This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By SAM2000
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hi,

If you have The Beating Heart in play and you encounter a dilemma which causes damage to your ship, which flips a tactic that causes a death, are they "being killed by a dilemma" for the purposes of The Beating Heart?

Thanks

The Beating Heart
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
No, they're being killed by a Tactic.

Come to think of it, "by a dilemma" is a very 2E phrasing that we should probably avoid except where vital. It simplifies things in 2E, but tends to complicate them in 1E.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:No, they're being killed by a Tactic.

Come to think of it, "by a dilemma" is a very 2E phrasing that we should probably avoid except where vital. It simplifies things in 2E, but tends to complicate them in 1E.
Mona Lisa sends her regards. :wink:

By Mogh, Son Of Worf (Meinhard S. Rohr)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Swedish National Champion 2018
BCSWowbagger wrote:No, they're being killed by a Tactic.

I like the phrasing.
There are a lot of ways to kill people outside of dilemmas. I like that there are cards which protect from death in general and cards that protect from specific sources like dilemmas.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:Mona Lisa sends her regards. :wink:
I mean, yeah, what'd it take, five years for Rules to decide how this card works? Assigning responsibility for things exploding is not something this game does well. Mogh is right that "killed by a dilemma" is interesting, but my point is that it's messy and thus best avoided.
I would say it’s a sub action of the dilemma resolution, so ultimately it’s the dilemma causing it! That’s also in keeping with the theme of the card.
It's also a sub-action of the mission attempt, but we wouldn't say that the mission destroyed your ship.
By that logic, you can never earn a Latinum Payoff if you're using a Battle Bridge Door, because it's a tactic that ultimately destroys the enemy ship, not your ship.
I'm inclined to agree; you can't use Latinum Payoff if you have a BBD.

I could be wrong. Or this could be a hole in the current rules. (Hopefully not one that's as hard to fix as Mona Lisa.)

I'm hoping one of the other clever rulesy people will weigh in with a Glossary text I missed.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: I could be wrong. Or this could be a hole in the current rules. (Hopefully not one that's as hard to fix as Mona Lisa.)
If so, then the hole needs to be plugged.

When a tactic destroys a ship, then the ship that shot it in battle also is responsible for destroying the ship.

When a tactic kills a personnel, then the dilemma that placed the tactic is also responsible for killing that personnel.

It's common sense, and if the rules don't support that, then they need to be amended so that they do.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
By that logic, you can never earn a Latinum Payoff if you're using a Battle Bridge Door, because it's a tactic that ultimately destroys the enemy ship, not your ship.

I could be wrong. Or this could be a hole in the current rules. (Hopefully not one that's as hard to fix as Mona Lisa.)

I'm hoping one of the other clever rulesy people will weigh in with a Glossary text I missed.
You technically can use Latinum Payoff if you have a BBD. Step 4 of Battle - Ship says that the player with the BBD *may* draw tactics. If you were only using the BBD for dilemma purposes, you could still get a payoff (if you can win without a tactic).

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
prylardurden wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:

You technically can use Latinum Payoff if you have a BBD. Step 4 of Battle - Ship says that the player with the BBD *may* draw tactics. If you were only using the BBD for dilemma purposes, you could still get a payoff (if you can win without a tactic).
You still have to [Flip] tactics as damage markers to destroy the ship though.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
Boffo97 wrote:Better begin the pfti summoning ritual...

*starts tearing WB95 Mendons in half*

Not Chatoc BRO!

Ill get the RC on this

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
pfti wrote:
Boffo97 wrote:Better begin the pfti summoning ritual...

*starts tearing WB95 Mendons in half*

Not Chatoc BRO!

Ill get the RC on this
I thought Mendon was 2 Chaotic 2 Bro.

Mordock is the OG Chaotic Bro.

Season 1 Represent! 8)
Is Sedis a captain?

It wasn’t deemed important at the time.

(I personally file "2E did it" in the s[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

Nelvana Trap