This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Which lore should appear on Excalbia?

Excalbia: Make contact with rock-based life-form first encountered in the 23rd century.
60%
Excalbia: Participate in sociological experiment, first initiated in the 23rd century.
40%
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hello! There wasn't a lore that was a favorite of the majority, so we're heading to a runoff between the top two choices. Here they are, for your reference:
Excalbia: Make contact with rock-based life-form first encountered in the 23rd century.
Excalbia: Participate in sociological experiment, first initiated in the 23rd century.
Your job is to vote for one of these options before the polls close on Thursday, February 28th. You can change your vote at any time before then, so use your replies to argue for your favorite choice. After the polls close, the lore with the most votes will be declared the winner. In the rare case of a tie, the winner will be determined randomly.

Good luck and have fun! Once we've picked the lore, you'll get to pick the images - prepared by Art Team member Tim - for the mission!

-crp

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
I think we've got the best two options here. Of the two, I prefer "Make contact with rock-based life-form" because I feel it fits the requirements better.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
GooeyChewie wrote:I think we've got the best two options here. Of the two, I prefer "Make contact with rock-based life-form" because I feel it fits the requirements better.
Sorry, can you explain this?

I don't understand how having a bunch of honorable people (and no treachery) or having a bunch of treacherous people (and no honor) fits the mission of "making contact with rock-based life-forms."

That seems a lot more in line with the "sociological experiment" of the other mission lore.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
frakkingoff wrote:
GooeyChewie wrote:I think we've got the best two options here. Of the two, I prefer "Make contact with rock-based life-form" because I feel it fits the requirements better.
Sorry, can you explain this?

I don't understand how having a bunch of honorable people (and no treachery) or having a bunch of treacherous people (and no honor) fits the mission of "making contact with rock-based life-forms."

That seems a lot more in line with the "sociological experiment" of the other mission lore.
Agreed!

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
frakkingoff wrote:Sorry, can you explain this?

If you prove you belong to the stronger side (and the player essentially gets to determine which side that is), the Excalbians will talk with you. Either that, or tell them you don't pick sides but you know they're alive because Geology x4.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
okay... I don't usually interject my thoughts into the voting process no matter what side i'm on...... but i don't get what people are seeing in the "make contact with rock based lifeforms" option. What flavor, either from the episode or the mission requirements we debated for days, are you getting from that option? Other than a vague reference to Yarnek's biology, I know absolutely nothing about what went on on this planet or why the mission requirements are the way they are.

since this was the only option that didn't feature some sort of reference to experiments in good/evil, i kind of expected all the other votes that were dispersed among the other options to coalesce around option #2 and that would win.

So consider this my impassioned plea for option #2

:cheersL:
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:but i don't get what people are seeing in the "make contact with rock based lifeforms" option.
I voted for it both times because it is the option that makes the "23rd century" reference sound the least awkward. None of the arguments against it seem particularly strong (to me anyways) either. Contact doesn't always require Diplomacy - the Excalbians certainly didn't seem to value it. Kirk didn't intend to participate in a sociological experiment either, that's not what brought him to the mission, the experiment was foisted upon him once he began the mission attempt.

Basically, I imagine modern day crews just going to Excalbia to make contact, and then being forced to participate just like Kirk. They might bring Diplomacy, it's just that it doesn't end up being required by the mission.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Also, I imagine they haven't been running the same experiment for an entire century. It's probably Splatfest-style. Kirk's week was "Good vs. Evil", when the Ferengi stopped by it was "Cash vs. Credit"...

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
"Sociological experiment" gets my vote, because I think it fits the mission more and because it's more interesting sounding and unique. I mean the other one could just as easily be contacting the Horta, or any other rock based life form from TOS.

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
The sociological experiment one was one of the clunkier options on the board and one of my least favorite.

The other option was fine. Nothing great or special, but fine.

Since neither of the two I actually voted for made the cut, I voted for the fine option as the least bad alternative.

Feels like most of the elections I've voted in, actually... :P

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
For me it's been all about getting "23rd Century" into the text int he least awkward way possible...

The sacred cow in 1E for me is: Not Oversimplifiyi[…]

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And just to add to the overall discussion, coming […]

MN 2024 Gatherings

28th it is. 1E Event is up: https://www.trekcc.or[…]