This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hi guys,

What do you think makes for a great release promo for a virtual expansion? What gets you excited about a promo, or makes you want to get your hands on one? Or are they just not something that matters to you?

Share your thoughts, let us know!

-crp

By Kaiser
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Semi-Finalist 2023
Architect
Cards that are visible on the table and not hidden. Missions > seeds that stick around > ships > interrupts, personnel, equipment. Most foils look good anyway, I don't care about a particular type of image. Ideally it is a card that represents one of the featured themes/mechanics/meta shifts of the set in combination with star power.

Since it is virtually impossible to get your hands on certain promos anyway, I have long since stopped any efforts of completing the collection though. I keep the stuff I get and use(d) the cards in decks, but I no longer actively pursue any particular promo. (Unless it has Spot on it. I'd trade for Spot. Please make a new Spot.)
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
MidnightLich wrote:Hi guys,

What do you think makes for a great release promo for a virtual expansion? What gets you excited about a promo, or makes you want to get your hands on one? Or are they just not something that matters to you?

Share your thoughts, let us know!

-crp
Missions and seed cards tend to be higher on the list than draw deck cards, with the exception of through put stuff like Kivas Fajo & Handshake. For the most part though, I don't chase them I just give them out as prize support.
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
I prefer the 2E "Decipher" model of a Power Card with AI, the Set Name, and Month Year of Release.

Simple. Collectible. Memorable.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
To me, I enjoy "pretty" cards that will look good in foil version.

I also agree on the cards that see the table the most as being nice with alternate versions (don't have to be foils), simply bc if it's a "staple" card, a lot of players will be using it/them and it's nice to see different versions on the table besides the same image every time.

~D

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I just really like it when they have an amazing AI that in foil looks amazing.

Cards that are used in the top 10% of decks, meaning they'll be used a lot, are also welcome.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Something which stays in play throughout the game.

Something that gets discarded early, like ASP or DH, would seem a waste of a good shiny shiny.

Something which encapsulates the set, that shows the overall theme of the expansion.

Something with easy access to a very different AI to make it stand out. Like what the Mosk said about the Archer AI above. Perfect.

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
sexecutioner wrote:Something which stays in play throughout the game.

Something that gets discarded early, like ASP or DH, would seem a waste of a good shiny shiny.

Something which encapsulates the set, that shows the overall theme of the expansion.

Something with easy access to a very different AI to make it stand out. Like what the Mosk said about the Archer AI above. Perfect.
The more commonly used the card is the better, handshake for example
Question for noob

Thanks for all your help! But how does Temporal Mi[…]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]