This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Ambassador
By Comicbookhero (Michael Moskop)
 - Ambassador
 -  
There are a lot of great questions being thrown around lately so I have one.

If I complete a mission using the requirements on the mission but I have an objective on it, do I get to do the "When you solve" text?

For instance, if I complete Khitomer Research using the requirements on the mission itself, can I still download two [CF] personnel from a seeded Facilitate Peace Talks? What about completing a space mission with Establish Trade Route on it as another example (since the wording of those objectives is a little different)?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Nope!
Alternate mission requirements –A mission attempt using alternate requirements providedby an objective is exactly like any other mission attempt. You do not need to have the requirements in the Away Team (i.e., you can redshirt), and you score the point value of the underlying mission when you complete it. The mission cannot then be completed with its normal requirements. In order to gain any additional benefits from such an objective (such as Establish Trade Route’s download of a Ferengi Trading Post and equipment upon completing the mission),you must complete the targeted mission using the objective’s alternate requirements. If an objective allows a different affiliation to attempt a mission than the icons on the Mission card, only that affiliation may use the requirements provided by the objective.
Ambassador
By Comicbookhero (Michael Moskop)
 - Ambassador
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:Nope!
Ah ha! Well done. I kept looking under "objective." :thumbsup:

It does suck for a deck idea I had though.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Alternate mission requirements –A mission attempt using alternate requirements providedby an objective is exactly like any other mission attempt. You do not need to have the requirements in the Away Team (i.e., you can redshirt), and you score the point value of the underlying mission when you complete it. The mission cannot then be completed with its normal requirements. In order to gain any additional benefits from such an objective (such as Establish Trade Route’s download of a Ferengi Trading Post and equipment upon completing the mission),you must complete the targeted mission using the objective’s alternate requirements. If an objective allows a different affiliation to attempt a mission than the icons on the Mission card, only that affiliation may use the requirements provided by the objective.
Does that work the other way? Example: I complete Subjugate Planet (using the objective's requirements) at Aid Clone Colony. Can I "download a copy of a personnel in play" using the mission's text?

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Takket wrote:
Does that work the other way? Example: I complete Subjugate Planet (using the objective's requirements) at Aid Clone Colony. Can I "download a copy of a personnel in play" using the mission's text?
I believe the answer is YES because the text on the mission says “when you solve” which you have done either by using the objective requirements or the normal mission requirements.

Where it wouldn’t work is with Borg since they don’t solve missions but complete objectives so the “when you solve” game text would not come into play.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Jono wrote: I believe the answer is YES because the text on the mission says “when you solve” which you have done either by using the objective requirements or the normal mission requirements.
Facilitate Peace Talks wrote:Seeds or plays on Khitomer; download Treaty: Federation/Klingon. Your [Films] personnel may attempt mission with the following requirements:
Diplomacy x2 + Leadership x2 + INTEGRITY>40
When you solve, you may download up to two [Films] personnel of different affiliations here.
The "When you solve" follows the alternative mission requirements. You have to solve the mission via "Diplomacy x2 + Leadership x2 + INTEGRITY > 40" to get the download. If you solve via "Honor x3 + Computer Skill + Treachery" you solve the mission, but not via the objectives terms.

~D

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
HoodieDM wrote:
Jono wrote: I believe the answer is YES because the text on the mission says “when you solve” which you have done either by using the objective requirements or the normal mission requirements.
Facilitate Peace Talks wrote:Seeds or plays on Khitomer; download Treaty: Federation/Klingon. Your [Films] personnel may attempt mission with the following requirements:
Diplomacy x2 + Leadership x2 + INTEGRITY>40
When you solve, you may download up to two [Films] personnel of different affiliations here.
The "When you solve" follows the alternative mission requirements. You have to solve the mission via "Diplomacy x2 + Leadership x2 + INTEGRITY > 40" to get the download. If you solve via "Honor x3 + Computer Skill + Treachery" you solve the mission, but not via the objectives terms.

~D
I think that's the opposite of the question asked.

Dumb example: using Subjugate Planet to solve Mine Dilithium. If you solve with the SP requirements you get the downloads and STILL get the range bonus to your ships, whereas if you solve with Geo + Transporter Skill you only get the range bonus.

In short, mission solving rewards aren't tied to specific requirements but solving rewards from other cards are only tied to alternative requirements.

Gotta Love 1e! :D

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: I think that's the opposite of the question asked.
The original question asked is if Mike solves Khitomer Research with Honor x3 + Computer Skill + Treachery, does he still get the download of 2 [CF] personnel from Facilitate Peace Talks. The answer should be no, as in order to get the benefit of the 2 downloaded personnel, you have to solve the Objective via the Objective's requirements.

Your scenario with Mine Dilithium is different. That says "Solving player"...not "When solving"...that's the key. The word "When" and the fact it's on the mission itself as the reward, not the Objective. In order to get Objective benefits, you have to complete its requirements.

~D

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
It's like Protect Historic Encounter that works the same way.

You can't play on Earth. Then solve Earth via another way and still make it worth 30 points and get the download. You either fulfill the objective requirements to get the download and make Earth worth 30 points, OR you solve it via whatever means and Earth is worth 40 points and no download.

~D

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
HoodieDM wrote:
Armus wrote: I think that's the opposite of the question asked.
The original question asked is if Mike solves Khitomer Research with Honor x3 + Computer Skill + Treachery, does he still get the download of 2 [CF] personnel from Facilitate Peace Talks. The answer should be no, as in order to get the benefit of the 2 downloaded personnel, you have to solve the Objective via the Objective's requirements.

Your scenario with Mine Dilithium is different. That says "Solving player"...not "When solving"...that's the key. The word "When" and the fact it's on the mission itself as the reward, not the Objective. In order to get Objective benefits, you have to complete its requirements.

~D
Which is what I answered.

I said you can get the mission bonus text EVEN if you solve a mission using the alternate requirements on an objective.

The specific question was solving Aid Clone Colony using an objective and if you can still use “When you solve, may download a copy of a personnel in play.”

I said yes because you still solved the mission (regardless if you did it with an objective or the normal mission requirements.)
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation