This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
look... 30 secounds after seeing this Cards, it´s obious to me ist overpowered.

I was in playtesting years ago. We where overflowted with overpowered Cards where we didn´t know to begin with that to prove overpowered. Luckily we killed some OP Cards the public has never seen. But the amount of rediciously OP Cards throught at us was just to much to me...

so i changed to design. I prevented some OP Cards, witch others the majority - for some reason - simply didn´t want to see it, so Continuing Mission and mahliv entered the world, both errated later.

So, i and others voted for a new department, called prove reading. I didn´t just mean checking the wording for Errors. But use a common sense approch to read and change Cards before crazy Designers gave them to playtesting.

Now we have Life´s simple Pleasures... which can download just ANY female, once per turn. You now have ANY skill you ever want to + all the [DL] of all femals which is about 1/3 of all non-borg personnel.

People Point out to me, that my critique in the past was... unfriendly...

Look friendly, unfriendly, hatefull, lovley... whatever, do you guys seriously not see the Problem with this Card right away? and if not, ever considered makeing place for People who do?

No I don´t want that Job, i am just frustrated that despite there is no more financial nessecarity there are still game breaking Cards fired at us that kill the fun, every 2nd Expansion or so.

Take the critique or not, i just wanted to express myselve.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
LuthySloan wrote:look... 30 secounds after seeing this Cards, it´s obious to me ist overpowered.

I was in playtesting years ago. We where overflowted with overpowered Cards where we didn´t know to begin with that to prove overpowered. Luckily we killed some OP Cards the public has never seen. But the amount of rediciously OP Cards throught at us was just to much to me...

so i changed to design. I prevented some OP Cards, witch others the majority - for some reason - simply didn´t want to see it, so Continuing Mission and mahliv entered the world, both errated later.

So, i and others voted for a new department, called prove reading. I didn´t just mean checking the wording for Errors. But use a common sense approch to read and change Cards before crazy Designers gave them to playtesting.

Now we have Life´s simple Pleasures... which can download just ANY female, once per turn. You now have ANY skill you ever want to + all the [DL] of all femals which is about 1/3 of all non-borg personnel.

People Point out to me, that my critique in the past was... unfriendly...

Look friendly, unfriendly, hatefull, lovley... whatever, do you guys seriously not see the Problem with this Card right away? and if not, ever considered makeing place for People who do?

No I don´t want that Job, i am just frustrated that despite there is no more financial nessecarity there are still game breaking Cards fired at us that kill the fun, every 2nd Expansion or so.

Take the critique or not, i just wanted to express myselve.
A few thoughts on your thoughts:

1.) As a member of the proofreading team, I have asked after design intent when reviewing cards, mainly for rules interactions, but also with power curve considerations. Others have as well.

2.) Looking at this card I can see where you're coming from with your concerns and I can't say you're wrong.

However, I see this card not being usable until turn 2 at the absolute earliest. I see this as more of a midgame card.

Contrast with War Council, which can be played on turn one fairly reliably with no drawback, and Kivas Fajo - Collector, which has no requirement and only carries a liability if an opponent is running [Ref] cards.

3.) So for the draw function I think it's in line with similar cards. Now for your main concern, I agree that the ability to grab any non- [Bor] female is strong. However, it requires a card play (or Parallax Arguers and a disagreeable opponent) to do so. It also uses your once per turn personnel download. That's going to limit your other plays on your turn to whatever's in your hand that also plays for free, which can still be a lot depending on your deck, but also may not be.

Bottom line for me: It's worth keeping an eye on, but at the same time, I'm glad to see Design continuing to Branch out and try new things. The DS9 block was pretty brutal as far as lots of cards that were UNDER the power curve to the point of being completely uncompetitive. I like the current model of operating at the upper end of the tolerance band and not being afraid to put stuff out there. Coupled with a willingness to reign stuff in when they overshoot (Wisdom of Surak, Seek Hidden Reliquary), I think we're overall in a good place.

Does it bear watching? Sure. Am I convinced it's a problem? Not at this point.

:twocents:

PS: Not for nothing, but I had zero problem with the way your voiced your concerns in this post.
Chief Programmer
By eberlems
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Explorer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E  National Second Runner-Up 2023
On first glance Life´s Simple Pleasures reminds me of Kivas Fajo - Collector, but it's not mentioned on Mirror Image.
But then there is the download for females part. [Hir] [Kaz] [Vid] don't have that many.
Life´s Simple Pleasures doesn't bring the download right to the crew, but nowerdays several other cards do have such report possibilities.
Cards in newer expansions do get better and this seems to be at the top end of this expansion this far.
As for OP or not, I'm not playing enough to decide.

By Tim (Tim Davidson)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Mogh, Son Of Worf wrote:
Armus wrote: However, I see this card not being usable until turn 2 at the absolute earliest.
Romulans for example have no problems setting this up on turn 1 reliably
Setup... but not play Life's Simple Pleasures as a card play first turn.

Typically, decks will set this up on turn 2 to be able to play on turn 3?

And it still costs a card draw and card play.

It's an interesting fear tactic for Parallax Arguers, even if you don't actually have it in hand. How cool is my mostly male crew of 6?

eberlems wrote:Life´s Simple Pleasures doesn't bring the download right to the crew,
Right, it does not say "here". She does require normal quadrant reporting, which prevents Seven of Nine and Kes from popping up in every deck.

By Mogh, Son Of Worf (Meinhard S. Rohr)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Swedish National Champion 2018
Armus wrote:
Mogh, Son Of Worf wrote:
Timo wrote: Setup... but not play Life's Simple Pleasures as a card play first turn.
Who plays events for card plays nowadays?
People who like to play events that don't play on table.... :wink:
Never expect me to read a card to the end :)
So, the 'on table' / 'in core' thing is now a gameplay-relevant thing in 1E instead of just being a phrase that an event is now 'in play' and needs to be placed somewhere?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
^ naming it "the core" was 2E's best idea.

Anyway, is this a buy/sell thread? Because I'm a hard sell. The lack of choice and the size of the required crew make it a build-around-me card without a large constituency. I'm sure we'll see it, but I don't see it supplanting KFC or Ops downloads any time soon.

That said, testing can always use more people, including returning testers.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
This doesn't appear to me to be any more powerful of a draw engine than any other. What it will be good at is "I need _____ to beat this wall, let's dial an answer". That will definitely be enough for it to see play but it restricts what you can use it for since you gotta have 6 together and you can't do both without Parallax help. Which, imho, works against the point of using it for draws.

Grade: solid B+
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Prophet
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
It also specifically says "crew" doesn't that mean you have to leave a ship and 6 guys out in open for a turn to play it next turn?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
LORE wrote:It also specifically says "crew" doesn't that mean you have to leave a ship and 6 guys out in open for a turn to play it next turn?
Ship or facility IIRC. Basically, not an away team.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
LuthySloan wrote:look... 30 secounds after seeing this Cards, it´s obious to me ist overpowered.
We'll see. As a card-drawer, it seems in line with the alternatives (harder to play than KFC, but can't be Mirror-ed, etc.). As a personnel downloader, it seems in line with Ops downloading (no matching/classification restrictions and doesn't eat a draw, but needs setup and has a gender restriction). Its main strength will be the flexibility to do either one, if you need to fetch someone you can, if you're fishing for something else and just need draws you can do that too. Stocking a few of these makes it easier to set up a deck where you want a critical female early while not making the rest dead draws. If you just want downloads or draws you're probably better off with something else.

More generally, I always tend to adopt a "wait and see" approach with new cards. A few months back, there was a thread about how We Are the Metrons was going to ruin the metagame. The card has been used in exactly 0 public decks since Cold Front released. Sometimes first impressions are right, sometimes the conditions needed to make a card work end up being more effort than it seems.
Armus wrote:Bottom line for me: It's worth keeping an eye on, but at the same time, I'm glad to see Design continuing to Branch out and try new things. The DS9 block was pretty brutal as far as lots of cards that were UNDER the power curve to the point of being completely uncompetitive. I like the current model of operating at the upper end of the tolerance band and not being afraid to put stuff out there. Coupled with a willingness to reign stuff in when they overshoot (Wisdom of Surak, Seek Hidden Reliquary), I think we're overall in a good place.
I agree. After TNG block (which was a bit over the curve IMO) there was an over-reaction in DS9 block which was a bit underwhelming, and Design is starting to push the envelope again. I'm fine with that, I'd rather Design err on the side of boldness, as long as we're willing to make tweaks as needed. An errata here or there is preferable to having to make later cards to boost underpowered factions (which would add to the game's clutter).

By Bigm264
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
It's an interesting fear tactic for Parallax Arguers, even if you don't actually have it in hand. How cool is my mostly male crew of 6?
How the heck does Parallax Arguers work?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Bigm264 wrote:
How the heck does Parallax Arguers work?
I play Arguers and say 'That was cool' what 'that' is doesn't much matter.

If you agree that 'that' was cool, I score 5 points and place the Arguers in my point area.

If you don't agree that 'that' was cool, I get to play an event from hand, then I score 0 points and still place the Arguers in my point area.

Or the most fun, if I have any Arguers in my point area, you can nuke one and score whatever it was with plus 5 points. So if you said 'that' was cool, then played Arguers on my Arguers, I'd lose the 5 points I already scored, and you'd place your Arguers in your point area where it's worth TEN points now.

I've never seen a legit parallax argument, but that would definitely be cool! 8)

Does that help at all?

I guess we should have done "What can we do[…]

Jared FW Kris 100-35

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]