This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Karr
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Hello folks,

i just had a nice match against a very good friend of mine.
he tried out some new cards regarding the romulan affiliation.

he used Distant Control and tried to solve a space mission using Drone Control Room.
He just engaged one of my dilemmas: The Arsenal: Divided

Well, and here we go with the question of the day:
the dilemma says: To get past, ship must be staffed and have INTEGRITY>27 remaining.

but the ship isnt staffed the way it is described in the glossary. so what is happening next?
are all those romulans stopped at the control room because they arent staffing the ship?

we played on this way: all dilemmas he engaged by using Distant Control and Drone Control Room affected the crew in that control room.
we also decided that they are staffing the ship.

did we do that the correct way?

thank u for your answers

Karr

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Karr wrote:Hello folks,

i just had a nice match against a very good friend of mine.
he tried out some new cards regarding the romulan affiliation.

he used Distant Control and tried to solve a space mission using Drone Control Room.
He just engaged one of my dilemmas: The Arsenal: Divided

Well, and here we go with the question of the day:
the dilemma says: To get past, ship must be staffed and have INTEGRITY>27 remaining.

but the ship isnt staffed the way it is described in the glossary. so what is happening next?
are all those romulans stopped at the control room because they arent staffing the ship?

we played on this way: all dilemmas he engaged by using Distant Control and Drone Control Room affected the crew in that control room.
we also decided that they are staffing the ship.

did we do that the correct way?

thank u for your answers

Karr
I think so. The people at the time location become the crew because the card says so. As long as there's an unstopped Empathy the rest of the people can contribute too.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Aw, nuts, I just realized I played this wrong the other night and lost an 8-person crew because of it. (Ironic. He could save others from misplaying Distant Control, but not himself.)

Yes, you did this correctly. Distant Control allows your Drone Control Room personnel to count as the crew for all purposes (including staffing) during the attempt. The Arsenal only cares about staffing within the context of the attempt, so your Drone Control Room personnel can meet the staffing requirements while facing that dilemma.

However, the instant the mission attempt ends, for whatever reason, that ceases. One of the strongest dilemmas against a Drone deck is the Radioactive Garbage Scow, because it ends the attempt immediately. Even if you put Activate Tractor Beam on one of your drones, you have to actually get 2 ENGINEER out to the physical location to move the Scow. (If you have Raptor Two at the Control Room, though, while Raptor One is off attempting, this can be fairly easy.)

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
I hit this combo in some personal testing, and I came to the opposite conclusion, that the ship is not staffed. Those personnel are the crew for mission attempts, but staffing is not an inherent part of mission attempts. And I looked at the language used on Drone Control Room, which makes it clear that (for the purposes of its effect) the personnel are not staffing the ship, you're just able to move it even though it isn't staffed.

A similar question is whether "aboard" on dilemmas means "on the ship (and unstopped)" or "part of the crew" -- for example, James, how would you say that Two-Dimensional Creatures works with Distant Control? My judgement was that Empaths are unaffected, since they're not on the ship.
 -  
Community Contributor
And I looked at the language used on Drone Control Room, which makes it clear that (for the purposes of its effect) the personnel are not staffing the ship, you're just able to move it even though it isn't staffed.
This is absolutely correct and unquestionable. Drone Control Room doesn't staff your drones, period. It just lets you move them.
commdecker wrote:Those personnel are the crew for mission attempts, but staffing is not an inherent part of mission attempts.
I tend to read this very slightly differently: those personnel are the crew during mission attempts. Since the mission attempt is a single, uninterruptable group action, anything that asks "oh hey who is the crew of this ship?" during the attempt (or one of its sub-actions, like a dilemma encounter) "sees" the personnel from Drone Control Room as the crew and resolves accordingly. The Arsenal asks, "Hey, who is the crew here? Do they meet staffing requirements?" and Distant Control room answers: "Here they are! They are the crew for this attempt!"

But if the mission attempt ends, you can't then turn around and play Narrow Escape on the drone to fly away. It's staffed only for the mission attempt.
A similar question is whether "aboard" on dilemmas means "on the ship (and unstopped)" or "part of the crew" -- for example, James, how would you say that Two-Dimensional Creatures works with Distant Control? My judgement was that Empaths are unaffected, since they're not on the ship.
The Glossary says "aboard" is "used interchangeably with 'present'" where ships are involved (present - paragraph 6), and "your cards are present with each other... if they are part of the same crew or Away Team" (present - paragraph 1). So aboard = part of the crew. Otherwise, you could nullify Subspace Shock Wave with a stopped personnel (since he's not part of the crew, but is on the ship).

That's potentially bad news for Distant Control decks facing Two-Dimensional Creatures, although I believe you'll get a chance to cure it and continue the attempt (since Distant Control only checks for Empathy "at the end of any dilemma").

Of course, the RC has corrected me about how this card works before (with a very convincing argument, alas), so the usual "don't trust a designer talking about a card he worked on" disclaimer applies.
 -  
Community Contributor
Karr wrote:quick question:

whats happening to the crew if they hit a capturing related dilemma like
restricted area

can those people be captured if they are in the control room?
No. That one I'm sure of, because they can't be relocated to spaceline (per the card) and you can't be captured by a dilemma without being relocated to the spaceline.
 -  
Community Contributor
Depends on wording.

If it says, "To get past, opponent captures one personnel present," (for example) then you fail the condition, your personnel are stopped, the dilemma is reseeded, and gotta go attempt the mission in person and get somebody captured.

If it says, "Unless [conditions] present, opponent captures one personnel present. Discard dilemma," then you still fail the condition, so you're all stopped, but the dilemma is not reseeded (because of the discard clause) and there's no capture.

In the case of Restricted Area, there's no condition on it, so it completely whiffs for lack of a valid target. Ditto Underestimating the Founders, which I believe is fairly popular atm.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:Because this card is being monitored by the Errata Team, I have added it to the watchlist.

-crp
What’s the “rules change” mentioned on the page for this card?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:viewtopic.php?p=419730#p419730

yay for publishing rulings via random forum threads
That’s how I would have assumed it worked anyway, but if someone pointed out the article I’d have just said “oh well, 1E is weird, guess I was wrong”

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
bhosp wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:viewtopic.php?p=419730#p419730

yay for publishing rulings via random forum threads
That’s how I would have assumed it worked anyway, but if someone pointed out the article I’d have just said “oh well, 1E is weird, guess I was wrong”

Oh one more thing, if my Away Team at Drone Control Room becomes not all-native during the mission attempt (for example, a special download of a compatible non-native personnel), does the mission attempt immediately end?

I think the scenario was more around things li[…]

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Is there any interest from the greater area to com[…]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during a […]