This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hello folks! Yarnek has skills, attributes, and icons, so it's time to work on his lore. It's your job to decide which characteristics you want to include, and write lore to match. Lore submissions for Yarnek are official open!

Because you weren't satisfied with not getting to draft lore in last year's Will of the Collective, we made the decision to allow you to do so for the mission and the personnel. Now that we've got lore for Excalbia, we're going to do the same for Yarnek, and opening lore submissions to all of you. Think of yourselves as freelancers for the Creative Team; you'll write lore, and they will curate your submissions and choose some to advance to a vote. Paddy and his team work in mysterious ways involving, so I can't speak to their process; if you have questions, I'm sure he will answer.

In any case, your job this week is to write lore for our personnel. As a general rule, we try to include both a personnel's species and their gender in the lore. In this particular case, Yarnek's lore also needs to mention the planet "Excalbia." There should be three-full lines for lore, so here is a rough guide for how much space you have:
Example Lore Length wrote:Violent, unstable pianist embodied in the human Benjamin Sisko during Jadzia Dax's zhian'tara. By 2286, he had murdered a total of three people.
If your lore isn't that length or less, give or take a wide character or two, it will likely either not be advanced to the vote or edited so it will fit. Outside of length, there is only one requirement for your submission:

1. Your lore must contain the planet "Excalbia" in that context. This was a requirement the community accepted in order to get the chance to make two cards. You can determine how the planet's name is used, but it has to be used in term of the planet itself. And it has to be "Excalbia" - variants such as "Excalbian" can be there too, but don't count as a planet reference.

Other than this requirement, you're free to be as creative and wild as you like. You can use this opportunity to give Yarnek characteristics, if you like - maybe he's the chairman of a stamp collecting club. Of course, those will need to survive curation!

Each of you will be allowed to submit one (1) lore for consideration by the Creative Team. Submissions will be open through Saturday, March 2nd. At that point, the Creative Team will comb through them while vote on Yarnek's image options, and bring back choices for us to vote on after that vote. This means that, unlike previous challenges, there will be a delay between nominations and votes.

So, in summary:

- You may nominate one (1) lore submission by replying to this thread.
- The submissions must include a reference to the planet "Excalbia".
- Popularity isn't a factor in nominations, so repeating a previous nomination as-is won't help.
- From the list of nominations, a maximum of fifteen (15) options will be offered for a vote, as curated by the Creative Team.

Have fun, and let us know if there are any questions!

-crp

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Excalbian scientist and playwright encountered on Excalbia by the crew of the Starship Enterprise, who put them into a morality play.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
KazonPADD wrote:Conscripting people to do Improv.... not a playwright!
Nob is pulling some trivia from the first draft of the script.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Scientific researcher seeking to learn more about good and evil through morality plays. Considered by some to be the hottest producer on Excalbia.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Yup, mentioned it back here: viewtopic.php?p=453140#p453140

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Good lore and flavor text avoids using the same word twice (Excalbia, play, etc.), so as not to sound clunky.

"Non-humanoid sociologist conducting inquiry into good and evil on his home planet Excalbia. Cast his research subjects into morality plays."

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:
I think his complaint wasn't that the script called him a playwright, it was that he's not much of a playwright. He never actually handed out scripts, just put them in a situation and made them "yes, and" their way through the scene. Less of a playwright, and more of a shitty improv director.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Maelwys wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:
I think his complaint wasn't that the script called him a playwright, it was that he's not much of a playwright. He never actually handed out scripts, just put them in a situation and made them "yes, and" their way through the scene. Less of a playwright, and more of a shitty improv director.
Could be a Truman Show type thing? No way to know if the historicals had a script or not. What was this episode if not a cautionary tale about reality television?
 -  
Community Contributor
Excalbian from Excalbia. Thought he would rock as a playwright. Believes in experimental morality rather than farcical aquatic ceremony.
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:
Excalbian from Excalbia. Thought he would rock as a playwright. Believes in experimental morality rather than farcical aquatic ceremony.
You're a monster but if I'm honest with myself I'm probably going to end up voting for this.
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:
AllenGould wrote:
You're a monster but if I'm honest with myself I'm probably going to end up voting for this.
Consider it a PSA for "Creative does hard work and deserves more credit than they get."

(Also, my anti-application for Creative :D )

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
23rd Century Excalbian. Wove a tangled web to deceive the Starship Enterprise crew, tricking them into participating in his morality play. Known as "The Bard of Excalbia".

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]