This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Neelix (Scott Baughman)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
  Trek Masters 2E Champion 2024
Hey gang! Just getting my feet wet again with 1E and I'd like to try some Ferengi again! How are they in OTF Complete right now? Any good deck ideas or combos running around these days? Am I still good slinging Latinum around?

Sent from my P10 using Tapatalk

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Your best play for a competitive deck is [1E-TNG] [Fer] with Continuing Mission, Attention All Hands, and Ferengi Military Operations.

Unfortunately the Ferengi didn't get much love in the DS9 block era. There's some [1E-DS9] cards that I can't remember the name of but they're not great.

If you really want to sling the latinum around, you may be able to go with a no-property logo old school [Fer] deck. It's fun to play at least.

Unfortunately the little orange guys just don't appear to be tier one these days. :?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I regret to say that Ferengi right now are arguably the worst OTF Complete affiliation.

I can't remember the last time anyone in the world won a tournament with them without using cards that are currently banned.

They've got three obvious potential builds: Where Opportunities Are Made, Ferengi Military Operations, and Smuggler's Rendezvous with the [22] Ferengi and either [NA] supplements or a combo with the Ferengi homeworld. (Or both!)

Of the three, I think the last is the most promising.

WOAM is okay on paper (just okay) but profoundly fragile and slow in practice. I consider it the worst of the three.

FMO has nothing to recommend it versus the other TNG cards now that it's been nerfed, and Ferengi struggle with the Attention All Hands nerf as well. But it still plays like a TNG deck, and it can solve stuff pretty good if you play your cards right.

Smuggler's looks good on paper and little-tried in practice. There's a bunch of potential stacking available to it, and you can exploit Unrelenting Lust and Ferengi Gas Trap for fun and profit. So it might be good. Or I might be underestimating its weaknesses because I haven't played it and (as far as I can tell) only one or two people have tried it.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:They've got three obvious potential builds: Where Opportunities Are Made, Ferengi Military Operations, and Smuggler's Rendezvous with the [22] Ferengi and either [NA] supplements or a combo with the Ferengi homeworld. (Or both!)
If I were to build a competitive Ferengi deck (I'm not), I'd probably go Tower of Commerce + NA play engines like Son'a/Bak'u etc.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Hadn't really considered [22] ferengi. Could be interesting.
I may have to add that to my to-build list...
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
[TNG] Ferengi get, in my opinion, a very fun card in Project Delenn.

-crp

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:I regret to say that Ferengi right now are arguably the worst OTF Complete affiliation.

I can't remember the last time anyone in the world won a tournament with them without using cards that are currently banned.

They've got three obvious potential builds: Where Opportunities Are Made, Ferengi Military Operations, and Smuggler's Rendezvous with the [22] Ferengi and either [NA] supplements or a combo with the Ferengi homeworld. (Or both!)

WOAM is okay on paper (just okay) but profoundly fragile and slow in practice. I consider it the worst of the three.

FMO has nothing to recommend it versus the other TNG cards now that it's been nerfed, and Ferengi struggle with the Attention All Hands nerf as well. But it still plays like a TNG deck, and it can solve stuff pretty good if you play your cards right.

Smuggler's looks good on paper and little-tried in practice. There's a bunch of potential stacking available to it, and you can exploit Unrelenting Lust and Ferengi Gas Trap for fun and profit. So it might be good. Or I might be underestimating its weaknesses because I haven't played it and (as far as I can tell) only one or two people have tried it.

https://www.trekcc.org/tournament/index ... ckID=14245

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Mogor wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:I regret to say that Ferengi right now are arguably the worst OTF Complete affiliation.

https://www.trekcc.org/tournament/index ... ckID=14245
Yup. Looks like a Continuing Mission deck. Those can win.

Though the fact that you had to go back to the Obama administration to find a winning ferengi deck kind of underscores the larger point that they aren't particularly competitive these days, no? :wink:

I do like that capture tech though. This looks like a fun deck to play. Props to Lattrell for building and winning with an innovative deck. :thumbsup:
 -  
Community Contributor
Mogor wrote:https://www.trekcc.org/tournament/index ... ckID=14245
Enjoy your kudos for digging that one out of the archives, Mogor. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And Neelix? Here's a playable Ferengi deck for ya!

By Neelix (Scott Baughman)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
  Trek Masters 2E Champion 2024
Looks like fun!

Sent from my P10 using Tapatalk

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Brunt's Shuttle, Ferengi Conference, Study Divergent History and New Arrivals. With Brunt's Shuttle you will even be able any quadrant-NAs.
 -  
Community Contributor
geraldkw wrote:I want this card to work Assemble Rescue Team.
Somehow, this card has been out for three years and nobody has tried to build a deck with all the cards from "The Magnificent Ferengi."

I wonder what would happen if somebody tried. Maybe it's good! We'd never know!

Jared Hoffman FW Mathew McCalpin 100-12

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't comma[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon arr[…]

solved, thanks :thumbsup: