This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
So I'm looking at Amanda's Parents and it seems to me that it's useless, kinda like Operate Wormhole Relays used to be.

Since Amanda Rogers can't be in the discard pile anymore, and Parents says to put out-of-play it and two other cards... can this do it if Amanda isn't in the discard?

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I was about to say that Amanda's Parents could still affect Amanda Rogers: Protector via the colon rule, but just saw a weird issue with AR:P. It has a point box of 0 on it like baseline Amanda does, but the card text says to discard it.

So the point box on AR:P seems functionally useless (and thus Amanda's Parents would still affect it, but that's not much of a reason to play it.)

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
EHCCGPP wrote:I was about to say that Amanda's Parents could still affect Amanda Rogers: Protector via the colon rule, but just saw a weird issue with AR:P. It has a point box of 0 on it like baseline Amanda does, but the card text says to discard it.

So the point box on AR:P seems functionally useless (and thus Amanda's Parents would still affect it, but that's not much of a reason to play it.)
AR:P will go to point area like normal Amanda, waiting for an Oof.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I'd agree that was the intent and the way the card would play without the last two words, but it specifically tells us "Discard event." It doesn't go into the points area if it discards.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
EHCCGPP wrote:I'd agree that was the intent and the way the card would play without the last two words, but it specifically tells us "Discard event." It doesn't go into the points area if it discards.
Yes it does. The Glossary is very clear on what should occur:

bonus point area – When you resolve scoring for any non-mission card with a point box, that card (unless it remains on a target or otherwise specifies that it stays in play to score the points) is placed in a bonus point area near your discard pile, as a reminder of those points, even if the card says to discard it. This is not part of your discard pile and is unaffected by cards such as Res-Q or Fire Sculptor. Cards in the bonus point area are no longer in play unless otherwise specified. For example, if a unique captive is placed in the point area using Relics of the Chase, its owner may report another copy of that personnel. If points are scored from a card without a point box (such as Lack of Preparation), that card is discarded when resolved, not placed in the point area. You must keep track of such points by another method.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Fair enough then. It does seem needlessly confusing though, and it seems "Score points" would have been clearer than "Discard event".

All that said, jrch's point about Amanda's Parents having literally no use is valid then.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Just means it needs an errata to catch up to Oof!.

(I suppose this is my bad, since the original errata were on my watch.)
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
No, I think the card is broken now. It requires a target in the discard pile, it isn't there, so the whole card fails.

If it were 2E, as I understand, it would succeed, because they have a "do as much as you can rule," but 1E needs its targets to exist or the whole effect fizzles.*

*(With the small clarification that "a number is not a target;" that is, if a dilemma says "kills two personnel (random selection)" and only one personnel is present, that personnel dies.)
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Yeah, I guess that would work.

Not quite useless, then.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
countermanda is fun...
MN 2024 Gatherings