This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
So we beta tested last night. "Transwarp draft".

Major success! One of my local players who likes 2e and been resistant to 1e ended up saying afterward that he loved it and felt like he "understood how to do 1e without being overwhelmed." So goal 1, be easily accessible, completed. He said he was looking forward to doing it again which is high praise since when he doesn't like something, he's not shy to say so.

Goal 2 was to feel fun to experience players. Well I took a buried alive into Borg ship dilemma (original wording) to the face and loved it. Only fair after I rrd into senior staff meeting only to get nuked by vger at the end of the combo then saved everyone with an escape pod. Old school fun. Palor toff, ssm, temporal rift, borg ship all felt balanced in the limited format.

Goal 3 was to feel balanced. My canary in the coal mine is another local guy who is... sensitive...to something feeling unfair.... ...and he was having fun and didn't complain for a moment.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hoss-Drone wrote:So we beta tested last night. "Transwarp draft".

Major success! One of my local players who likes 2e and been resistant to 1e ended up saying afterward that he loved it and felt like he "understood how to do 1e without being overwhelmed." So goal 1, be easily accessible, completed. He said he was looking forward to doing it again which is high praise since when he doesn't like something, he's not shy to say so.

Goal 2 was to feel fun to experience players. Well I took a buried alive into Borg ship dilemma (original wording) to the face and loved it. Only fair after I rrd into senior staff meeting only to get nuked by vger at the end of the combo then saved everyone with an escape pod. Old school fun. Palor toff, ssm, temporal rift, borg ship all felt balanced in the limited format.

Goal 3 was to feel balanced. My canary in the coal mine is another local guy who is... sensitive...to something feeling unfair.... ...and he was having fun and didn't complain for a moment.
sounds awesome

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Fantastic!

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Drafting is done. Decks being built. Rumor is mark has a Borg ship dilemma. I *may have* the sheliak/Q combo :shifty: and Keith has said he's seeding 24 dilemmas. It's about to get real....

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Hoss-Drone wrote:Drafting is done. Decks being built. Rumor is mark has a Borg ship dilemma. I *may have* the sheliak/Q combo :shifty: and Keith has said he's seeding 24 dilemmas. It's about to get real....
I see Kevin won this thing. Any TrekCenter highlights worth mentioning?

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
Hoss-Drone wrote:Drafting is done. Decks being built. Rumor is mark has a Borg ship dilemma. I *may have* the sheliak/Q combo :shifty: and Keith has said he's seeding 24 dilemmas. It's about to get real....
I see Kevin won this thing. Any TrekCenter highlights worth mentioning?

Nobody faced my sheliak Q combo which meant that I never had the opportunity to use my seeded scanner interference to dl the atmospheric ionization/ distortion field into it also.

Highlights: game 1 vs z

Z went first. On my first turn I played an arch guy and my boratus and beamed down to impose order to blow some stuff up. Z had 4 dilemmas underneath, I had self seeded the nexus - crystalline entity - assimilated vessel - betazoid gift box. After I beamed down, z hit em with thine own self and it was 1996 again :)

I had both copies of data keep dealing in my opening hand so after Z Amanda Rogers the first one (now it's 1999) I played the second and my mini hexany was off and running. I was able to use it to get back the mission skills that Z kept killing. At one point Z wormholed my ship to the far end, I tried to wh back only to get it Amanda'd. I got the win here but it was a serious slog. Z was trying for the 2 mission win with 2 seeded quite a coincidence + Kira taban dying (or particle fountain) + solving the new barash planet + solving pegasus search. I just busted his dilemmas faster than he could find all the skills to get through the triple walls I happened to seed at his missions. (Which made it harder to get anyone killed)

Rd 2 vs mark.

I was able to get boratus to trigger this time but otf course I left 2 of mark's dilemmas under and it was buried alive into Borg ship dilemma. :/ but I got my revenge by wormholing mark's ship right into its path too. :borg:
Mark made me go through 4 missions though... my three and his q planet....

Rd 3 vs Keith

I found his sheliak but solved before they showed up I kissy my only op to it but I palor toff it back and rebuilt it. Keith also struggled to get through my skill walls so I just outraced him.

I'm really looking forward to playing this as a side event at MN masters in September. As kris would say: You gotta be there! (For some awesome vintage 1e)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Great stuff. Sounds like a boatload of fun! :thumbsup:

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I'm glad it went well! Hopefully Coco can become a regular player...

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
I'm gonna try to get my drafted deck entered and attached to the event tonight. And if it goes well, I'll get the other guys entered also. Z drafted a really solid deck.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Gotta say, this was a lot of fun.

The power cards were powerful, but inherently limited by the draft format -- everyone got some, but nobody could get all. So, yeah, I got some Scans and Scanner Interference and Atmospheric Ionization, but Justin got The Sheliak, pre-errata Borg Ship, and a Garbage Scow. Result was close games where we all got to do some very cool stuff.

And there's no concept of a play engine in this format. Everything is either (a) an Interrupt or (b) costs a card play (with a very tiny handful of downloadable/Doorway exceptions), and you get two card plays. So there was wayyyyy less pressure to go top-heavy on free-play personnel. A Sarish Rez was as good as a Data was as good as a Where No Man Has Gone Before.

All-in-all, it nicely merged the virtues of OTSD with the virtues of OTF, and may have been -- at least from my three rounds of play -- the healthiest STCCG environment I've ever participated in.

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:Gotta say, this was a lot of fun.
Agreed, I would recommend anyone that gets the chance to try this format out to do so. It felt so good to finally be able to nuke a mission with Supernova again. :shifty:
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By sayin[…]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]