This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Backwards Compatibility will be ending on Monday, February 4th. Please use this thread to ask any questions you have about the processes involved.

-crp
Ambassador
By Comicbookhero (Michael Moskop)
 - Ambassador
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:Backwards Compatibility will be ending on Monday, February 4th.
This is good for the game. Plain and simple. 1E is its own, completely separate game once again.
Enabran wrote:please convert my beloved USS Enterprise C
LOL. I assumed this thread would devolve into "save my precious card" but not that quickly and not with that particular card first. I definitely could see another version of the C come around though, possibly when work is done to strengthen [CF].
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Comicbookhero wrote:LOL. I assumed this thread would devolve into "save my precious card" but not that quickly and not with that particular card first.
There are BC cards that people have developed genuine attachments to, even if those cards aren't commonly used. I think that it's not entirely fair to say that the thread is "devolving" when someone shows up here to voice a concern about those cards being removed from the game.

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
Comicbookhero wrote: I definitely could see another version of the C come around though, possibly when work is done to strengthen [CF].
I do not want another version of her. I want to use THIS version of her!
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote: There are BC cards that people have developed genuine attachments to, even if those cards aren't commonly used.
Or in this case, is the only person using it. :)

I look at it this way - now that 1E Design doesn't have to tap-dance around 2E versions, we can get even cooler Enterprise-Cs. (Because admittedly the 1E version ain't Decipher's finest work.)

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
there is nothing wrong with the current Enterprise C, except that is 2EBC and illegal in 2 months...
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Fam, I don't think we need to relitigate the 2EBC debate here and now. We've been over this ground enough times that I could write both Allen's and Enabran's posts myself.

The article mentions that 2EBC may be an option in scenario play of some sort. I know it's kind of an OP question, but what will that look like?

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Now that we're looking at the TOS blocks coming next year, there are many opportunities for cards that were 2EBC that may be represented in the new blocks.

Assuming they are included will they have the BC bar on the 1E version, or is TCC done with that?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
According to the article, the conversion bar is a thing of the past. Charlie doesn’t say so explicitly, but it is implied.

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise

By tomek
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I've had a long time to consider how I would respond to this announcement.

The course I've settled on is I'm going to pretty much ignore it.
I'm not going to let an arbitrary decision based on the personal preferences of others determine whether or not I use hundreds of non-broken 1E cards in my 1E decks.

I don't play in enough sanctioned tournaments for this ban to really impact how I build decks and play the game anyway.
Aaron and I have been playing 1E every week for over 20 years now, and we will continue to play 1E every week going forward.

The Continuing Committee has the right to make whatever decisions they wish regarding tournaments that they choose to sanction.
And I have the right to choose which 1E cards to use in my ongoing informal 1E tournaments with Aaron, as long as Aaron and I can agree on their use.

Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations
LLAP
Last edited by tomek on Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
My biggest beef remains that I still don't think an "End a filibuster" level majority should have effected "Amend the Constitution" level change if I can borrow metaphors from U.S. politics. I hope that that does not set a future precedent for such major changes being made.

That said, tomek is quite correct that the CC can do as it wishes.

I will admit that I am heartened that we're already seeing some concepts from 2E that didn't make the cut become 1E cards even if they're not conversions. I hope that trend continues and is in fact prioritized because I do think a lot of cool is in the trashcan right now.

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Boffo97 wrote:I will admit that I am heartened that we're already seeing some concepts from 2E that didn't make the cut become 1E cards even if they're not conversions. I hope that trend continues and is in fact prioritized because I do think a lot of cool is in the trashcan right now.
And I hope that we continue to see more 2E originated stuff come into 1E even if they are not direct conversions myself; I've already mentioned some like Battleship Enterprise and Sirah O'Brien. I assume that will be a thing to an extent right?
tomek wrote:I've had a long time to consider how I would respond to this announcement.

The course I've settled on is I'm going to pretty much ignore it.
I'm not going to let an arbitrary decision based on the personal preferences of others determine whether or not I use hundreds of non-broken 1E cards in my 1E decks.

I don't play in enough sanctioned tournaments for this ban to really impact how I build decks and play the game anyway.
Aaron and I have been playing 1E every week for over 20 years now, and we will continue to play 1E every week going forward.

The Continuing Committee has the right to make whatever decisions they wish regarding tournaments that they choose to sanction.
And I have the right to choose which 1E cards to use in my ongoing informal 1E tournaments with Aaron, as long as Aaron and I can agree on their use.

Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations
LLAP
What individual players do in their own games is certainly no business of the CC, regardless of what the CC does for official tournaments. I myself have never played in a tournament so this doesn't effect me at all. I could tell stories about my individual games, but I'll just leave it at that.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
jrch5618 wrote:I just hope this means that we'll stop seeing 2E-format cards under 'alt versions/personas', especially on Kira where there's a billion 2E Kiras and it's rather annoying.
It's annoying for us on the 2E side as well. Someone should have reined in The Brad after Necessary Evil. :shifty:

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]