This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
karonofborg13 wrote:In OTF, of course?
I always assumed the ban originally happened because it was part of the Holy Hexany, and I always assumed it stayed there because it is really good to draw three cards at interrupt speed. (Even if they're necessarily non-personnel cards.)
Also, why hasn't What Does God Need With a Starship? received errata in order to come off the banned list, as it's a perfectly reasonable counter to the God dilemma?
The card was banned, not for game-balance reasons, but because Design found it annoying to account for it every time they wanted to design a ship, or a ship-downloading mechanic. "Does this stack dangerously with WDGNWAS?" Even though the answer always ended up being, "No, it's fine," at least on released cards, I think they got sick of having to ask it -- and they did have to ask it, because WDGNWAS always seemed like it was right on the edge of being completely broken without ever actually winning any games. I get the thinking behind the decision, but I never think it's good to banhammer cards that aren't breaking the game.

Now, I have no inside knowledge here, but I am hoping that the Errata team is just waiting for the right time to send What Does God? back to playtesters unchanged, then show the positive feedback to Design and convince Design that it's okay to unban the card without changes. (Of course, that depends on playtesters giving positive feedback!)

But more likely they're just waiting for the right idea. Errata takes the attitude that you shouldn't errata a card unless you can fix its power level and preserve its flavor. That's tough, takes time, and I think they're 100% right to do it.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
karonofborg13 wrote:Tell me again...why is Smooth as an Android's Bottom banned? In OTF, of course?
Personal opinion, because card drawing at interrupt speed is way over the power curve in a game that now normally lasts 6-10 turns on average.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
LORE wrote:
karonofborg13 wrote:Tell me again...why is Smooth as an Android's Bottom banned? In OTF, of course?
Personal opinion, because card drawing at interrupt speed is way over the power curve in a game that now normally lasts 6-10 turns on average.
Now, people didn't really look at the upside of Hexany. During a busy tournament, playing a Hexany player meant you had 15-30 minutes to go use the washroom, get a snack, maybe go out for a beer... not like they needed you around to do anything. :D
 -  
Community Contributor
DarkSabre wrote:Currently that card + MACO would make the MACO Starfleet deck horrifically better. I was actually looking at this combo the other day.....
How? I'm trying to figure SAAAB out right now, and... can't. To guarantee that I have enough non-personnel on bottom of my deck to be worth the draw, I have to have so many non-personnel in the deck that I can't get out enough personnel to solve missions.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote:
DarkSabre wrote:Currently that card + MACO would make the MACO Starfleet deck horrifically better. I was actually looking at this combo the other day.....
How? I'm trying to figure SAAAB right now out right now, and... can't. To guarantee that I have enough non-personnel on bottom of my deck to be worth the draw, I have to have so many non-personnel in the deck that I can't get out enough personnel to solve missions.
My guess is after a few failed macos?

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Yup.

A few failed MACO. It sucks to put Non-Macos under your deck, esp if they are interrupts, events, etc - but you can get them back using Smooth.
 -  
Community Contributor
Hm. Maybe I could build a good Open deck to abuse that. I'm skeptical it'd be all that worth it, because it'd mean putting a bunch of Events and Interrupts in a MACO deck that feels like it doesn't need them (what MACOs always need, it seems to me, is supplementary personnel to fill out their skill matrix). But I could give it a try!

Thanks.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:Hm. Maybe I could build a good Open deck to abuse that. I'm skeptical it'd be all that worth it, because it'd mean putting a bunch of Events and Interrupts in a MACO deck that feels like it doesn't need them (what MACOs always need, it seems to me, is supplementary personnel to fill out their skill matrix). But I could give it a try!

Thanks.
Or use a Dominion outpost, fill up with equipment cards, play them for free on a Dominion facility and grab the equipment.

Free MACOs and Free Equipment cards...whats not to like?
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]