This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Which special ability, if any, should be on Yarnek?

No special ability or download.
7%
[DL] Any personnel with "Excalbia" in lore.
9%
[DL] Any personnel with Honor x2 or Treachery x2 (to hand)
2%
[DL] Stone Knive and Bearskins
2%
[DL] The Savage Curtain
8%
[SD] Away Teams present on planet may ignore affiliation battle restrictions.
21%
[SD] Excluded from personnel battles.
2%
[SD] If Excalbia completed: Honor x2 OR Treachery x2.
10%
[SD] Immune to blade weapons.
1%
[SD] Nullifies Rock People.
12%
[SD] Once per game, may download an Excalbian here.
7%
[SD] Once per game, may nullify any objective with "Prepare" in title.
2%
[SD] Once per game, may stop any ship here.
1%
[SD] Once per game, take up to 4 Honor or Treachery personnel from discard pile to hand.
1%
[SD] Two personnel present may mix as if [NA].
16%
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Welcome to step 7 of Will of the Collective VI! In the previous step, we received nominations for fifteen (15) different special abilities or special downloads for Yarnek. I was able to curate the list fairly easily by combining similar suggestions together, leaving almost all of the core ideas intact.

Your job now is to vote on the special skill or download that you want to appear on our personnel - if any. This poll will be up through Wednesday, February 13th, giving you a full forty-eight (48) hours to cast your votes. Each of you will be able to vote for up to two choices, and you can change your vote at any time until the poll closes.

If we don't have a clear winner, there will be a runoff vote posted after this poll closes. A runoff will be triggered if the top two choices are tied, or if their combined total number of votes is less than half the total number of votes. Otherwise, there won't be a runoff vote and the winner will move on to the next step. If we do have a runoff vote, it will be a quick, 24-hour poll. Additionally, there will be an option on the runoff poll to include both special abilities, if two different abilities advance. So vote, then feel free to reply to this thread with your votes and try to sway others to your side!

In the mean time, after you've voted, head over to the mission voting step to decide what requirements will be on Excalbia!

Happy voting!

-crp
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
This took too long and so I probably won't do it again, but here is how they all look. (Hidden because it breaks layout.)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Mogor wrote:Personally I think the attack restriction ignoring would be an OP as heck ability it would be a lot of design restrictions on the card to ensure its not significantly over the curve
Maybe add (while on Excalbia)?

That way it's only broken at one location. :wink:

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Mogor wrote:Personally I think the attack restriction ignoring would be an OP as heck ability it would be a lot of design restrictions on the card to ensure its not significantly over the curve
It's a big deal for the federation, certainly, though they don't have an abundance of high strength personnel to exploit it with. For most affiliations he's a walking HQ: Defensive Measures for personnel battle, allowing them to attack on planets in mirror matchups, which is a situationally good ability.

Since he has to be present for the battle, it seems like one way to balance it would be to give him a relatively low strength or an Odo-style restriction against benefiting from hand weapons.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired

I'd rather let the play testers see if they can break something with it instead of hamstringing it to begin with.

I don't think its terribly OP
 -  
Prophet
DarkSabre wrote:

I'd rather let the play testers see if they can break something with it instead of hamstringing it to begin with.

:thumbsup:

The cards, no matter what text ends up on them, will go through testing. I trust our testers to shake things out that need to be shaken out.

-crp
 -  
Prophet
With 24 hours to go, we have two choices in the lead. In 1st place is "[SD] Away Teams present on planet may ignore affiliation battle restrictions" with seventeen (17) votes; in 2nd place is "[SD] Two personnel present may mix as if [NA] " with twelve (12) votes. Right now, that would trigger a runoff between those two options (with a third option for "both" available.)

But a lot can change in 24 hours, and there have been some good arguments for and against the different special skills and/or downloads. Let's see how the final results look tomorrow!

-crp

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
DarkSabre wrote:

I know of quite a few games that I've personally played where the ability would be game changing

By Davey1983
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Mogor wrote:
DarkSabre wrote:

I know of quite a few games that I've personally played where the ability would be game changing
There is a difference between game changing and over powered.
Deck Design Strategy

And something else ... In Mtg, we always used to […]

Another achievement cycle, another no-update of ne[…]

I know that, when this was ruled, it was intended[…]

I get the FL 100-0....game over in 10 minutes due […]