This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

In which formats should the "seed phase card type limitations" change be made?

OTF Only
15%
All Formats
85%
None
No votes
0%
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:
AllenGould wrote:I wonder... could we just add a last step for "everything that didn't state another step"? (The "vowel step" - Incident, Events, and Objectives. :D )
Look at it this way: if this change goes through, the "facility phase" becomes the "everything else" step.
I was thinking of adding it after facilities. (Because there are some sequencing issues between facilities and cards as well.)

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I can see the need for this, particularly, as Lore mentioned, in specifics instances for gamesmanship.

But as also mentioned, with batch seeding, I think this is less of an issue

Having said that, I voted for all formats. Honestly, the game s longevity rests, in my opinion, with design and expanding the card pool. So whatever furthers this is what I will support.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
huh... i just assumed because of the way the OTF rules were written with "everything else" that you couldn't really do that anyway! The glossary allows it but the OTF rules don't say anything about seeding anything you want before the "everything else" part of the dilemma phase, and subsequent facility phase. I do recall "outseeding" being a thing "back in the day". It usually involved holding self seeds back, usually a Barcley's Proto Disease you wanted to encounter first for a quick 10 points. The batch seeding rules where you put self seeds on top of the stack to be encountered last put an end to that.

Also you would sometimes hold one dilemma back to see where someone wanted to stick their artifact so you could add an extra dilemma there. Again the batch seeding rules already makes that impossible.

What I would like to do is cluster all my missions together in some decks, but a good player should see what you are trying to do and just start droppnig their own [HA] / [Evt] /etc to stop you.

That being said............ since this changes very little anyway................ just make it official in all formats. much easier to explain the rules when they are consistant across formats.

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Takket wrote:huh... i just assumed because of the way the OTF rules were written with "everything else" that you couldn't really do that anyway! The glossary allows it but the OTF rules don't say anything about seeding anything you want before the "everything else" part of the dilemma phase, and subsequent facility phase. I do recall "outseeding" being a thing "back in the day". It usually involved holding self seeds back, usually a Barcley's Proto Disease you wanted to encounter first for a quick 10 points. The batch seeding rules where you put self seeds on top of the stack to be encountered last put an end to that.

Also you would sometimes hold one dilemma back to see where someone wanted to stick their artifact so you could add an extra dilemma there. Again the batch seeding rules already makes that impossible.

What I would like to do is cluster all my missions together in some decks, but a good player should see what you are trying to do and just start droppnig their own [HA] / [Evt] /etc to stop you.

That being said............ since this changes very little anyway................ just make it official in all formats. much easier to explain the rules when they are consistant across formats.
Well it might make me more...strategic...in a couple of weeks
 -  
Community Contributor
HoodieDM wrote:I still think Dilemmas should be seeded last anyways.

~D
Like, after facilities?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
HoodieDM wrote:I still think Dilemmas should be seeded last anyways.

~D
Like, after facilities?
Yeah because everyone deserves to have outpost raid placed by their outpost....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
DarkSabre wrote: Yeah because everyone deserves to have outpost raid placed by their outpost....

In principle, I agree with you.

In practice, Headquarters makes Outpost Raid useless a lot of the time anyhow.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
frakkingoff wrote:
DarkSabre wrote: Yeah because everyone deserves to have outpost raid placed by their outpost....

I was actually being sarcastic. That dilemma would be an insta-kill against speed decks so actually that would be amazing but then the rule would also make sheliak non possible to be unbanned because if knew for sure your outpost would be there then can go for it.
 -  
Community Contributor
DarkSabre wrote:
frakkingoff wrote:

I was actually being sarcastic. That dilemma would be an insta-kill against speed decks so actually that would be amazing but then the rule would also make sheliak non possible to be unbanned because if knew for sure your outpost would be there then can go for it.
In a world where dilemmas came after facilities you'd just end up with "thou shalt never attempt your outpost mission" gameplay, because you'd be betting that the opponent just decided not to seed one of the *many* dilemmas that are very bad to hit at an outpost.
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:In a world where dilemmas came after facilities you'd just end up with "thou shalt never attempt your outpost mission" gameplay, because you'd be betting that the opponent just decided not to seed one of the *many* dilemmas that are very bad to hit at an outpost.
That's already close to the current state in my meta. Symbalene Blood Burn doesn't always hit, but, when it does, its text may as well say, "Plays on table. You may not play the game for four turns. May not be nullified." In a game that only lasts maybe six turns, that's far too dangerous even to risk.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
AllenGould wrote:In a world where dilemmas came after facilities you'd just end up with "thou shalt never attempt your outpost mission" gameplay, because you'd be betting that the opponent just decided not to seed one of the *many* dilemmas that are very bad to hit at an outpost.
That's already close to the current state in my meta. Symbalene Blood Burn doesn't always hit, but, when it does, its text may as well say, "Plays on table. You may not play the game for four turns. May not be nullified." In a game that only lasts maybe six turns, that's far too dangerous even to risk.
Yeah I just realized what that card does and I'm surprised it exists. Since no one seems to be screaming for a ban or Nerf I guess it must not be that bad?

I guess the solution is two outposts or play out of hq for a while and never leave people on the Outpost while trying the mission there

Make It So does NOT unstop the crew aboard a shi[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I won't be available Saturday the 27th. Have other[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And something else ... In Mtg, we always used to […]

Another achievement cycle, another no-update of ne[…]