This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By tenyu
 -  
Hey all,
Sorry if the topic is vague or in the wrong section (couldn't find a good place to post it)
So basically I played Star Trek CCG 20 years ago for a couple of times with a friend (his cards, I was collecting Star Wars CCG and MTG).
I came by accident on this site and really would like to play the game again but the only rules I ever played was 1E (which I heard became overly complicated ?).
So a question, what would be the easiest way to start ? 1E or 2E ?
Also , can I start by using a virtual deck or would it be better to buy some cards first ?
I wanted to play with my gf to show her the game so basic is best :D

Thanks for any help you can give me

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
2E is much easier to get into. Here's why:

*The spaceline is more like "space." You can travel from any mission to any other mission (add 2 to span to move from a mission in one quadrant to a mission in another quadrant; subtract 2 to span to move between missions in same region).

*There is no seed phase. You place your missions on the table. You set your dilemma pile and draw decks on the table.

*You can not put more than 3 copies of the same copy in a deck.

*There is a cost system so more powerful cards cost more.

All that said, 1E can do things 2E can't do and that is what makes it fun, too.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
tenyu wrote:Hey all,
Sorry if the topic is vague or in the wrong section (couldn't find a good place to post it)
So basically I played Star Trek CCG 20 years ago for a couple of times with a friend (his cards, I was collecting Star Wars CCG and MTG).
I came by accident on this site and really would like to play the game again but the only rules I ever played was 1E (which I heard became overly complicated ?).
So a question, what would be the easiest way to start ? 1E or 2E ?
Also , can I start by using a virtual deck or would it be better to buy some cards first ?
I wanted to play with my gf to show her the game so basic is best :D

Thanks for any help you can give me
First off, welcome back! Have you checked out our FAQ?

Which game to start with can be a complicated question. It really depends on your taste. I like to describe First Edition (1E) as a Star Trek role-playing game involving cards while Second Edition (2E) is a card game involving Star Trek (can you tell who wrote the FAQ??). I usually recommend that people take a gander at 2E first, as the gameplay mechanics are more streamlined than 1E. (Sean did a good job of running down the main differences.) Also, the rulebook is pretty clear and easy to read. Up until recently, I couldn't say the same for 1E, though that new rulebook is slick.

As to virtual vs. real cards, I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are a large number of decks out there at the beginner level to try out, but all of them use a mix of Decipher-era and virtual cards. In fact, I wrote a whole series on this over the last year and a half to address this issue. With all those deck lists available, all you have to do is pick an affiliation, print, sleeve (you can back with any type of card as long as you have opaque sleeves) and have a good time!

Oh, and if you let us know where you're located, we can tell you if there is a player group nearby.

By tenyu
 -  
Thanks for the info.
Will have a look at the 2E rulebook and see if we can get it going.
I will be trying one of the virtual preconstructed decks and see if it is as fun as I remember.

I am currently living in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Thanks for your help, will probably drop by more :)
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
For First Edition, I’d say the Coming of Age Starters for classic TNG decks are really easy to use and a great starting point for 1E. They also contain a brief “how to play” so you can get started quickly.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
tenyu wrote:Thanks for the info.
Will have a look at the 2E rulebook and see if we can get it going.
I will be trying one of the virtual preconstructed decks and see if it is as fun as I remember.

I am currently living in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Thanks for your help, will probably drop by more :)

There are a lot of European players with a lot of events happening this year. Hope you can be able to go to some!

I prefer 1E because its Star Trek made into a card game but I also play 2E.

Many of us play both editions.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
If you've played 1E before, I'd start with 1E. It did get complicated, but a lot of that complexity has been curbed now, and it's the rules you're already familiar with.

Jumping over to 2E was quite a shock to my system. No seed phase, dilemmas drawn out of a deck, cost counters... it's probably the easier game to get into if you're new to both games, but you're already a 1E player, and it strikes me as easier to brush off the 1E cobwebs than learn the all-new-but-slightly-different world of 2E.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]