This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
frakkingoff wrote:I bet the 3D effect is even more effective if you just limit it to the card image - that way, it really draws your eye into the art.

If you can get the individual filaments, "Distortion of Space/Time Continuum" might be a particularly good candidate - especially if you taper each individual filament inward, depth-wise. It might be hard though, since there are so many and they are quite thin.
I imagine this was meant as feedback for this thread, and I think you're probably right - on both counts. It would be extra tricky because the image on 1e cards is pretty small, but it would probably be cool for the image to be recessed and then to rise above the frame. Might be worth looking into thinner foam material for that, since the small elements look a bit... top-heavy on the foam I have right now (which was stuff I already had on hand). Even things like the Doorway or Federation icons look a bit weird sticking out that much.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The straight, clean, edges are pretty unforgiving - but they are still really cool!
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote:Romulan spies are everywhere
Still?

STILL?

By tlmirkes (Tim Mirkes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
These are great! What kind of foam layer are you using? Is it craft foam, or foamcore board?

I've been tinkering with a similar concept, but different execution. I'll try to remember to post some pictures when I get home from work so we can compare notes :)
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
tlmirkes wrote:These are great! What kind of foam layer are you using? Is it craft foam, or foamcore board?
It's some sort of craft foam, though I'm afraid I don't know the exact name of it; it was not purchased recently, but rather found, neglected, in some art box of my daughter's (and used with permission, of course).

It is nice and colorful, but it isn't the most forgiving material. A curved cut is hard to accomplish, and if the cut is slightly off, the material doesn't shear very well if the re-cut is too thin.

By tlmirkes (Tim Mirkes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
After some minor technical difficulties, I finally got this image thing figured out. Here are some images of my approach to the 3D card idea. I included both a sort of "front" view, and a slightly more raking view for a bit clearer image of the depth of the image area.

Kevin Uxbridge: Convergence

Yellow Alert

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I love these!

By tlmirkes (Tim Mirkes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
That's glorious! I haven't built up the courage to try one of the ships yet, but this is encouraging to see! It looks fantastic :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]