This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
A few things came up recently to me (both while playing and going through cards) and have a few questions that I thought I'd throw up on here

Vulcan Database When can the new skill be selected during your turn?

Strange New Worlds - If you play Subjugate Planet after opponent plays Strange New Worlds does Subjugate Planet change it to a different mission attempt condition? Also it says MUST meet the requirements so does that mean you cannot mission attempt without those requirements there?

For These are the Voyages what happens with dual affiliation cards?

Is there any common rules or table rules that maybe a new (returning) player wouldn't know? I'll give an example: I didn't know that you were allowed to count the dilemmas that your opponent seeded under your missions or that you are allowed to handle them. Granted my last tournament was in 2012 before the ones this past year so I'm sure a load of minor table things have changed and I'm trying to learn/read it all up before the end of the month for Nationals in Atlanta.

Thanks in advance fellow players

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
frakkingoff wrote:TATV would change a dual Starfleet-Other affiliation into a dual Federation-Other affiliation.
Thats what I thought. I just wanted to make sure I understood that the card is considered a dual affiliation card and that the card targets the card and not just its affiliation. Meaning that if you flipped Phlox to Klingon the you still have the [1E-TNG] icon and not have the [1E-AU] & [22] icons.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
DarkSabre wrote:A few things came up recently to me (both while playing and going through cards) and have a few questions that I thought I'd throw up on here

Vulcan Database When can the new skill be selected during your turn?

Strange New Worlds - If you play Subjugate Planet after opponent plays Strange New Worlds does Subjugate Planet change it to a different mission attempt condition? Also it says MUST meet the requirements so does that mean you cannot mission attempt without those requirements there?

Is there any common rules or table rules that maybe a new (returning) player wouldn't know? I'll give an example: I didn't know that you were allowed to count the dilemmas that your opponent seeded under your missions or that you are allowed to handle them. Granted my last tournament was in 2012 before the ones this past year so I'm sure a load of minor table things have changed and I'm trying to learn/read it all up before the end of the month for Nationals in Atlanta.

Thanks in advance fellow players
Context: The first two were from our Game at the Regional on Sunday. Here is how I ruled, and BenHosp confirmed both of my rulings:

Vulcan Database Selects a skill when reported (including during the mission attempt if [DL] by [Vul] T'Pol). Changing the skill is a regular order phase action.

Strange New Worlds overrides Subjugate Planet because of each card's game text:
Subjugate Planet wrote:You may attempt mission using these requirements: Vorta + Treachery + 4 Jem'Hadar + STRENGTH>(point value of mission x2).
Strange New Worlds wrote:Opponent's mission attempts here must use the following requirements: Anthropology + Diplomacy + Law + INTEGRITY>32
Emphases mine. Must overrides may because mandatory game text overrides optional game text.

If I erred on either of these I apologize, but it's all good since Austin won the game anyway. :P

As for the last question, I would agree with the above response. The cards impacted by These Are the Voyages lose exactly what the card says they lose and gain what the card says they gain; nothing else on the card is affected in any way.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
Context: The first two were from our Game at the Regional on Sunday. Here is how I ruled, and BenHosp confirmed both of my rulings:

Vulcan Database Selects a skill when reported (including during the mission attempt if [DL] by [Vul] T'Pol). Changing the skill is a regular order phase action.

Strange New Worlds overrides Subjugate Planet because of each card's game text:
Subjugate Planet wrote:You may attempt mission using these requirements: Vorta + Treachery + 4 Jem'Hadar + STRENGTH>(point value of mission x2).
Strange New Worlds wrote:Opponent's mission attempts here must use the following requirements: Anthropology + Diplomacy + Law + INTEGRITY>32
Emphases mine. Must overrides may because mandatory game text overrides optional game text.

If I erred on either of these I apologize, but it's all good since Austin won the game anyway. :P

As for the last question, I would agree with the above response. The cards impacted by These Are the Voyages lose exactly what the card says they lose and gain what the card says they gain; nothing else on the card is affected in any way.
Nothing against the rulings at the tournament, this isn't a 2nd guessing post.

I just wanted to make sure of it because basically that card can lock out that mission for some decks. Because the way it was worded I had to attempt with the skills stated on that card or else I couldn't attempt it at all. Looking for clarification to make sure I understand that. Because if that is the card the ability to play Strange New Worlds & You're Not Ready can lock out a large potion of the space line. Throw Dead End under another and that's 4 missions made a lot harder to solve. (Also if its here on the boards I won't have this come up in Atlanta I hope).

I agree about TATV but since I'm a devious person by default I figured I'd rather ask to make sure 8) . I could think of a few ways to use it if it wasn't like that.

So the person can't change the skill during a mission attempt unless it was downloaded at that time (for Vulcan Database)?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Mainly agreeing with other rulings here.
DarkSabre wrote: Vulcan Database When can the new skill be selected during your turn?
When played, and thereafter as a normal action. It cannot be selected during a mission attempt unless somehow played during a mission attempt, which to my knowledge can only be accomplished via special download. (A confusing timing issue that makes my heart pang once again for the possibility of changing [DL] from suspends-play to valid-response. Alas.)
Strange New Worlds - If you play Subjugate Planet after opponent plays Strange New Worlds does Subjugate Planet change it to a different mission attempt condition?
No. "Must" overrides "may." You must attempt under SNW's requirements.

Moreover, when you solve (using the requirements from Strange New Worlds), I believe that you will not be able to download the Remote Supply Depot offered by Subjugate Planet, because the Glossary says, "In order to gain any additional benefits from such an objective (such as Establish Trade Route’s download of a Ferengi Trading Post and equipment upon completing the mission), you must complete the targeted mission usingthe objective’s alternate requirements," and Strange New Worlds makes it impossible to attempt using the objective's alternate requirements.

I rather doubt that was intended, but it is something I noticed just now while answering.
Like everyone's saying, you lose the [SF] affiliation but not the other affiliation. It says "add" not "become." (If it said "become" it would be quite different; see Comfort Women.)
Is there any common rules or table rules that maybe a new (returning) player wouldn't know?
At least locally, I've seen an uptick in players putting cards like Ocular Implants and Study Divergent History in their core (instead of keeping them on the relevant facility/personnel) and just announcing very clearly what card they're targeting.

Other than that... the example you cite about dilemmas is from the Organized Play Guide, which hasn't changed significantly in years. If you last played in 2012, you haven't missed anything.

I get the MW 80-70....good game.

Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]