This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
I have been playing the game for a year now. I have spent alot of money between both types of cards. I have suggestions I think would improve the game to reduce the frustration. I will list them below and please join in or comment on my suggestions. If there is already a topic for suggestions I'm sorry ahead of time.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
1e Card search engine

Search by afflication logo without doing a copy and paste work around that is buggy at best honestly.

Interrupts

Add a skill to a personal until end of turn.

Add a stat increase to a personal until end of turn

Protect a event from nullified until end of turn

I have plenty more but I will see how people feel about these first before revealing them all. Basically I have said it from day 1 honestly. Star trek lacks general cards. First set had a bunch but it was stopped except one shots after first set. Let me know what you all think please.
Last edited by Ray of justice on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Kaiser
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Semi-Finalist 2023
Architect
Ray of justice wrote:
Interrupts

Add a skill to a personal until end of turn.
This i would find highly problematic. A generic dial a skill card without any limitations would be just about the most valuable dilemma busting tool outside of outright dilemma nullification. It doesn't need to get more powerful than Vina or K'chiq.

In comparison, stat gaining and event protection are not even close and i could see those ideas finding support.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Well I understand your point but dilemmas are basically the only defense in the game. One dilemma should not win you the game. Honestly with the increase of the outstanding virtual dilemmas. The traditional dilemmas just don't hold up anymore. So if you get stuck on 3 dilemmas you are basically sitting there because the game is over. I honestly have 94 card decks just to get around dilemmas.

The whole point for more general cards was look at magic the gathering. I would say a 1/3 of every set is general cards. I personally think there should be a treaty for every combination in the game. I would love to build a cardassian Klingon deck. It is not really possible except alliance people only. Fengri have no treatys. I would love to see more non alinged species. There is only 4 baku but there were at 50 in the movie. If there was more general draw engine or report engine it would help out alot of decks. Red alert was way too powerful but it could be put in every deck. New arrivals is good but with the drawback. It should just be any one personal may report for free each turn.

Honestly with that simple of a change to new arrivals you have your draw and report engine. So you don't see different flavor but it is still just a draw/report engine in every deck.

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
94 cards? It sounds like you could use some guidance in building tighter decks. You shouldn't really need so many in order to get around the wall dilemmas in the game. What dilemmas are your biggest problems? And what personnel (and how many) are you putting in just because of dilemma coverage?

You're welcome to post your decks and ask for suggestions. You also might want to look through decks that are posted on the site, and see how they cover lots of skills with fewer personnel. There are sometimes deckbuilding articles available as well, that discuss the choices made when building a particular deck -- here's one that I wrote: https://www.trekcc.org/articles/index.p ... ticle=1205

Regarding the "add a skill" effect, you could try Reflection Therapy. Depending on your deck, there are other more specific instances -- Kaiser mentioned Vina and K'ChiQ ; there's also Borg Queen, Dominion Hierarchy, You Can't Kill the Captain, Comfort Women, and several others.
Ray of justice wrote:1e Card search engine

Search by afflication logo without doing a copy and paste work around that is buggy at best honestly.
I'm not sure what you're doing here, but Affiliation is the second dropdown in the top line of the card search interface.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
I will think about asking questions about my decks.

The one dilemma off the top of my head that always stops me is exclusive decision. All major leaders or padd. It stops me alot which is why I started putting medical padd from voyager in every deck. It is a example of a general card. There is a engineering padd too. Those are only 2 general padds in the game. Just one example for you.

I'm glad you brought up afflication drop-down box. What I what you can't find without the copy and paste work around in the game text box.

Example

Enterprise e incident that lets you play them for free. Copy the enterprise e symbol from the incident into the gametext box. It would have letters inside of brackets. It will give you every card with that symbol in the game.

I used that example because if you want to look for Klingon symbol you have to do the samething as e symbol logo.

I checked it you can search by afflication logo in second edition search engine.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ray of justice wrote:I will think about asking questions about my decks.

The one dilemma off the top of my head that always stops me is exclusive decision. All major leaders or padd. It stops me alot which is why I started putting medical padd from voyager in every deck. It is a example of a general card. There is a engineering padd too. Those are only 2 general padds in the game.
What affiliation do you play? I agree that Executive Authorization can be a tough dilemma if you aren't prepared for it, but there's plenty of good options to get past it, many of which are downloadable one way or another.

There's also Lopez, Mila, Bareil, TNG Quark, Jake Sisko, Strom, and Jeremy Lucas, any of whom can grab you a PADD at [DL] speed mid mission attempt. That can be a game-winning move.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
Ray of justice wrote: The one dilemma off the top of my head that always stops me is exclusive decision. All major leaders or padd. It stops me alot which is why I started putting medical padd from voyager in every deck. It is a example of a general card. There is a engineering padd too. Those are only 2 general padds in the game. Just one example for you.
Yes, Executive Authorization is one wall dilemma that's not skill-based, and will sometimes need particular care. One general way past it is a PADD -- and there are a handful that are not restricted by affiliation(ish): Medical and Engineering, as you found, but also Science and Trilithium Weapon Control PADD. All will give certain boosts to certain people depending on classification, or in the case of the last one, skills. But then, every deck doesn't need an affiliation-free solution. In a Federation deck, you can use the Federation PADD instead. Same for several other affiliations. A few of the PADDs with affiliation names will even boost other affiliations based on an icon ( [1E-DQ] or [22] ).

But many decks will also be able to pass this dilemma by using one of the other listed characteristics, and not have to fall back on a PADD. Many personnel that a typical deck is probably already using will be able to satisfy the requirements. I won't list every example from the card, but I'll note that most [Bor] decks use the Borg Queen, most [Fer] decks use a Grand Nagus (often Zek), and most [Dom] decks use someone who's a Founder. Plus, these keywords often get snuck onto new personnel that you wouldn't normally expect to have them, like Morulla, Jeremy Lucas, Lissan, and Ranjen Koral. Ethan Novakovich is a card that was apparently built around checking as many "characteristic" boxes as possible.

In my recent decks, I haven't had to put anyone in just because of Exec. The personnel I've been using anyway could pass it, including:
[Kli] [22] General K'Vagh
[Rom] [22] Lissan and V'Las
[KCA] Regent Worf
[Baj] Kai Opaka and Winn Adami

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Ray of justice wrote:I have been playing the game for a year now. I have spent alot of money between both types of cards. I have suggestions I think would improve the game to reduce the frustration. I will list them below and please join in or comment on my suggestions. If there is already a topic for suggestions I'm sorry ahead of time.

Welcome to the game.

Definitely sounds like you might need some advice about deck building

But where are you located? Who are you playing with?

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
DarkSabre wrote:
Ray of justice wrote:I have been playing the game for a year now. I have spent alot of money between both types of cards. I have suggestions I think would improve the game to reduce the frustration. I will list them below and please join in or comment on my suggestions. If there is already a topic for suggestions I'm sorry ahead of time.

Welcome to the game.

Definitely sounds like you might need some advice about deck building

But where are you located? Who are you playing with?
I'm in Nashville tn. I just play with my own group of friends. So we have our own ban list. We even have a restricted list which trekcc should have honestly. I have noticed alot of banned cards are not bad if you can only have one per deck. Dixon hill for example is a good ability. You still got to get through all dilemmas and that once per game ability is basically all he has period. So one per deck is not bad to me anyway.

I totally disagree on the no 2ebc cards. I have b4 in the Android deck just for flavor but it only exists in 2e. I have if you control 3 personal of different groups events in alot of decks. Those are needed general cards. Enterprise e 2e does not need the e symbol so you can make a enterprise deck start to finish.

I'm a very defensive player coming from magic the gathering. My magic decks were 68 cards because of extra lands. So my star trek decks are 94 cards because I try to cover everything possible. I have looked at online decks. They usually cover all skills but they put there eggs in limited baskets. I feel confident knowing if I lose a medical personnel it does not matter. Since I have another one coming up soon. I do admit I could probably shaved 15 cards off if I really understand the game. The fact you never know what dilemmas are coming up it is hard to shave anything in my deck.

I try to play different types of decks. I was happy they made stone of gol cards. They are my favorite episodes period. I have a fengri deck. I have a classic Klingon and fed deck. I have a hq fed and romulan mixed deck. Pure bajoron deck. Romulan underground. Spires of Romulas and lower decks decks. Andriod and borg deck and many others.

The main problem I have with the game is my friends. They basically want to play maybe once a month. I get disllussion with the game.

The most frustrating thing ever happened to me was Klingon bounty or abandoned ship dilemma.

Klingon bounty is straight up broken there is no defense to it besides Amanda rogers. The rest of that game I heard how many lights do you see from my friend. I understand if I was damaged or my Shields were down on ship. Just to straight up steal a personal is broken to me.

Abandoned ship I lost 30 crew members and it was right next to my friends outpost. So they were captured and I lost the game by 2 dilemmas since I hit virus dilemma before it.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Ray of justice wrote:
I'm in Nashville tn. I just play with my own group of friends. So we have our own ban list. We even have a restricted list which trekcc should have honestly. I have noticed alot of banned cards are not bad if you can only have one per deck. Dixon hill for example is a good ability. You still got to get through all dilemmas and that once per game ability is basically all he has period. So one per deck is not bad to me anyway.
Many decks can win on turn 6 and Dixon Hill just lets you power through without worrying if you lose an important personnel - esp. with high point missions who require a lot of requirments,
I totally disagree on the no 2ebc cards. I have b4 in the Android deck just for flavor but it only exists in 2e. I have if you control 3 personal of different groups events in alot of decks. Those are needed general cards. Enterprise e 2e does not need the e symbol so you can make a enterprise deck start to finish.
Many people agree with you but there are many 2EBC cards that are unusable or just short of broken in 1E. For OTF it needed to be done.
I'm a very defensive player coming from magic the gathering. My magic decks were 68 cards because of extra lands. So my star trek decks are 94 cards because I try to cover everything possible. I have looked at online decks. They usually cover all skills but they put there eggs in limited baskets. I feel confident knowing if I lose a medical personnel it does not matter. Since I have another one coming up soon. I do admit I could probably shaved 15 cards off if I really understand the game. The fact you never know what dilemmas are coming up it is hard to shave anything in my deck.
I feel that, I used to play like that when I first played the game. However speed is also a need in this game and one can also always stock doubles of key personnel and if one dies bring the other into the game. Would love to see your deck lists.

The main problem I have with the game is my friends. They basically want to play maybe once a month. I get disllussion with the game.
Willing to play on lackey ccg? Are you active on the Facebook group Star Trek CCG?

The most frustrating thing ever happened to me was Klingon bounty or abandoned ship dilemma.

Klingon bounty is straight up broken there is no defense to it besides Amanda rogers. The rest of that game I heard how many lights do you see from my friend. I understand if I was damaged or my Shields were down on ship. Just to straight up steal a personal is broken to me.
Why not stock Rescue Captives?
Abandoned ship I lost 30 crew members and it was right next to my friends outpost. So they were captured and I lost the game by 2 dilemmas since I hit virus dilemma before it.
For this you need to start changing how you attempt Space Missions. I always use multiple ships & crews for that reason OR seed STP which can return my ship to hand in mid attempt.

Welcome to posting on the boards. We are all (mostly) friendly and always willingly to help people strategize, create decks, and play with other players.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Ray of justice wrote:I'm glad you brought up afflication drop-down box. What I what you can't find without the copy and paste work around in the game text box.

Example

Enterprise e incident that lets you play them for free. Copy the enterprise e symbol from the incident into the gametext box. It would have letters inside of brackets. It will give you every card with that symbol in the game.

I used that example because if you want to look for Klingon symbol you have to do the samething as e symbol logo.

I checked it you can search by afflication logo in second edition search engine.
So the problem is basically that you're not familiar with all the icon abbreviations? Yeah, I can see how that would be an issue. ;-) When I get home tonight I'll add mouse-over hints to the icons where they appear in the "Icons" section, so you can look there to find what the text version of the icon is. Do you think that would help?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by the 2E engine allowing you to search by Affiliation logo? It works the same way, you can search by affiliation of the card, but to search for icons within the gametext you need to type in [Rom] or the appropriate text code into the gametext search box.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
DarkSabre wrote:
Ray of justice wrote:
For this you need to start changing how you attempt Space Missions. I always use multiple ships & crews for that reason OR seed STP which can return my ship to hand in mid attempt.
No, Space-Time Portal can't do that in the middle of a mission attempt.

The way I avoid Abandon Ship is to not attempt missions with a ship that's already damaged. Dilemmas that damage you also stop you; use a different ship in the next attempt. If your ship is fine, then Abandon Ship doesn't do anything to you.
Welcome to posting on the boards. We are all (mostly) friendly and always willingly to help people strategize, create decks, and play with other players.
:thumbsup: :P :cheersL:
Virtual Promos 2E

What is the status of promos 0 VP 353, 0 VP 354, a[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Keywords are written in lore, not implied Exc[…]

Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]