This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
frakkingoff wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote: This is a good segue into my usual plug: 1E needs more testers. PM MidnightLich to sign up your group of two or more today.
To which you get the usual response: Is online playtesting allowed yet?
I thought it was? Or maybe that was a comment about future plans I originally read.

TK
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
frakkingoff wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote: This is a good segue into my usual plug: 1E needs more testers. PM MidnightLich to sign up your group of two or more today.
To which you get the usual response: Is online playtesting allowed yet?
Very soon, it will be.

-crp
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
bosskamiura wrote:I thought it was? Or maybe that was a comment about future plans I originally read.

TK
This would be a great thing to do within The Dojo's - Online League! Earn credits for your games at the same time!

TK

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
bosskamiura wrote:
bosskamiura wrote:I thought it was? Or maybe that was a comment about future plans I originally read.

TK
This would be a great thing to do within The Dojo's - Online League! Earn credits for your games at the same time!

TK
I was going to point out that proper playtesting often doesn't involve actually completing games, and requires setting up contrived circumstances to thoroughly test cards, so it wouldn't be very good for a league style format...

... but having said that, at this point any playtesting is good playtesting. So maybe this would be a good compromise to help encourage more playtesting. Let the league run "standard" playtest games (complete games to see how much impact the new cards have on them), and that will let the other playtesters focus more on the fringe cases, special situations, and incomplete games (where you just play until you've seen how a couple cards work, and then scrap the game and start over without worrying about exactly what the final score would've been).
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
I'll second the "more playtesting is always good" sentiment.

And to answer the obvious question: being "good" at the game isn't a requirement. More eyes asking if these cards are fun, if they make sense (both from flavor and "if these were the first cards I laid eyes on" perspectives...), even how they fit into your local meta - there are plenty of angles, and no one tester or group can catch them all.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
Maelwys wrote:
bosskamiura wrote:

TK

TK
I was going to point out that proper playtesting often doesn't involve actually completing games, and requires setting up contrived circumstances to thoroughly test cards, so it wouldn't be very good for a league style format...

... but having said that, at this point any playtesting is good playtesting. So maybe this would be a good compromise to help encourage more playtesting. Let the league run "standard" playtest games (complete games to see how much impact the new cards have on them), and that will let the other playtesters focus more on the fringe cases, special situations, and incomplete games (where you just play until you've seen how a couple cards work, and then scrap the game and start over without worrying about exactly what the final score would've been).
:thumbsup:

Any playtesting is good playtesting and any playing is good playing. It's a win, win!

It might act as some small reward for the playtesters hard work.

TK
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:And to answer the obvious question: being "good" at the game isn't a requirement.
And it's not a requirement of The League either. That's why I think it makes it a good fit.

TK

By RouterPlaner (Sam)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I can't be the only person in the Bay area willing to playtest. Hit me up everybody

I am also willing to test online

By Seanshank
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Jono wrote:Second card from this set to already be banned or receive errata.
#fail

1E has been great with there work the past 2-3 years I wouldn't even call these 2 errata's a fail nor a setback. :thumbsup:

As for 2E, to me it's become so boring & with so little to play with the past two years I haven't picked up a 2E card in months. #2Efail

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Seanshank wrote:
#fail

1E has been great with there work the past 2-3 years I wouldn't even call these 2 errata's a fail nor a setback. :thumbsup:

As for 2E, to me it's become so boring & with so little to play with the past two years I haven't picked up a 2E card in months. #2Efail
It's more the 2 fails in the same expansion, and this set was very much a power creep set

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Mogor wrote:
Seanshank wrote:
#fail

It's more the 2 fails in the same expansion, and this set was very much a power creep set
We'll see. I absolutely believe that Vulcans and MACOs, and Earth-based Starfleet are all really strong, but I'm not convinced they're invincible.

Take away the two banned cards that were clearly over the top. What about Vulcans now is broken? I can't point to anything specific. There's a lot of strong, but that needed to give the Vulcans a healthy dose of strong when they made them, because I'm not sure they'll be doing a lot more with them in the short to intermediate term (maybe movie era [Fed] Vulcans, but likely not a lot of [22] [Vul] stuff since it won't be on brand. To not do this would make them the same as the Vidiians.

Temporal Shenanigans are definitely good, but I think the Meta can adjust - you may see a drop off in [1E-AU] dilemmas due to the easy access to Timepod Ring, but it's not like there aren't other options.

I'm interested to see what Regional season brings. If it's all [22] all the time that's an issue, but IMO the right steps were taken so I expect to see a 'healthy, but not necessarily ubiquitous amount of [22] being played.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
This is great to hear.

I was worried that I'd have to tech against Vulcans all year.

Whereas with MACO, they are good but not unbeatable.

Day one of Worlds was the day of the MACO :) HOWEVER, on day two, I was beaten by my first two opponents. Simply because they anticipated MACO and rejiggled their Dilemmas a bit. They didn't need to tech their draw decks against me. I just had to face some rather unexpected combos :)

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Hoss-Drone wrote:Now, onto taking charge.... :)
You behave Jager ;)

I'll get to your Taking Charge thread later today.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Fleet Admiral
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
sexecutioner wrote:This is great to hear.

I was worried that I'd have to tech against Vulcans all year.

Whereas with MACO, they are good but not unbeatable.

Day one of Worlds was the day of the MACO :) HOWEVER, on day two, I was beaten by my first two opponents. Simply because they anticipated MACO and rejiggled their Dilemmas a bit. They didn't need to tech their draw decks against me. I just had to face some rather unexpected combos :)
And Duras on the Pagh, let's not forget that. :wink:
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
So I unwittingly used SHR in the DS9 Regional and stole rating points from Moskop.

I hadn't looked at the board in a couple of weeks, so I didn't know about the ban announcement until Mike brought it up in-game. I got home from work last night and netdecked a legal Ferengi deck (in retrospect, MVB's tournie winner). Had it printed overnight at a local FedEx and picked it up on the way to the regional this morning. I just assumed all was legit since the deckbuilder said so.

Mike certainly would have placed higher in the tournament if not for that.

Consider this my public apology. Sorry Mike.

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Yes, it was at Redeemer in Bartlesville. Unfortuna[…]