This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
What's the worst card in the game and why?

(Feel free to give two answers: an overpowered and an underpowered.)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Tribunal of Q.
 -  
Community Contributor
prylardurden wrote:Tribunal of Q.
Ooo, now that's bound to be controversial! Why?

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
At least for now technically, objectively it's Good Shepherd.

Without any BC [Voy] ships ever existing, this card effectively reads "Plays on table. Stop your [Voy] Commander to download some [Voy] personnel to this card. Discard them and this card when you have three of them here.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Maybe Dorian Collins really *IS* Q, and that explains the low Integrity!

How deep does this go?!

By Slayer07
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Boffo97 wrote:Maybe Dorian Collins really *IS* Q, and that explains the low Integrity!

How deep does this go?!
Totally untrue Mortal Q says hi.

That being said, the worst card is A LOT harder to figure out. For Borg players for instance anything they can't put in a deck could be considered this. Bottom line, this is even more of a personal preference than the best card is.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Overpowered - creates a game imbalance:
Quantum Incursions
Temporal Benefactor
Breen Disruptor Burst

Overcorrected - good cards rendered useless:
Q
Scan
Full Planet Scan

Over it - detracts from gameplay experience
1 Tribble

Underdeveloped - cards that need help to be good
[WC] and [RC] [Maq] cards.

Dorian gets solved along with the overcorrected category of Charlie starts allowing re-errata

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Worst card is an interesting ask because there are a lot of cards in 1e that are deemed to be Binder Fodder because they just don't cut it in today's meta (especially some PAQ cards).

Here's a nomination from me for worst card:
Empathic Echo - the text on might as well say "seed this for no effect" because if the player encountering doesn't have empathy in their crew or awayteam it's discarded and even if they do the requirements are so easy that's it's laughable. I don't even remember this being a very good dilemma back in the PAQ days (though someone must have found a good use as it's got a counter card [probably because of a thought fire deck] ).

- James M

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Maman Picard has to be up there:

1. Can't even seed it if you're not seeding Alternate Universe Door or Space-Time Portal.

2. Does absolutely nothing to non [Fed] ships.

3. Consequences of it actually hitting can be very weak, especially if playing with multiple spacelines.

By admiral-mogh (Jorn Engstrom)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Worst card ever that should be banned permanently: Storage Compartment Door.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
admiral-mogh wrote:Worst card ever that should be banned permanently: Storage Compartment Door.
Disagree. That's why I nominated 1 Tribble. The rest of the tribbles and troubles aren't a problem IMO and blowing up Kirk is just fun.
 -  
Community Contributor
Even 1 Tribble isn't very strong, thanks to its once each turn limit. I generally find Tribbles more annoying to play with than to face.

However, their psych-out factor is wayyyyyyy higher than their actual power level, so they are still well worth using from time to time. :)

My nominee is Shipwright. You can easily see how this ended up where it did -- a little negative testing feedback, a little design caution, a lack of understanding of what the solar sail mechanic was going to be about (and I wonder whether an earlier iteration of Alliance For Global Unity was better than the one released, thus nesesscitating caution in other Bajoran cards), and just general fear of power after TNG. I dont blame anyone for how it turned out and can see myself doing the exact same thing (Bigger On The Inside, anyone?). But hoooooo boy it came out badly for shipwright, and this card's failure took down the entire solar sail sub team, which is too darned bad.

Honorable mentions:
Howard Heirloom Candle
Impassable Door

Armus, go to the corner and take Dorian Collins with you. :P

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:Even 1 Tribble isn't very strong, thanks to its once each turn limit. I generally find Tribbles more annoying to play with than to face.
Once each turn but you can get them EVERYWHERE which gives you a lot of options.

Also anyone who wants to ban Storage Compartment Door and render Hero of the Empire unplayable just plain doesn't like fun.
BCSWowbagger wrote:Armus, go to the corner and take Dorian Collins with you. :P
Wrong thread. This isn't Designer Q&A. But even on the merits I didn't actually call Dorian out as a "worst" card.

It's not my fault that nobody thought Integrity 3 and Honor on the same personnel was facially problematic. Your long post trying to defend it, while an admirable attempt, is also a huge unprecedented RetCon from a game design perspective.

Charlie basically admitted that nobody thought too hard about it, which is an honest and even understandable, if slightly frustrating answer. Thus it can go on the cleanup "we'll get to it when we get to it" list.

If anything, I'd honestly rather see Q fixed first.

Apologies for the delays in the results. They will[…]

MW for doctorjoya over tykajada 35-0. GG! :cheers[…]

The sacred cow in 1E for me is: Not Oversimplifiyi[…]

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]