This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hi all,

We're looking for some data on how people use the Dilemma Resolution Guide, if at all. We have an updated piece of software that lets us manage this old school, Decipher-era document, but it's a lot of work. We want to make informed decisions about how it's being used, so we're turning to you with some questions.

Do you use the Dilemma Resolution Guide (DRG)?
If yes, how often do you use it?
If no, why don't you use it?

If the DRG didn't exist, how would you find out answers to dilemma-questions?
What would make it easier for you to use the DRG?

Thanks!

-crp

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
MidnightLich wrote:Hi all,

We're looking for some data on how people use the Dilemma Resolution Guide, if at all. We have an updated piece of software that lets us manage this old school, Decipher-era document, but it's a lot of work. We want to make informed decisions about how it's being used, so we're turning to you with some questions.

Thanks!

-crp

I use it all the time
Probably every time I play
I dont know how I would find out solutions during a tournament easily about a dilemma

To make it easier to use would maybe be a wiki like searchable database for it that can be added to easily for when new questions and problems come up. Real 'tournament' examples might be helpful esp. for new players or tournament directors that aren't familiar with some of the craziness that dilemmas can do.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
My two buddies and I use it regularly when we play. It's a fantastic resource.

Perhaps it could also get the "Heaney Special," like the rulebook. Better format n all.

Not saying James DOES it. But the rulebook is the bomb.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote: Do you use the Dilemma Resolution Guide (DRG)?
I treat the DRG as pseudo-errata - it's the text that the dilemma should have. I've only looked at it for older dilemmas that are poorly-worded and need the DRG "this is what Decipher was thinking" translation. Personally, I find the entries for newer dilemmas tend to be "let me repeat what the text of the dilemma says but slower and more loudly". :)
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I haven't opened the DRG (except for maintenance) in four or five years. The game's rules for dilemma resolution are clear and consistent by themselves, and I just apply those rules. I really don't understand why we have a separate document for explaining how those rules apply to each and every dilemma. (Why dilemmas specifically, anyway? Why not a resolution guide for every verb in the game?)

Also, the DRG is occasionally just wrong, because Decipher didn't maintain it properly and neither have we. For example, under the modern rules of the game, the DRG entry for Edo Probe is just plain incorrect -- indeed, it directly contradicts the (more recent) Glossary entry for Edo Probe. So even if I open the DRG, I end up having to check the Glossary anyway to make sure the DRG told me the truth.

If there's a collection of problematic and confusing dilemmas, let's make clarifying Glossary entries for them. But has anyone ever had a problem figuring out how Back Room Dealings, Isolinear Puzzle, and No Mention Of Crime work? There's no need to write and maintain a book-length guide to the hundreds of dilemmas that everyone understands.

And if players just don't generally understand dilemma resolution rules enough to apply them confidently and consistently across the game, let's fix that with some education, maybe a tutorial video. I hope that the new Rulebook helps with that somewhat, too.

Just my :twocents: . I'm aware I may be in the minority on this.

P.S. There was a time in the game's past when the dilemma resolution rules were unclear and inconsistent. Reading the DS9 Rulebook's "explanation" of dilemma resolution is like reading mud. The DRG may have made sense in that context. But the rules work now, and they've been stable for a while.

EDIT:
Perhaps it could also get the "Heaney Special," like the rulebook. Better format n all.
Aw, thanks. :)

EDIT II: Here's a link to the new Rulebook's explanation of dilemma resolution.

It was the hardest part of the entire rulebook to write -- even harder than the cumulative rule -- but I think the work paid off.

By Borg King
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I use it almost every game in conjunction with the Glossary, so it's great to have around. Keeping it up to date and clear is important and reading here that that might not be the case has me wondering how many my play group and I have incorrectly resolved now...

:borg:

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:Hi all,

Thanks!

-crp
Do you use the Dilemma Resolution Guide (DRG)? No
If yes, how often do you use it? Never
If no, why don't you use it? I understand dilemma wording enough that I just don't need it

If the DRG didn't exist, how would you find out answers to dilemma-questions? Forum
What would make it easier for you to use the DRG? I would just put the resolution info on the card's database page and do away with the guide.

EDIT: After reading other replies and realizing people use it during the games, definitely do NOT get rid of the guide.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Absolutely essential.

The one time I didn't have it to hand was at Gencon a couple of years ago to correct a ruling Tufts made with Dal'Rok, which would've been handy (If you remember that moment Ken, you and my opponent were wrong, bwaaahahaha)

But anyways, I always have it at the ready. There's no way I'll ever remember timing issues with every single Dilemma, and I always forget whose choice it is when there's a tie, the DRG clears it up nicely :)

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Do you use the DRG? Yes - in fact I keep a copy on my phone and tablet.

If yes, how often do you use it? Average about once each time we play, depending on the experience of the players.

If the DRG didn't exist, how would you find out answers to dilemma-questions? Like I did before the DRG - try to keep current on website and make the best rulings I could.

What would make it easier for you to use the DRG? Hmmmm ... good question I don't have an answer for.
Chief Programmer
By eberlems
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Explorer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E  National Second Runner-Up 2023
How about adding the DRG or Glossary entry directly into the card database and add one page(/export to one pdf) for all entries?
Then the entries are fast to find and faster to edit than one big file.

I used to use the DRG quite often during my active 1E times.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
eberlems wrote:How about adding the DRG or Glossary entry directly into the card database and add one page(/export to one pdf) for all entries?

Now THAT is a fan-damn-tastic idea.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
eberlems wrote:How about adding the DRG or Glossary entry directly into the card database and add one page(/export to one pdf) for all entries?

Good news... that's exactly the way it exists already. ;-)

Go to any dilemma page in the database and you should see a DRG entry link at the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
I was today years old when I found out about this!
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
It hasn't been done since TNG block because I was converting 2e entries. If anyone wants to take a stab at writing them for the newer sets, I welcome all volunteers.

Also feel free to PM me any entries that need updating

I guess we should have done "What can we do[…]

Jared FW Kris 100-35

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]