This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hi all!

The next 1E expansion, Metamorphosis, will be in your hands on May 4th, 2018! Let's kick off the excitement by starting up a Q&A. As usual, please use this thread to ask your questions about Metamorphosis. Here are the members of the design team:

Allen Gould [AllenGould]
Jon Carter [pfti]
Jason Drake [wambundu]
Charlie Plaine [MidnightLich]

The team will be answering your questions as they can. Thanks!

-crp

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
So what made you decide to finally make "Genetically Enhanced" an actual 1E trait? Will augments count as such?

Space, mainly.

And... counselors too is now a trait?

Hmmmm. Also, already 2 broken links closed. Thank you for that. :D

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
How many did I get right in my "Discommend THIS!" thread?

Assuming I counted correctly, two dozen. -crp

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Off to a great start from what I can see! :thumbsup:

HOw many poor cards got cut?

All of them, hopefully.

Will we get a "before and after" type article? The opening article is very nice, but only shows the final/after images of the cards...

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
So, regarding Foster:

The "Only son of a Starfleet Intelligence agent." sounds easter eggy. Is it a reference to the fact that the same actor as a child was in the TOS episode "And The Children Shall Lead" and may very well be the same character?

And would said SI agent be his... Foster parent? ;)
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
Iron Prime wrote:Off to a great start from what I can see! :thumbsup:

All of them, hopefully.

Hopefully in the utopian trek future, there are no poor cards. Sorry excited to officially use a non-blue color

Will we get a "before and after" type article? The opening article is very nice, but only shows the final/after images of the cards...
Chief Programmer
By eberlems
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Explorer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E  National Second Runner-Up 2023
How many 2E cards get a new 1E template in this set?
How many of those change the card type?
How many of those change their name?

What card was your favorite that didn't make the cut?
I've been arguing for a while that the game needs alternate HQs (not stackable, but an actual choice between two). Starfleet Academy was very instructional as to the challenges involved, but I expect it (or another HQ) will appear one day.

Intuition seems to be based on Telepathic Alien Kidnappers, but has several changes. Was it intened that way or did Intuition just turn out like this?

They're similar, but the different "rewards" give them different decks that want to use them.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
eberlems wrote:How many 2E cards get a new 1E template in this set?
How many of those change the card type?
How many of those change their name?

What card was your favorite that didn't make the cut?

Intuition seems to be based on Telepathic Alien Kidnappers, but has several changes. Was it intened that way or did Intuition just turn out like this?
Speaking of which, why does the Facebook promo (ahem) download TAK and not Intuition? I know TAK is closer to what his 2E version does, but TAK makes no storyline sense, plus it's been said Intuition was waiting in the file until this card came out... so...?

Someone else downloads Intuition. And sometimes function needs to trump flavor.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Iron Prime wrote:Off to a great start from what I can see! :thumbsup:

All of them, hopefully.
Thanks, but I was not referring to the quality of the cards. More of "oh... poor little card got cut". So poor as in pitiable....

I never worry overmuch about cut cards - they go into the file, and if the idea was good it'll find a home sooner or later.

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
So, why was the Organia mission's image changed to drop the Starship Enterprise?

In general, missions in 1E are framed from the 24th century point of view. We used the requirements to convey the "old time" feel. The specific request to remove the Enterprise was from the Creative Team. -crp

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jrch5618 wrote:So, why was the Organia mission's image changed to drop the Starship Enterprise?
Based on the lore, presumably because there aren't any Constitution-class ships in service in the 24th century... :wink:

Yup. Also, to the corner with you! -crp

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Since the new Pulaski [DL] s Genetronic Replicator, are we to assume that card will be erratad before the new set releases?

An earlier draft of the set had a larger focus on errata, but that didn't work out in the end.

I wouldn't necessarily connect A to B. We do support other formats that don't have a ban list, even though they aren't as popular. Even if Genetronic Replicator remains banned in the short term, we hope this card will still have value. And when the card is unbanned, her value goes up in OTF. -crp

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
As pointed out recently on the 1e Card Database thread there is some confusion on cards marked one way (Genetically Enhanced) or the other (Genetically Engineered) receiving the same tags. Is this a hint at a "equivilance" ruling or just a misplaced tag? (because Persis was a conversion of Persis who has the tag)

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Why so many new cards (non-conversions)?

The earliest version of Metamorphosis were almost all conversions, if not all. Part way through, I came to the realization (and made the argument) that this expansion shouldn't just be a laundry list of cards that checked off boxes. If we were going to go to the trouble of converting some big swaths of cards - cadets, for example - we should support those like we would in any other expansion. The playtesters very much helped with this argument, as they commonly complained the cards weren't standing on their own. It took some convincing, but eventually the team agreed that we needed to support the cards we were converting, even if that meant making some new cards. Hopefully, it will all make sense when the whole expansion is revealed. -crp

4 of 12 cards revealed so far (33%).

The final percentage is lower - I imagine it's just a quirk of announcement schedules and the tendency for folks to prefer novelty. Intuition and Stupid question are offloads of special abilities while Foster is there to round out his team. The other non-conversions are in the same vein - cards to support conversions. The good Admiral is easily the furthest "outlier" in the set.

I'd of been okay with lots of broken links until a future set if it means 2EBC cards that were going to be converted, and then didn't, and now get left out period for ever being converted.

Here's the thing: all that we're really stopping is the rules support, the "rules" for conversions in design, and the little grey bar in the bottom left. Designers are free to, and will, continue to make 1E cards inspired by 2E cards; especially so if we know there's a demand. We aren't going to suddenly forget that these cards exist. In fact, I saw that a future design team recently drafted a card based on a 2E card specifically that was discussed here on the forums. -crp

P.S. We better get a Defiant Captain Jadzia & Blood Oath Jadzia!

There already is a Blood Oath Dax.

I don't think Metamorphosis is the expansion for Dax fans... but I don't think 2018 in general will disappoint you. -crp

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
What card makes you think 'oooooooh, Niall will love that'?

You strike me as someone who would enjoy life's simple pleasures.

Interaction fans such as yourself will enjoy the card and article on Wednesday, the 18th. -crp
NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Awww, shucks! Glad you’re in a bigger area.[…]

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]