This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 158 posts

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
bhosp wrote:Am I misunderstanding Subspace Warp Rift? Does it mean you have to stop at the mission for the whole turn or get damaged? I thought you just had to not “fly by”, but then you could leave. (Have I been misunderstanding how Hail works too all this time?)
Hail prevents you from moving for the rest of the turn. (See its Glossary entry.) So maybe? Subspace Warp Rift's Glossary entry implies the same, but not all that clearly. I'm not sure what the point would be, though, if you could just stop for a sec then fly right on, except for some weird edge cases involving The Nexus and such.

Either way, it is a case of bad PAQ-era wording.
I was about to be an asshole and ask you, “Shouldn’t you have figured out the answer before you made a card that mentions SSWR?” But then I actually looked it up and apparently I misremembered and you didn’t actually work on design for LLAP.

But someone who actually knows should still probably answer that question, since people are using the card now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Hoss-Drone wrote:Too strong or just right?

Discuss.

Imho:

Too strong. Needs limitation. Unique or limit 2, etc. Possible cultural enforcement.
1. Idic:pothc had the foresight to make gaps, etc unique. It should have done that to all scheme cards which then begs the question on the minefield.
2. Way too user friendly with certain dilemmas. :shifty:
3. The game doesn't need something like this slowing it down even more.
4. Not culturally enforced. :shifty:

It's not a coincidence that it's won 2 regionals in a row. :shifty:

As has been said before, but I want to add my support to - it is FAR too early to discuss the need for limitation. Winning two events is insufficient; should it be watched? Certainly. Should it be limited? Definitely not yet, a larger sample size should definitely be required prior to any sort of action is taken.

And I further strongly disagree with the premise that the game 'doesn't need something like this slowing it down even more'

I think Charlie's post above was right on the money, so I just wanted to support that.

By Worf Son of Mogh (Kenneth Tufts)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
2E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
Just going to after playing it add my voice to the something in this combo set up should be looked at, I'm not sure which are the biggest problems yet, but as a whole package it reaches sillyness levels very very fast. The free play is definetly a problem when on turn one I can drop 3 or 4 on a random space line drawing 6-8 cards....
Over all I will agree you can meta adapt a bit to it Jagger Did, but both our games were very close still. But even with adaption to it it still felt very dirty the things I could do with it.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Minefield = bad

Temporal Benefactor = bad

But at least the wording on benefactor is so clunky, it is pretty much 1E :) . Why all the love for Starfleet... Benefactor should be generic for all [1E-AU] not just SF. I am redundant. DS9 is backbone and you overwhelm shitty Enterprise with such love. I will never play Enterprise-stuff. Better to loose with dignity rather than playing that nonsense. Only that -5 Nanoprobe lady will make my deck.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Caretaker's Guest wrote:Minefield = bad

Temporal benefactor = bad

But at least the wording on benefactor is so clunky, it is pretty much 1E :) . Why all the love for Starfleet... Benefactor should be generic for all [1E-AU] not just SF. I am redundant. DS9 is backbone and you overwhelm shitty Enterprise with such love. I will never play Enterprise-stuff. Better to loose with dignity rather than playing that nonsense. Only that -5 Nanoprobe lady will make my deck.
I was going to say "it is universal," but then I realized you meant the download, not the skill sharing.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
You are right.In theory it is universal. Just add Drone Control Room (and its ridiculous Carmouflage) and generic SF-Romulan or Mendak, done. It is an auto-include. Given the fact that you can download dilemma busters like Timepod Ring or Disrupted Continuum... That leads to another auto-include. One Space- and one Planet-Dilemma in tent. I hate being forced to include SF-silliness... DS9 was too weak, sad but true. But you are overreacting in making that SF-nonsense so powerful. Here some SDs there some easy stuff over here... Can't wait for TOS... :)

Please do not feel offended. Design does a wonderful job, to quote Trump-Dumb. But you are over the edge, granting so much love to silly SF. Benefactor will receive an erratum some day, mark my words.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Im okay that the cards came out a little edgy on the power side. They are looking/fixing things, so itll balance out in the end. I do agree though, DS9 needs some more love. Hopefully they will continue feedback in the Deck Design forum discussion there and do more for them.

~D

By adf8
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Think we'll see Revolving Door getting some use any time soon?

Also, hopefully some new dilemmas targeting [1E-AU] personnel and ships soon

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
HoodieDM wrote:Im okay that the cards came out a little edgy on the power side. They are looking/fixing things, so itll balance out in the end. I do agree though, DS9 needs some more love. Hopefully they will continue feedback in the Deck Design forum discussion there and do more for them.

~D
I find it more of an issue that many go the 'power cards' made for TNG were then errata'd, DS9 was not given anything near what TNG got, and then we have the Starfleet Era given a huge amount of power cards with very limited roll outside of Starfleet.

I would love to use Chef in TNG but I can't find a way to make it competitive - the main issue with them is that they lose the AU icon and its so hard to use them outside of space missions easily to keep up with speedier decks. Temporal Benefactor is useful but it is a magnitude of 100x better in a Starfleet deck. I want to have fun but I also want to try to win at tournaments. The whole schenanigans with Vulcans & Romulans (minefields, changing the mission skill needs, etc) is a huge hit to the gut when playing if you aren't expecting. And even if you are expecting it you aren't going to be playing a deck you want rather a deck that directly counters the crazy [22] cards. I think Borg are the only ones if played extremely well could ignore. Of course Kevin was able to do so with his Borg deck (which I can't wait to see the deck list of) but what of the other affiliations?

I don't have any solutions but I feel like I need to have my own version of a gattling gun in the deck I'll playing this Sunday that can shred through a MACO or Romulan/Vulcan deck. It reminds me too much of when playing against Voyager back in the Decipher era, having to build entire counters in a deck to go against the Deltas.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
DarkSabre wrote: I find it more of an issue that many go the 'power cards' made for TNG were then errata'd, DS9 was not given anything near what TNG got, and then we have the Starfleet Era given a huge amount of power cards with very limited roll outside of Starfleet.
It took them almost 2 years to errata CM/AAH/Gozar. So dont expect it so quickly. I dont think itll take that long, but definitely longer than 3-6 months. I expect late this year for it to get banned at least but hopefully just erratad.

~D

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
HoodieDM wrote:
DarkSabre wrote: I find it more of an issue that many go the 'power cards' made for TNG were then errata'd, DS9 was not given anything near what TNG got, and then we have the Starfleet Era given a huge amount of power cards with very limited roll outside of Starfleet.
It took them almost 2 years to errata CM/AAH/Gozar. So dont expect it so quickly. I dont think itll take that long, but definitely longer than 3-6 months. I expect late this year for it to get banned at least but hopefully just erratad.

~D
Either remove the [22] and work on creating new lore quoting AU cards OR get rid of the TimePod Ring and other cards that can be downloaded. I think this would fix that issue but the first option turns the card into a Q-Tent issue where EVERYONE has to have it seeded.

But putting aside the 22nd Century card craziness...the issue isn't, in my opinion, the fact that the Starfleet Era has been given extremely powerful cards - the problem is that the other affiliations & eras haven't been given comparable cards and have had cards that are close to it errata'd. I don't want to see another post Voyager era that happened at Decipher where they just scaled up the power cards way too high but I also want to be able to feel like I can do a deck without Starfleet Era cards or having to make specific counters against them.

I mean right now I am using NO AU dilemmas in my deck due to Temporal Benefactor. How is that a good idea? To avoid my dilemmas from being neutered I have to ignore a whole selection of dilemmas so Timepod Ring. Or I'll have to sacrifice 5 points and include Kevins in my deck.

It's a vicious cycle. I'll see how Sunday goes though.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Either remove the [22] and work on creating new lore quoting AU cards OR get rid of the TimePod Ring and other cards that can be downloaded. I think this would fix that issue but the first option turns the card into a Q-Tent issue where EVERYONE has to have it seeded.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

By adf8
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
More dilemmas that nullify skill sharing, more dilemmas that hurt AU personnel... Anything else isn't fixing the underlying issue... Decipher only created a few AU focused sets and they were never really top tier (sprinkling in McCoy for dilemma cheating doesn't count)... 22nd century has gotten a lot of love recently and is here to stay, now let's get some counters to that so there's a cost... Issues with time travel and time locations are now fixed... [BB] mechanism that works for mission attempts and scouting but to temper skill sharing would be great :twocents:

By adf8
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Dramatis Personae like dilemma but targeting folks that have the same personnel named in lore...

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
A Kevin Uxbridge like card that mass destroys all events of the same card title.

A reward for keeping things in the 24th Century
(E.g., while you don't command any [1E-AU] cards, draw a card every time an [1E-AU] personnel enters play or any crew or away team time travels) - a souped up Temporal Investigations

I liked Kevin's idea of a dilemma that says X happens, if any [1E-AU] personnel present, double X. Could also go with X happens, if any [1E-AU] personnel present, Y happens too.

There's options, and now that the spotlight is moving away from [22] , there's opportunities to address any imbalances.

updated with VPs and Errata

Decklist updated to include dilemmas. Crippling St[…]

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't com[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon a[…]