This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

-  
My son and have been learning to play using the Voyager and Borg expansions (only). The only problem is I have read the rules for playing as Borg and I am struggling to understand how a player wins when playing as the Borg (in both warp speed and full game versions).

If anyone could help me get it, I would appreciate it.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
First: welcome!

BORG IS HARD. Seriously, they are a tough gang to play. They're a tough gang to play against. They have a ton of special rules and bizarre cards that feel almost like they're playing an entirely different game. (The Borg don't even solve missions, properly speaking!) I never advise relatively new players to play them, simply because they are hard. Heck, I've been playing the game since 1994, and the first time I felt confident to play Borg was nine months ago -- and I borrowed a more experienced player's deck to do it!

Still, I'd be happy to walk you through all the vagaries of playing Borg. I'm heading to bed right now, but, for the moment, you might find this slideshow helpful. It's a few years out of date, but you're playing with cards from the early 2000s, so that shouldn't be a problem! And it's really a very good overview of how the Borg work -- and how they differ from every other affiliation.

Good luck!

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
The glossary entry on "Borg" is a pretty succinct summary of the way in which Borg are different. Check it out on the front page. Sub-topics can then be explored as desired and when needed.

Your question is somewhat broad. The Borg win by getting 100 points from [BO] objectives. The Borg can only have one [BO] objective card in play at a time (called their "current objective"). To swap or change them, they need either a card that let's them do so or they need to complete their current objective first, before playing a new one. Think of these [BO] objectives as being the Borg's currently assigned "mission."

Most standard [BO] objectives like Assimilate Planet target mission cards and let you scout them. Remember, Borg don't "attempt missions" or "complete missions" (any cards relating to mission attempts or completing missions have no effect on Borg). Rather, they target missions with [BO] objectives and then scout them with their drones. "Scouting" is basically using your Borg to try to clear out the dilemmas (analogous to an away team attempting the mission to clear out dilemmas). If "scouting is completed" (i.e., there are no dilemmas left) and any other conditions on the objective are fulfilled, then you can begin probing at the end of your next turn.

Look up "probing" in the glossary to learn how that works - it's basically a random mechanism that uses the top card of your deck to determine if you've successfully completed the [BO] objective yet. This is analogous to "completing the mission" with your skills if you were any other affiliation.

Once the objective is complete, you generally score the points on the objective and can play and begin a new [BO] objective on the following turn.

Remember that you CANNOT scout missions unless you have a [BO] objective that specifically allows you to do so (the Borg are single-minded and focused). Remember that you CANNOT swap [BO] objectives at will without a card that lets you do so, and you can only have one in play at a time. Remember that you CANNOT probe for an objective targeting a mission unless that mission already had scouting completed at the beginning of your turn (so you cleared it out at least one turn ago), unless you have a card that allows you to do so.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Some of the key cards for the Borg:

First, one thing to remember about Borg: they like their downloads. This is rather limited by the restrictions around downloads (either from General Quarters or its corresponding rule in OTF), but still very important. Generally, Borg download in place of drawing cards; in fact, Seven of Nine will let you draw a card instead of your normal card play.

A Change of Plans -- the main card that lets you swap out your [BO] Objective.

Borg Queen -- downloads that card, or any drone, in place of a card draw. Also gives the Borg access to skills they wouldn't otherwise have.

Borg Queen -- replaces your card play, rather than a draw, but can download any [BO] Event or Interrupt (including, of course, A Change of Plans).

Borg Queen -- gets We Are the Borg, first to download some drones, and second to get additional draws (or free reports). Also has some regular skills so you don't need to use her skill-selection skill on those.

Nine of Eleven -- skill-sharing, including whatever the Queen has selected.

Adapt: Negate Obstruction -- gets your Borg past almost any dilemma.

Service the Collective -- lets you probe on the same turn that you finish scouting. Often used in conjunction with Locutus of Borg and a mission selection involving Espionage Mission (make sure you use that one, and not Research Devastating Attack, because only the former is the Federation homeworld) and a bunch of [Fed] missions--which can also make your opponent think you're playing Federation rather than Borg. (You could also use Data of Borg if you prefer.)

They Will Be Coming -- get a big, nasty Borg Cube barreling down the spaceline, reporting drones for free every turn.

All that said, I'm no expert on Borg, and there are undoubtedly plenty of cards I've missed.

One more thing to note: while Borg are limited to one [BO] Objective, they can have as many [BO] Incidents as they want. (I think that's one reason the Incident card type was introduced in the first place.)

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
frakkingoff wrote:Given that OP is in a Voyager-only environment and probably doesn't have access to A Change of Plans, they'll probably want to use Fifth or Cranial Transceiver Implant if they need to swap objectives.
Technically, Voyager-only now includes A Change of Plans.

By Petrus
 -  
I was going to check out that linked Powerpoint presentation from ussexcelsior.com about how to play a Borg deck, but for some reason, Powerpoint is prompting me for a password when I try to open it. Any suggestions or ideas?

Edit: I looked at all the info from http://ussexcelsior.com/stccg1e/ and it didn't list anything there, either.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
^ This happens if you (or your version of Microsoft Office) try to open the file for editing rather than viewing. The file is okay to view, but is password-protected against editing. (I'd remove this password if I could, but the user who created them (r00t61) hasn't posted since 2010.) PowerPoint SHOULD default to viewing a pps file, not editing it, but some people's computers have trouble with it, for reasons I've never quite understood.

It might be worth writing to him, but the more likely path is figuring out how to open it in view-only mode rather than edit mode. Or try a different computer.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
I know this does not have to do with the Borg, but I wanted to state something regarding the Powerpoint guide.

I had begun reading the rules again, and again, and again, again, again.....it hurt my head. I'm a very visual person, was directed to the Powerpoint link after reading several post, and I have to say, it is SO HELPFUL!!

It makes so much more sense on how to play 1E. But obviously, there are a lot of possibilities to what you can do in each seed phase.

My question though is, is there a similar Powerpoint/guide for 2E as there was for 1E? I'm reading the rules to 2E, and it is much easier to understand than the 1E rules. But a Powerpoint for 2E would be really great!

Thank you!
Deck Design Strategy

And something else ... In Mtg, we always used to […]

Another achievement cycle, another no-update of ne[…]

I know that, when this was ruled, it was intended[…]

I get the FL 100-0....game over in 10 minutes due […]