This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

What should Yarnek's INTEGRITY value be?

20%
62%
13%
2%
2%
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hello!

It's time to pick attributes for Yarnek. To do so, there will be three polls - one each for INTEGRITY, CUNNING, and STRENGTH. In this poll, we'll be deciding Yarnek's INTEGRITY.

INTEGRITY is still one of the more difficult attributes to define, because morality is so variable. However, in general, INTEGRITY is a measure of a character's morality, trustworthiness, kindness, and generosity as defined by 20th century standards. The higher the INTEGRITY, the kinder, the more honorable, trustworthy, and loyal the personnel; the lower the score, the more those attributes don't apply.

As Yarnek doesn't have [SD] Honor or [SD] Treachery, neither extremely low nor extremely high values for INTEGRITY are justified. I've put the reasonable values in this poll. You can vote for one (1) option in this poll, and the poll will remain open until Wednesday, February 27th. You can change your vote at any time until the poll closes.

If there are clear winners for each attribute - a value that has a majority of the votes - then those values will be Yarnek's attributes. However, if any attributes do not have a clear winner, either because the top two choices are tied or because the winner does not have a majority, then we will have a shared runoff. For example, if the clear winner for INTEGRITY is 7, the clear winner for CUNNING is 8, but there was a tie for STRENGTH between 8 and 9, then the runoff poll would have two options:

INTEGRITY 7 - CUNNING 8 - STRENGTH 8

OR

INTEGRITY 7 - CUNNING 8 - STRENGTH 9

Good luck and have fun deciding Yarnek's INTEGRITY!

-crp

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Timo wrote:Yarnek has amoral with no conception of human good or evil. Is something like "NO INTEGRITY" or Q an option?
I voted 5 for this reason, because it's a balance between them. I understand your point about no concept, but NO Integrity is generally more despicable like Kivas and not just somebody that doesn't understand the concept.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Official definition from the Premiere Rulebook:
Integrity characterizes morality, loyalty, and discipline.
Charlie is correct that the interpretation of this has been somewhat controversial, and that many now view it solely as a measure of morality (by our standards).

By DarkSabre (Austin Chandler)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Maelwys wrote:
Timo wrote:Yarnek has amoral with no conception of human good or evil. Is something like "NO INTEGRITY" or Q an option?
I voted 5 for this reason, because it's a balance between them. I understand your point about no concept, but NO Integrity is generally more despicable like Kivas and not just somebody that doesn't understand the concept.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Also he shouldn't be able to be hit by firestorm
 -  
Prophet
BCSWowbagger wrote:Official definition from the Premiere Rulebook:
Charlie is correct that the interpretation of this has been somewhat controversial, and that many now view it solely as a measure of morality (by our standards).
I suspect that even Decipher, by the end of their run with the game, did so. That metric (from the point of view of 21st century morality) was the definition of the scale of 2E's Integrity.

-crp

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
BCSWowbagger wrote:Official definition from the Premiere Rulebook:
To be fair, by that definition Decipher messed up a lot of cards as well.

Like, say, Premiere Romulans who showed no sign whatsoever of being disloyal or undisciplined, but got really low INTEGRITY for being very immoral by our standards.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I think Decipher thought Romulans were inherently less loyal than the other two races, and that it was simply in their nature to stab people in the back. Hence, lower INTEGRITY across the board.

Of course, it probably helped that Decipher needed to finish its "good at one attribute, bad at another" thing that was supposed to flavor and balance Premiere. Fed had high Int / low Str, Kli had high Str / low Cun, and Romulans had high Cun and low Int was what was left. (Hence the color coding of the attributes on the template.)
 -  
Prophet
MattgomeryScott wrote:I went for 4 as it's the lowest available, but I'd also consider NO to be a potential choice as he literally had no concept integrity.

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.
I'd argue he had no concept of morality, but I don't think INTEGRITY just represents morality. (Which is a subject of much debate.) NO doesn't feel like a good option, which is why it wasn't included.

-crp

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:
MattgomeryScott wrote:I went for 4 as it's the lowest available, but I'd also consider NO to be a potential choice as he literally had no concept integrity.

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.
I'd argue he had no concept of morality, but I don't think INTEGRITY just represents morality. (Which is a subject of much debate.) NO doesn't feel like a good option, which is why it wasn't included.

-crp
Fair enough.

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Wonkiness abounds either way, but the integrity guidelines in the original post just seem easier to work with (as opposed to measuring one's level of consistency, or taking into account each affiliation's own take on it). Possibly less likely for the attribute to be argued up or down into unexpected places? It might be interesting to see how various guidelines pass muster with cards that check for integrity, but I can picture my ensuing confusion already, so I'll pass on that.
DarkSabre wrote:Also he shouldn't be able to be hit by firestorm
I like your thinking! :cheersL:

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
This is the whole Dorian Collins again.

I gave him 8 because he was determined in his project no matter what costs to figure out the good vs evil concept. He wasnt persuaded by anything, so I think in essence, his morality is high. Just bc YOU dont agree with him, doesnt mean his morals are wrong. You cant judge an alien race on your own principles.

~D

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.