• 801 posts

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:Are these statements accurate, and if not, where am I wrong........

Sybok will refuse to work with a Federation personnel under the influence of Ceti Eel OR Brainwash because of his restriction box. However, I could "Release This Pain" that personnel and then Sybok would work with him/her.

Khan will refuse to work with a Federation personnel under the influence of Release This Pain OR Brainwash because of his restriction box. However, I could Ceti Eel that personnel and then Khan would work with him/her.

I cannot mix a Jean-Luc Picard under the influence of Ceti Eel with a Gowron under the influence of Release This Pain because RTP & Eel do not allow mixing "regardless of affiliation" unlike a card such as Brainwash of Temporal Micro Wormhole.

Also, can I seed Terok Nor and Chamber of Ministers at Bajor? Chamber says a "Nor may coexist here" so I assume the means Terok Nor OR DS9
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:Also, can I seed Terok Nor and Chamber of Ministers at Bajor? Chamber says a "Nor may coexist here" so I assume the means Terok Nor OR DS9
Yes.

I'll answer the other one when there's links to the cards cuz I'm feeding the baby and it's too hard to search for cards one-handed. (But Brian likely right.)

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Regarding Beware of Q's errata....... what is the difference between reveal and encounter? What did this errata change?

In OTF... you may only seed 2 of each dilemma DURING THE SEED PHASE. Does this mean I can still swap out a dilemma with a Q-Flash via BoQ even if it is my third Q-Flash? and may i download a Male's Love Interest with Shore Leave even if I seeded two MLIs in the seed phase? Feezal Phlox really wants to know.
 -  
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:Regarding Beware of Q's errata....... what is the difference between reveal and encounter? What did this errata change?
"Reveal" means you get to see the dilemma your opponent will be facing.

"Encounter" meant that you would get to see the dilemma your opponent would face and whether opponent would pass it (and who it would kill and so on and so forth). So you could wait to use BoQ until you knew for certain that your opponent was going to pass (and/or that it wasn't going to kill the people you wanted it to, etc.).

So the new timing was really probably the original intent of BoQ, and gives the BoQ user much less control over the outcome.
In OTF... you may only seed 2 of each dilemma DURING THE SEED PHASE. Does this mean I can still swap out a dilemma with a Q-Flash via BoQ even if it is my third Q-Flash? and may i download a Male's Love Interest with Shore Leave even if I seeded two MLIs in the seed phase? Feezal Phlox really wants to know.
Yes. This is also why Disrupted Continuum is a very powerful card (and why it excludes dual dilemmas).

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
If you happen to Revolving Door the Tent: Civil War, as long as the door is closed, does the gamestate recognize those as "in-play" for ref downloading purposes?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Mogh, Son Of Worf wrote:Depends on whether you have Tribunal or not. With Tribunal, you can still download the ref cards, you cannot without Tribunal.
Tribunal let's you look at places that are closed? I was going with "they weren't recognized, ie the door is closed so they aren't in the game, ie no valid target".

By Mogh, Son Of Worf (Meinhard S. Rohr)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Swedish National Champion 2018
It does not "let you look", it allows you ignore the effect of revolving door in order to download the ref card.
I don't know the rules-lawyering of whether you are allowed to look for the ref card (in the strictest games you are not allowed to look into any side deck I think - but nobody cares usually), but you may announce the download of a specific card from the tent without looking for it beforehand.
 -  
Community Contributor
prylardurden wrote:Tribunal let's you look at places that are closed?
Pretty much the only thing Tribunal doesn't let you do is stand up from the table, head over to the counter, buy a pack of 1E, open it up, and download whatever Ref cards you find in the pack.

And the only reason it doesn't allow that is because nobody sells packs of 1E anymore.

As a rule of thumb, read Tribunal to say, "You get to download your Ref cards, and no power in the 'verse can stop you." I know that's Design's intent, and it's how Rules generally interprets it, and, if ever someone found a problematic interaction, Errata'd fix it.

I suppose this is not a bad argument for your position that Tribunal is a bad card. It's less a card and more a mega-silver-bullet.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
prylardurden wrote:Tribunal let's you look at places that are closed?
Pretty much the only thing Tribunal doesn't let you do is stand up from the table, head over to the counter, buy a pack of 1E, open it up, and download whatever Ref cards you find in the pack.

And the only reason it doesn't allow that is because nobody sells packs of 1E anymore.

As a rule of thumb, read Tribunal to say, "You get to download your Ref cards, and no power in the 'verse can stop you." I know that's Design's intent, and it's how Rules generally interprets it, and, if ever someone found a problematic interaction, Errata'd fix it.

I suppose this is not a bad argument for your position that Tribunal is a bad card. It's less a card and more a mega-silver-bullet.
From page 26 of the glossary:
When a doorway is closed, its ongoing game text related to its “doorway functions” is not active. For example, no cards may be taken from a closed side deck,
I'm not saying that Tribunal doesn't ignore things like Computer Crash, etc. I'm saying it doesn't have a valid target to look for. A closed Civil Tent (not active) does not have 13 Ref cards for Tribunal to get.

I'm also aware that this is a one-turn chance as the opponent can use the next start of turn to reopen the revolving door.
 -  
Community Contributor
prylardurden wrote:I'm not saying that Tribunal doesn't ignore things like Computer Crash, etc. I'm saying it doesn't have a valid target to look for. A closed Civil Tent (not active) does not have 13 Ref cards for Tribunal to get.
But the Civil Tent isn't closed to Tribunal. I think that's Mogh's point.

Civil Tent is only closed because of the effect that Revolving Door has on it. But Tribunal allows you "ignore any effect," including Revolving Door's effect, which means the Civil Tent can be treated as open during a Tribunal download.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
prylardurden wrote:I'm not saying that Tribunal doesn't ignore things like Computer Crash, etc. I'm saying it doesn't have a valid target to look for. A closed Civil Tent (not active) does not have 13 Ref cards for Tribunal to get.

Civil Tent is only closed because of the effect that Revolving Door has on it. But Tribunal allows you "ignore any effect," including Revolving Door's effect, which means the Civil Tent can be treated as open during a Tribunal download.
Can Q the Ref see "closed" cards?

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: I think they actually do die at the same time under ordinary circumstances. You could respond to both deaths simultaneously with something that saves people en masse. However, The Beating Heart does indeed force you respond to each death separately, which does create a sequence where one gets saved first, which means the other can't be saved because the savior is stopped.
:thumbsup:

Similarly, you can't have both halves of a couple save each other.
 -  
Community Contributor
prylardurden wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:

Can Q the Ref see "closed" cards?
No. If you Revolving Door a Civil War Tent and opponent has Q the Ref with no Tribunal, then he can't download anything from the War Tent.

Because, yes, at that point, the Tent is closed, it's no longer a valid target of anything, and Q the Referee can't ignore that.
Building on the questions I asked a few days ago..... Are Brainwashed personnel discarded by Revenge Is a Dish Best Served Cold? They are not my personnel... they are my opponent's. But then I see "your" in the glossary says personnel you control even if temporarily.......
Weirdly, we just had to ask Rules this question (well, similar) for a card in Delenn.

The answer is, yes, they are all discarded. As soon as you take control of them, they are "your" personnel and "you" have them in play, so they go away at end of turn unless you give them Ceti Eels. Same thing if you're playing Federation Flagship: Relaunched and Brainwash an opponent's Fed personnel.

(Yes, this means your opponent can use The Naked Truth to disable your We're Ready.)

I think the reason Continuing Mission invented the "play or have played" lingo was to get around this gotchya.

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.