This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By admiral-mogh (Jorn Engstrom)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Ps. Dont forget to remove the two 2e cards from the OTF banlist when you sever the 1E/2E link in January. :cheersL:
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
admiral-mogh wrote:Ps. Dont forget to remove the two 2e cards from the OTF banlist when you sever the 1E/2E link in January. :cheersL:
Or maybe add them all?

By admiral-mogh (Jorn Engstrom)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Wouldn’t it be better to simply state that 2E is a different game from now on, than to add all 2Ebc cards to the banlist?

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
admiral-mogh wrote:Wouldn’t it be better to simply state that 2E is a different game from now on, than to add all 2Ebc cards to the banlist?
I don't think that would work because I believe as of January the open format will still allow 2E backward compatible cards -- just OTF format won't.

It would be simple to state in the OTF rules that no 2E cards can be used (and remove all 2E cards from the OTF banlist).
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I have not received any official marching orders, but here's the bullet points from the last conversation I had on this subject (in my capacity as a programmer guy):

* 1E Rules will offer no official support for 2EBC cards going forward. The 2EBC Conversion Rules and Converted Card List will cease to be official documents. 2EBC references in the Glossary will be removed. 2EBC cards will exit the ban list. There will be no mention of 2EBC in rules documents for any official format (OTF or Open). Effectively, 2EBC will become like X-List, Klingon Warlords, or Great Wheel Multiplayer -- yeah, you can play it, but it's considered a homebrew rules set, which you use at your own risk, and your T.D.'s rulings are final. (1E Rules won't weigh in.) This part I'm pretty certain of. 1E Rules has been pretty clear about its position on this from day one.

* It is ultimately up to the Organized Play department whether or how 2EBC will still be playable in sanctioned events. There's not really any precedent for sanctioning tournaments that use homebrew rules, but, with the focus on "let people play" coming from OP these days, and with the substantial minority of players who still want 2EBC... I don't know what this ends up looking like. I haven't talked to OP and I don't know who has.

* On the database side, 2EBC cards must remain in the database to support old decklists containing 2EBC cards.

* I think that the card search engine becomes 1E-only by default -- but, since the cards are still in the database, you'll still be able to include 2EBC if you want.

* I haven't had any conversations about converted cards. My guess is that we'll leave the 2E converted cards in the database as-is (with their 1E errata) to maintain support for those old decklists that used them.

* Somebody (me) will have to go through one last time and make sure all the conversion links are correct, and I'm betting on some minor attribute changes to give the 1E conversion priority over the 2E original in search.

* Conversions will continue to be made, but they will no longer be officially designated as conversions (no 2EBC bar at the bottom). This will give them greater flexibility to change mechanics, title, and image from the 2E card that inspired them. I know this because there are currently several conversions in Project Delenn. (Not including the one you're thinking of. We did convert that one, but it tested really badly and got cut. Several others are going ahead, though, and our ability to simply ignore anything on the 2E card that doesn't work in 1E is helping us make better cards.)

Some of this is "stuff I've heard," some of it is my speculation, so take it with a pinch of salt. It could change. But this is my best understanding of how things stand currently.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: * On the database side, 2EBC cards must remain in the database to support old decklists containing 2EBC cards.

* I think that the card search engine becomes 1E-only by default -- but, since the cards are still in the database, you'll still be able to include 2EBC if you want.
Not working on this angle, but my suspicion (and if I'm wrong, my suggestion) will be that while the cards will still exist in the database by number, they won't show up under any searches (including if you ask for it by name). You can still get Irrational Kirk if you remember he's card 3148, but that's it.

(This assumes that cards are stored in decks by number, obviously). That way, the deck builder can still pull those cards for historical purposes, but you can't add them to newer decks.
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:Not working on this angle, but my suspicion (and if I'm wrong, my suggestion) will be that while the cards will still exist in the database by number, they won't show up under any searches (including if you ask for it by name). You can still get Irrational Kirk if you remember he's card 3148, but that's it.
So 1E Search right now, among the billions and billions of handy search options it has, currently has an Expansion Edition search box. It defaults to searching Both editions. I think the solution will be to just toggle that menu so it defaults to searching 1st Edition instead. Then nobody will see any 2E search results ordinarily, but can still go into that menu and switch it back to Both if they really really wanna see 2EBC cards.

Your solution is basically the same thing, but hardcodes it, so the option to search 2EBC goes away completely, rather than just requiring you to select an item on a menu. This would end up being slightly more work for Programming and (I suspect) would piss off considerably more people, which is why I'm betting the solution is just toggle the Expansion Edition box.

...though Programming is going to have to hardcode changes to the forum card search and the "related cards" sections on the card pages anyway, so it doesn't make the hugest of differences.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Your solution is basically the same thing, but hardcodes it, so the option to search 2EBC goes away completely, rather than just requiring you to select an item on a menu. This would end up being slightly more work for Programming and (I suspect) would piss off considerably more people, which is why I'm betting the solution is just toggle the Expansion Edition box.

...though Programming is going to have to hardcode changes to the forum card search and the "related cards" sections on the card pages anyway, so it doesn't make the hugest of differences.
And while you're right that my way will cause more short term pain, I'd argue it saves us a lot more long-term pain in the form of having to eternally explain that this card you found on the search engine that it let you put in your deck isn't actually allowed to be there anymore.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
The Trouble with Tribbles Starter Decks is missing the "tribbled" reprint of Hazardous Duty. Trade Cards Online has a scan of it. One of these days I'll dig my own scanner out and see if it still works, hopefully I can provide a better one..

By harry696
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
ST1E18F06C.jpg
ST1E18F06C.jpg (69.98 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
Here is a scan of the tribble-ized version of Hazardous Duty.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Thanks harry!
AllenGould wrote:And while you're right that my way will cause more short term pain, I'd argue it saves us a lot more long-term pain in the form of having to eternally explain that this card you found on the search engine that it let you put in your deck isn't actually allowed to be there anymore.
I mean.. there are already such cards (granted, not nearly as many as the entire library of unconverted 2EBC cards). You can add, say, Raise the Stakes in the deckbuilder if you want. But it's very obvious on the card's page that it's not legal in any official format, and when you add it to your deck it entirely removes the "This deck is legal in the following ..." sections from the Decklist page. (Perhaps a "This deck is not legal in any recognized card pool or rules set" warning could be added in its place?)

By harry696
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
admiral-mogh wrote:12 virtual promos waiting to be released as printable pdf on January 7th, all set?

:shifty: 8)
According to the virtual promos listing, 12 are waiting to be released for 1E and 12 for 2E on January 7.

I get the MW 80-70....good game.

Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]