This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By tlmirkes (Tim Mirkes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
A situation arose last night in a game and neither I nor my opponent were sure how to properly resolve it. I feel like I've read the answer to this somewhere, but my forum-fu seems to be failing me today; my apologies if this is duplicating a previous question.

My opponent hit the following sequence during a mission attempt:

1. AT encounters Phased Matter.
2. AT split into 2 ATs: 2 personnel with SCIENCE and ENGINEER, 4 personnel.
3. Dilemma is placed on larger AT, which phases.
4. SCIENCE and ENGINEER present in unphased AT on planet immediately, Phased Matter discarded.

The next dilemma was Chalnoth, and the AT could not defeat him (not enough SECURITY and STRENGTH < 40). So I get to choose who Chalnoth kills in the AT, but do I have 2 personnel or 6 to choose from? When the larger AT phases, are they removed from the mission attempt, forming a separate AT because phased personnel cannot participate in mission attempts?

The glossary for Phased Matter is mute on this point, and the entry for Away Team and Crew doesn't specify that phased behaves the same way as stopping, stasis, or otherwise disabling.

So does the larger AT simply rejoin the smaller one when the Phased Matter is cured, and the reunited AT continues to the next dilemma if during a mission attempt?

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
tlmirkes wrote: So does the larger AT simply rejoin the smaller one when the Phased Matter is cured, and the reunited AT continues to the next dilemma if during a mission attempt?
Yes.

By tlmirkes (Tim Mirkes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
commdecker wrote:
tlmirkes wrote: So does the larger AT simply rejoin the smaller one when the Phased Matter is cured, and the reunited AT continues to the next dilemma if during a mission attempt?
Yes.
Excellent. I was hoping it was that simple. Thanks!

By KNomad (Damon Sommer)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Dilemma Resolution Guide (12/24/12): Split AT into two AT's (your choice) and place dilemma on larger AT (your choice if equal), which is “phased”. (If only one personnel, ATs have 1 and 0 members.) If ENGINEER and SCIENCE present in unphased (smaller) AT, discard cured dilemma. Otherwise, phased AT, though not “stopped”, may not beam up or participate in mission attempt until cured. Smaller AT is not “stopped” and must continue to next dilemma. Discard dilemma when cured with ENGINEER and SCIENCE in another AT on planet. (Emphasis mine)

Two separate Away Teams are formed, one phased, one not. Even if the the smaller Away Team can cure the larger, the smaller Away Team continues the mission attempt alone.

Separate Away Teams on a planet only rejoin into one at the end of turn.

By tlmirkes (Tim Mirkes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
KNomad wrote:Two separate Away Teams are formed, one phased, one not. Even if the the smaller Away Team can cure the larger, the smaller Away Team continues the mission attempt alone.

Separate Away Teams on a planet only rejoin into one at the end of turn.
But neither away team is stopped, and thus they do not form a separate away team. From Away Team and crew:

"All your compatible personnel aboard one ship or facility (at one site, if a Nor), or on one planet (outside a facility or landed ship) form a single Away Team or crew, except personnel who are “stopped,” disabled, or in stasis, who form a separate group during your turn."

Phasing doesn't act the same way as being stopped, disabled, or in stasis and doesn't actually create a separate AT. As soon as the "phased" status is cleared, the AT definition takes over and the whole group continues on because there is nothing preventing them from being a single AT.

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
KNomad wrote:Dilemma Resolution Guide (12/24/12): Split AT into two AT's (your choice) and place dilemma on larger AT (your choice if equal), which is “phased”. (If only one personnel, ATs have 1 and 0 members.) If ENGINEER and SCIENCE present in unphased (smaller) AT, discard cured dilemma. Otherwise, phased AT, though not “stopped”, may not beam up or participate in mission attempt until cured. Smaller AT is not “stopped” and must continue to next dilemma. Discard dilemma when cured with ENGINEER and SCIENCE in another AT on planet.
Emphasis is mine now. You cured the dilemma, so you don't read the part after the "otherwise".
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Thread necro!

The DRG seems to have been updated, but I don't think it answers the question of what happens to the phased away team if you can cure the phasing right away. The Away Team entry in the Glossary seems to imply that they SHOULD rejoin the attempt, but it doesn't specifically mention phasing.

I suggest a slight tweak to the DRG entry:
Phased Matter wrote:Divide all personnel in Away Team into two Away Teams. You choose which personnel join which Away Team and how many personnel are in each Away Team. If you only have one personnel present, that personnel joins one Away Team, and the other has 0 personnel in it. Select a target (the larger Away Team, your choice if of equal size) and place dilemma on target;target Away Team is phased while targeted by dilemma. Phased Away Team may not beam, interact with non-phased cards,attempt missions, or be targeted by any other cards or effects. If untargeted Away Team meets conditions (ENGINEER and SCIENCE), discard cured dilemma; targeted Away Team rejoins mission attempt and mission continues. Otherwise,dilemma remains on targeted Away Team until a different Away Team on planet meets conditions (ENGINEER and SCIENCE). Untargeted Away Team not stopped. Mission continues
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
:thumbsup:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:08 pm
BCSWowbagger wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:44 pm :thumbsup:
I got a :thumbsup: from the RM. Glee!
You should submit a nerd resume. Never know when the RM needs more rules nerds! :wink:
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
I would suck at that job. I can’t even manage correct rulings in 2E sometimes. 😳

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
As long as you don't get confused as to which game you are playing. ;)
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
When I play 2E I have a strange desire to draw to end my turn.

And when I play 1E, I forget half the time. 🤦‍♀️

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during a […]

No, because the set was released yesterday, so the[…]

New Tribbles set Bad Moon

Why has no one confirmed the obvious. [Trob] […]