan males OR opponent chooses two personnel. To get past, personnel must relocate to matching homeworld OR battle strongest other male present.

Correct?

Also, I assume this overrides affiliation attack restrictions?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Professor Scott wrote:
Discovery suxs wrote:https://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?mod ... ardID=1303

Yes, if the ship is also [AQ] and matching. So [AQ] [Fed] can't report to the U.S.S. Voyager in [1E-DQ] , but can report to the U.S.S. Enterprise in [1E-DQ] .
Ok cool thanks for the help.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I believe so. Unless there is a [MQ] [OS] personnel without [1E-AU] that I am forgetting...

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Sphere Encounter
[HA] [BO]
Seeds or plays on table. Each of your Borg spheres is RANGE +4. Also, whenever opponent initiates an attempt of one of your [S] missions that you have scouted, you may report with crew to that location any number of Borg spheres (downloading spheres, personnel and equipment as desired); each may initiate battle (regardless of your current objective) or move away.

what does "scouted" mean?

You made a scouting attempt?
You completed scouting (but not necessarily an objective yet)
You completed an objective targeting the mission.

I think it is the first one because it doesn't say "completed scouting" or something similar like Stop First Contact

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Takket wrote:what does "scouted" mean?
A mission has been scouted if a player completes scouting at that mission. Thus a mission you have scouted is a mission at which you have completed scouting.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]