• 801 posts
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Borg King wrote:If an opponent's Dilemma destroys your ship with Mona Lisa on board, does that count as you're opponent being directly responsible for destroying the Artifact?

I'm guessing no as you don't *have* to attempt/scout that mission?

:borg:
After years of ambiguity, this was finally given a definitive answer in a CRD entry just a few months ago:
Mona Lisa - You are directly responsible for destroying this artifact if your non-dilemma card destroys it.
So no. If a ship is destroyed by a dilemma, Mona Lisa does not hold anybody responsible for it.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I still wonder how precisely the Mona Lisa can overload.

But that's a question for Kukalaka, Gold-Pressed Latinum and blade weapons as well...

By Borg King
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Borg King wrote:If an opponent's Dilemma destroys your ship with Mona Lisa on board, does that count as you're opponent being directly responsible for destroying the Artifact?

I'm guessing no as you don't *have* to attempt/scout that mission?

After years of ambiguity, this was finally given a definitive answer in a CRD entry just a few months ago:
Mona Lisa - You are directly responsible for destroying this artifact if your non-dilemma card destroys it.
So no. If a ship is destroyed by a dilemma, Mona Lisa does not hold anybody responsible for it.
I'm sure we'd see a lot more of her if dilemma's could be responsible! I figured this was the case but I'm always of two minds with any of the PAQ era cards. Thanks!

Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
Landed ships are not here, but the personel are on the planet,

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The Arsenal: Divided

Divide your unique crew members into two face-down piles. One pile is "stopped" (opponent's choice). To get past, ship must be staffed and have INTEGRITY>27 remaining.

After my opponent creates his/her two piles, do I get to look at the piles before I decide? or do I just get to pick either pile without looking?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:The Arsenal: Divided

Divide your unique crew members into two face-down piles. One pile is "stopped" (opponent's choice). To get past, ship must be staffed and have INTEGRITY>27 remaining.

After my opponent creates his/her two piles, do I get to look at the piles before I decide? or do I just get to pick either pile without looking?
The latter. Nothing says you get to see who is in which pile.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Open Diplomatic Relations

Plays on any opponent's ship. Your Away Teams which have a V.I.P. may beam to and from that ship, and it may not voluntarily move while your V.I.P. aboard. Discard objective if your personnel battle aboard that ship.

Supposing I beam to opponent's ship and battle, and ODR is discarded. My people are basically trapped there now right? But, there is nothing stopping me from playing a second copy of ODR and then beaming off, right?

Also.............. something I noticed about this card... it says "away teams which have VIP"... well if the VIP is on my ship at that point he/she is part of a "crew", not an away team. So can my VIP & crew beam over since they will be an "away team" when they arrive at the other end?
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Armus wrote:

I was wondering about this dilemma, do you get any knowledge of the piles? Like can I count how many cards are in each pile?

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Had an interesting scenerio came up,

Each of us had cards impacting attack restrictions, mine was a no attack restriction ie the emblem vs the We are metrons card. How does that resolve and why

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
Latok wrote:
Armus wrote:

I was wondering about this dilemma, do you get any knowledge of the piles? Like can I count how many cards are in each pile?
Yes. You can always count cards.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:Open Diplomatic Relations

Plays on any opponent's ship. Your Away Teams which have a V.I.P. may beam to and from that ship, and it may not voluntarily move while your V.I.P. aboard. Discard objective if your personnel battle aboard that ship.

Supposing I beam to opponent's ship and battle, and ODR is discarded. My people are basically trapped there now right? But, there is nothing stopping me from playing a second copy of ODR and then beaming off, right?

Also.............. something I noticed about this card... it says "away teams which have VIP"... well if the VIP is on my ship at that point he/she is part of a "crew", not an away team. So can my VIP & crew beam over since they will be an "away team" when they arrive at the other end?
Correct on all counts. That last part is a wording that probably wouldn't be used today ... but I'll note that saying "your crew which has a VIP" would mean that everyone has to beam over. When you select the subset of the crew that's going to beam over, you're forming an Away Team.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
BTW, it gets much easier to give an answer if you use the "card1" tag to link to the cards in your question.
Mogor wrote:Had an interesting scenerio came up,

Each of us had cards impacting attack restrictions, mine was a no attack restriction ie the emblem vs the We are the metrons card. How does that resolve and why
I suspect this one will have some debate. Please ask it again in a new thread.

By Borg King
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:

Under "selections" in ye old Glossary;

Opponent’s choice: When game text or a
rule states that a card is selected by
opponent’s choice, your opponent may
examine all of your cards in the group fully
(look at each entire card) before making the
selection, even if only some of them meet
specified criteria. For example, when you
encounter Impressive Trophies, your
opponent may examine all the cards in your
crew or Away Team before choosing a
captive meeting either of the listed criteria.

So wouldn't the opponent be able to look at both piles in this case before making a selection? Or does that fact that it states "card" in the entry excuse it in this situation?

Also; dilemma's like Rules of Obedience; does your opponent get to look through the entire away team before selecting, or do you only have to show the highest Integrity personnel and personnel with the lowest [SD] icons for them to choose between?

Clarity is always great here!

Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
Borg King wrote:
Armus wrote:

Under "selections" in ye old Glossary;

Opponent’s choice: When game text or a
rule states that a card is selected by
opponent’s choice, your opponent may
examine all of your cards in the group fully
(look at each entire card) before making the
selection, even if only some of them meet
specified criteria. For example, when you
encounter Impressive Trophies, your
opponent may examine all the cards in your
crew or Away Team before choosing a
captive meeting either of the listed criteria.

So wouldn't the opponent be able to look at both piles in this case before making a selection? Or does that fact that it states "card" in the entry excuse it in this situation?

Also; dilemma's like Rules of Obedience; does your opponent get to look through the entire away team before selecting, or do you only have to show the highest Integrity personnel and personnel with the lowest [SD] icons for them to choose between?

Clarity is always great here!

The above text does not apply to the arsenal because the opponent is not choosing a card, but a pile (so you cannot look).

However, a dilemma like Rules of Obedience does let you look at the entire crew/AT not just the legal targets.

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.