This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
1E Academy: A series of posts/articles/videos/live streams in which members of the community teach fundamentals of 1E.
I can't shake the feeling that if we are doing other things instead of this, then we are giving up on attracting new players to the game.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Prophet
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
KazonPADD wrote:1E Academy - definitely what we SHOULD be doing.
+1

What we all should be doing for both games. :twocents:

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Returning player here.

The lack of video content here is disappointing. :?

I thought for sure after all these years of making virtual sets and running tournaments there would be some videos of examples of how to play the game even if it was just a few of the top players at tournaments being filmed for their championship bout.

To try to be helpful to this discussion about building an academy this is what I would like to see.

1 - How does the format work?
- How is it structured?
- What is the effect of the bannings and errata on the game (how does it make it more fair and enjoyable)
- What cards are legal and how to print virtual cards / decklists

2 - The cards
- How and when cards can be played
- What cards you should be looking for to be competitive
- Warnings of cards that might be complex and where to find additional rules

3 - Starting the game
- What counts as a seed and what doesn't?
- What gives you a free download and where to download it from
- What sort of stuff should you be looking to start the game with

4 - Playing the game
- To me this should be the easiest part. You can watch a simple tutorial game and follow it as you go. If you have all of 1,2 and 3 cleared up to a relative degree it should be fairly smooth.
- Dilemma interaction and resolution
- Battles (ship or personal)

5- Borg :borg:
Just Borg, everything to do with Borg seems complex. Perhaps easy for somebody that has played a heap of games with Borg or against Borg but somebody looking in from the outside with minimal knowledge to me it is just a cluster you know what.

I'm a returning player and I'm still very confused by parts 2 and 3 that I've listed. A lot of reading has covered part 1 fairly well and I don't think 5 is as important at the stage I'm at. Playing the game is the easy part. Anybody can play a game of premiere. Alpha quadrant, no objectives, no downloads, simple. It's all the extra stuff that seems to be an absolute staple of modern OTF tournament play that feels a bit daunting.

I can read rules. Assimilating a metagame through decklists I cannot. :shifty:
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Spectre9 wrote:I can read rules. Assimilating a metagame through decklists I cannot. :shifty:
This sentence is so important, I'm going to cross-stitch it on a pillow.

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Spectre9 wrote:I can read rules. Assimilating a metagame through decklists I cannot. :shifty:
Pictures are required
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I actually don't know how to cross-stitch (YET!!), so this will probably take a while.

My guess is it'll be done right after the article I was supposed to write on [22] Romulans and (pre-errata) Temporal Benefactor.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote:
There have probably been a half a dozen attempts or more over the years to get videos up on the site and they have all fizzled for one reason or another. Anyone who wants to help make videos should PM our Director of Communications, OKCoyote. He was looking for people who are up late Eastern Daylight Time (-4:00 GMT right now) and would want to play and record videos.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Spectre9 wrote:Returning player here.
The lack of video content here is disappointing. :?

I thought for sure after all these years of making virtual sets and running tournaments there would be some videos of examples of how to play the game even if it was just a few of the top players at tournaments being filmed for their championship bout.

To try to be helpful to this discussion about building an academy this is what I would like to see.

1 - How does the format work?
- How is it structured?
- What is the effect of the bannings and errata on the game (how does it make it more fair and enjoyable)
- What cards are legal and how to print virtual cards / decklists

2 - The cards
- How and when cards can be played
- What cards you should be looking for to be competitive
- Warnings of cards that might be complex and where to find additional rules

3 - Starting the game
- What counts as a seed and what doesn't?
- What gives you a free download and where to download it from
- What sort of stuff should you be looking to start the game with

4 - Playing the game
- To me this should be the easiest part. You can watch a simple tutorial game and follow it as you go. If you have all of 1,2 and 3 cleared up to a relative degree it should be fairly smooth.
- Dilemma interaction and resolution
- Battles (ship or personal)

5- Borg :borg:
Just Borg,
everything to do with Borg seems complex. Perhaps easy for somebody that has played a heap of games with Borg or against Borg but somebody looking in from the outside with minimal knowledge to me it is just a cluster you know what.
I'm a returning player and I'm still very confused by parts 2 and 3 that I've listed. A lot of reading has covered part 1 fairly well and I don't think 5 is as important at the stage I'm at. Playing the game is the easy part. Anybody can play a game of premiere. Alpha quadrant, no objectives, no downloads, simple. It's all the extra stuff that seems to be an absolute staple of modern OTF tournament play that feels a bit daunting.

I can read rules. Assimilating a metagame through decklists I cannot. :shifty:
Hi, Spectre.
This topic (about 2e) points out some interesting (1e) PowerPoint presentations here. They've been mentioned here on the board too, at times.

I actually only studied the [Bor] presentation. It is a little over 30 slides, but since there is little text on each and they are like frames in a film (often only 1 small thing changes) you go through them quickly.

Viewing it helped me a lot to get on Borged board with the [Bor] .

Parhaps the other presentations and/or resources can also help you. They've been promoted here on the board too, at times.

And there's this resourceful topic, too -- but it's very comprehensive(?). (I mean, it's very densely packed with in-detail resources. Perhaps a later go-to place.)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
But, to get back on topic.
MidnightLich wrote:1E Academy: A series of posts/articles/videos/live streams in which members of the community teach fundamentals of 1E.
This might be most suitable for me and mine -- provided that it starts at a basic level. (And I mean basic. :D )

E.g., I have 1 friend who is really into Magic, so he's good with CCGs. However, he's not one for reading whole rulebooks (the new one of which is great, BTW). And I have a hard time keeping him with me on STCCG. So, smaller bits-&-pieces about gameplay and strategy might help there.

But, to be fair to y'all, there is so much documentation already (see previous post -- the Very Short Introduction, the PowerPoint presentations, new rulebux). So, I feel I should point out for your sake (although I would love to see anything new) that it would only be worth the time & effort you put into it, when it brings something new to the table. I.e., a different way of introducing people to the basics of the game.

Thinking out loud here, the above resources perhaps do not touch too much on (beginners') strategy and tactics yet? So there might be a 'market' there?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Suden Kapala wrote:But, to get back on topic.
MidnightLich wrote:1E Academy: A series of posts/articles/videos/live streams in which members of the community teach fundamentals of 1E.
This might be most suitable for me and mine -- provided that it starts at a basic level.
(And I mean basic. :D )

E.g., I have 1 friend who is really into Magic, so he's good with CCGs. However, he's not one for reading whole rulebooks (the new one of which is great, BTW). And I have a hard time keeping him with me on STCCG. So, smaller bits-&-pieces about gameplay and strategy might help there.

But, to be fair to y'all, there is so much documentation already (see previous post -- the Very Short Introduction, the PowerPoint presentations, new rulebux). So, I feel I should point out for your sake (although I would love to see anything new) that it would only be worth the time & effort you put into it, when it brings something new to the table. I.e., a different way of introducing people to the basics of the game.

Thinking out loud here, the above resources perhaps do not touch too much on (beginners') strategy and tactics yet? So there might be a 'market' there?
To elaborate, I've played very casually, so far. I think know a lot about and of the (individual) cards. But I have a hard time getting up to a more competitive level. This is due to the defects in my brain, no doubt, on one hand :P ; but it's also due to the complexity of the game and its intricate mechanics working together in certain ways (like 'play' and 'draw engines' etc.) that are not obvious to new players.

The new rulebook touches on some of these things already. I could use more coaching from there, in those fields.

By mrpurple
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:
1E Academy: A series of posts/articles/videos/live streams in which members of the community teach fundamentals of 1E.
As someone new to the game and looking to learn some of the more advanced rules and strategy, this would be great. I went on YouTube last night looking for videos on game play and what I found wasn't great :( Unless I am missing something!
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
mrpurple wrote:
MidnightLich wrote:
As someone new to the game and looking to learn some of the more advanced rules and strategy, this would be great. I went on YouTube last night looking for videos on game play and what I found wasn't great :( Unless I am missing something!
We haven't had much luck getting regular YouTube content put together, but I haven't given up.
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
Regarding YouTube content, I am a big fan of the way Wreck N Rule show gameplay for the Transformers TCG game. Simple but very effective (and entertaining) set-up. Three cameras: one large overhead shot and then two smaller windows showing the faces of the players (so important - truly, otherwise I get bored staring at an unmoving card table).

Worth checking out for inspiration, if you're inclined to want to work on YouTube STCCG content.

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Where are the largest STCCG communities?

I would assume somewhere in continental Northern America.

There are a lot of local game stores that already have the equipment to record and stream games of Magic the Gathering (sorry if a dirty word in these parts). Perhaps it is possible to borrow some equipment that has already been set up.

The worst part of trying to video card gaming always will be glare off the sleeves preventing the cards being seen clearly. If equipment has already been calibrated for this then it goes a long way towards getting some video content.

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.