This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: But, because of my understand that 1E isn't a "do as much as you can" game, as well as my understanding of the [HA] rule is that Computer Crash reaches back to the reveal of FF:R and prevents the entire card, I would rule that nobody gets stuck on a card.
The last text on FF:R is "discard incident", so if you can still play the card, Crash will still prevens the download, and the people will then follow the incident to discard.

By robbie4boy (Robin Bielefeldt)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote: But, because of my understand that 1E isn't a "do as much as you can" game, as well as my understanding of the [HA] rule is that Computer Crash reaches back to the reveal of FF:R and prevents the entire card, I would rule that nobody gets stuck on a card.
The last text on FF:R is "discard incident", so if you can still play the card, Crash will still prevens the download, and the people will then follow the incident to discard.
I would agree that in the spirit of the game this is the easiest explanation. It also makes the most sense.
From now on we'll play it that the FF:R and personnel go to discard, and the ship goes in the opponent's point area.
Until I hear otherwise.

Robin
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
Mogh, Son Of Worf wrote:
Jono wrote: "revealed" not "played"
This is one of those nonsense rules that really should be fixed - indeed I thought it was and always assumed "played" and "revealed" (or "activated" as is the term for hidden agendas) to be the same thing until a recent tournament where it came up with Kevin Uxbridge and a "revealed" not "played" event. Fortunately, Kevin Uxbridge has its own glossary entry to state that it also applies to "activated" not only "played" as written on Kevin Uxbridge.

In my eyes this is all an issue with poor Decipher wording and rules lawyering and should be fixed, letting revealed / activated / played be affected by the same things without a special glossary entry.

Except Kevin's glossary entry allows you to
Kevin Uxbridge - This interrupt may be
played as a response to the play or activation
of an event.
I used to play this wrong (assuming Kevin didnt work, then I was re-reding the glossary and found that)

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger is pretty good with rules analysis, and he has sussed it out here.
BCSWowbagger wrote:Computer Crash reaches back to the reveal of FF:R and prevents the entire card, I would rule that nobody gets stuck on a card.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
While I have to hash out the exact timing there are two options

1) the Flagship can never be flipped
2) the discard incident puts everyone in the discard pile
I will work on this, but no one gets stuck on the card.

I tend to think it is the former and would rule that way in a tournament

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Jono wrote:(b) require playtesters to test out that rule to make sure it doesn’t pose a problem (and we know playtesters already have their hands full with new cards and errata. Revising such an important rule like the [HA] rule would require a lot of testing). Remember, it’s 1E where weird stuff happens.
This is weird enough that (if I were Charlie) I'd probably just have Rules query Testers and the community for possible weird combos, then test it themselves, internal to Rules. Playtesting is well-equipped to test that new cards conform to intended specifications without creating unintended interactions with other cards. Playtesting is not well-equipped to research, identify, and mitigate complex hypothetical interactions between cards that already exist based on minor alterations in rules text. (That's... actually pretty much the whole job description for Rules.) There are rules changes I would send to playtesting, like, "Hey, we want to make missions stealable once per game; how's that work?" But this proposed change to [HA] isn't one of them.

...anyway, since as far as I know nobody's talking about making this change to [HA] right now (and I have too much of a headache to think through whether it'd be a good idea -- probably? I dunno), this is all academic.

On the actual rules question:
Yeah I don't think there has been any explicit ruling on "do as much as you can" vs. "if you can't do everything, don't do anything." I know some of the rules follow the latter principle (for example, you can't download a scout ship with Scout Encounter if you can't download one or two universals aboard).
I can't think of any situations where 1E follows "do as much as you can." It's very much a "do or do not; there is no partial action" game. Can you think of exceptions?

But, because of my understand that 1E isn't a "do as much as you can" game, as well as my understanding of the [HA] rule is that Computer Crash reaches back to the reveal of FF:R and prevents the entire card, I would rule that nobody gets stuck on a card.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Make It So does NOT unstop the crew aboard a shi[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I won't be available Saturday the 27th. Have other[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And something else ... In Mtg, we always used to […]

Another achievement cycle, another no-update of ne[…]