This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By TyKajada (Alexander Schmitz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  

Had this happening in a game against myself:

Player A's turn:

attempting space mission with Shuttlepod One and four personnel.

1st dilemma encountered is Undetected Beam In. Player B downloads four drones onto ship.
2nd dilemma is Contingency Plan. Player B downloads A Change of Plans , downloads Assimilate Starship and targets Shuttlepod One.
3rd dilemma is Cytherians. Player B flips Mission Debriefing, stopped.

Player B's turn:

Can Player B beam an additional Borg drone onto the Shuttlepod during this turn? I don't think so since the four on board are still active..
At the end of this turn scouting is complete.

Player A's turn:

Shuttlepod's range is only 2 so she can't move towards far end of space line. I guess the ship is stuck forever (unless range is increased)? Personnel aboard may not attack the drones.

Players B's turn:

At the end of player B's turn they can probe (Computer Skill drone is aboard). Probe is successful, ship assimilated, 35 points.

On subsequent turns can player B beam the original four drones back to another ship, or do they have to obey the Cytherians like the Starfleet personnel aboard and do nothing but 'travel to spaceline end'?
If yes I guess anyone on the Shuttlepod would be stuck until this has been accomplished.

Also if the Shuttlepod is destroyed, are the 35 points lost?

Thanks
:cheersL:
Last edited by TyKajada on Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Yes the crew is stuck.

No the points aren't lost. Just like a solved Mission getting eaten by a black hole doesn't destroy the points earned from solving it, destroying the ship doesn't remove the points earned from completing the objective targeting it.
I'm like 80% sure on these, so I could be wrong.

EDIT: And I'm wrong. Contingency plan plays on the ship and says Assimilate Starship is WORTH 35 POINTS.

This is why one should always check the Glossary:
worth points – A card that is “worth points”
while some condition is met does not score
those points each turn; it scores positive
points when the condition is first met and
scores negative points equal to the earlier
point gain if the condition ceases to be met.
For example, you score 20 points once with
Dr. Tolian Soran, when he is placed under
The Nexus. If he leaves The Nexus, you
score -20 points because he is no longer
worth points. On the other hand, if your
opponent plays Khan! when Dr. Tolian Soran
first enters The Nexus, nullifying those
bonus points, you score 0 points when he
enters, and a corresponding -0 points if he
leaves.
Because Assimilate Starship ALSO plays on the ship once complete, both the objective AND the thing assigning value go to the discard pile, and the worth points entry above is very relevant.

Sorry for any confusion.

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
Armus answered a few questions there, I'll tackle some more:
Can Player B beam an additional Borg drone onto the Shuttlepod during this turn? I don't think so since the four on board are still active..
Yes. Borg Away Team rules say that you need authorization to form an Away Team. But this isn't forming one, you already have one. So it's allowed. Yes, there's a rule that says if you have *no* active Borg aboard a ship you've targeted for scouting, then you can beam one to it; that's your authorization to form an Away Team in that case. That rule doesn't actually say anything about the situation where you do have active Borg aboard.
On subsequent turns can player B beam the original four drones back to another ship, or do they have to obey the Cytherians like the Starfleet personnel aboard and do nothing but 'travel to spaceline end'?
They are now the crew of the assimilated ship, and Cytherians still applies to the ship. They are under its compunction, and may not leave. It might have been better to beam most of them away (leaving one with CS) before you successfully assimilated it.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
commdecker wrote:....It might have been better to beam most of them away (leaving one with CS) before you successfully assimilated it.
Good idea, thanks.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
On the rules, the above answers are right.

On the strategy, fear of getting stuck forever (or getting the ship blown up and losing the points) is precisely why I hesitate to put Cytherians beneath a Contingency Plan. An Emergent Life-Form might be a better bet, since at least it times out. Or just a nice wall.

Although the fact that the crew can't battle is pretty awesome, so I see why you did it.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  

I have to come back to this after reading the glossary entry on ship assimilation
..Any carried ships aboard are assimilated (but
personnel and equipment aboard are not).
Any cards played on or placed on the ship
prior to assimilation (such as a Kurlan
Naiskos) come under your control....

the phrase "but personnel and equip aboard are not" refers to the original ship or the carried ship?
In other words are personnel aboard on an assimilated ship automatically assimilated as well or not?

Thanks

- Delta Quadrant
 -  

However as I continue reading the glossary I found under carried ships
....Personnel aboard a carried ship are also part
of the crew of the carrying ship, or are
intruders if the carrying ship is controlled by
a different player...

Does this mean there is only one 'combined' crew on a ship that carries other ships? So personnel can't hide on the carried ship?

Subsequently the phrase in question under assimilate ship should then refer to the combined crew, hence personnel aboard is not assimilated when a ship is assimilated.

Is that the correct interpretation ?

Thanks

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The assimilation entry is more specific and therefore overrides the more general rule.

So for space dilemmas all are affected, but for assimilation some personnel can "hide out" on the carried ship to avoid assimilation.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]