This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Which image should be used on the mission?

Option A - Straight from the HD Remaster
20%
Option B - Rotated Point of View #1
29%
Option C - Rotated Point of View #2
51%
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hello,

Excalbia is almost done - we've got final lore, affiliations, requirements, points, and span. All that's left is to pick an image and give the mission an appropriate title. You guys have time to brainstorm titles, because it's time to pick the mission image. Tim Davidson (timo), a hard working Art volunteer, has prepared three options* for your consideration. Your job is to pick the image you want to appear on the mission.

Here are the three options on the table:
Straight from the HD Remaster wrote:Option A - Straight from the HD Remaster
Rotated Point of View #1 wrote:Option B - Rotated Point of View #1
Rotated Point of View #2 wrote:Option C - Rotated Point of View #2
Your job now is to vote on the image that you want to see on the final Excalbia mission. You'll be able to vote for one (1) of the options above, and the vote will be open through Saturday, March 2nd. You can change your vote at any time up until the poll closes.

Then, if we don't have an image that's a clear winner, there will be a runoff vote posted after this poll closes. A runoff will be triggered if the top two choices are tied, or if their combined total number of votes is less than half the total number of votes. Otherwise, there won't be a runoff vote and the winner will move on to the next step. If we do have a runoff vote, it will be a quick, 24-hour poll. So vote, then feel free to reply to this thread with your votes and try to sway others to your side!

Happy voting!

-crp

*If you were hoping to have the opportunity to submit images, we're sorry. The nature of image work is very fickly, so we've asked the Art team to submit options instead. If you would like to help make art for future cards, we encourage you to email Art Director Johnny Holeva at jjh AT san DOT rr DOT com.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I thought the Remaster looked amazing, but then I saw option #2 and my jaw dropped.

Regardless of what wins, niiiiiiiice work, Timo.

EDIT: There was an image mixup and the lava planet moved from option #2 to option #1, but the sun planet is gorgeous, too. I voted for the lava planet.
 -  
Prophet
Mogor wrote:Love option 1, but to be honest they all are good, and there really hasn't been a bad art card in a long time
Our Art Team is incredible. And you're right, there isn't a bad choice there.

-crp
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Hang on. I'm looking at the images closely now and I think the first and second are duplicates. Is this supposed to be one of the options instead? https://www.trekcc.org/1e/preview_excalbia3.jpg

Easy mistake to make and there haven't been many votes in the poll yet.
 -  
Prophet
BCSWowbagger wrote:Hang on. I'm looking at the images closely now and I think the first and second are duplicates. Is this supposed to be one of the options instead? https://www.trekcc.org/1e/preview_excalbia3.jpg

Easy mistake to make and there haven't been many votes in the poll yet.
OOPS. Dang it. I've fixed the links in the top post. It should be a lava planet, a super glow-y lava planet, and a lava planet with a sun.

-crp

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks Timo!

I like all of these, option three really gives me a TNG opening credits vibe...

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
All of the image options are gorgeous ... kudos again to the art department.

The problem with image #2 (the "super-glowy lava planet) is that (IMO) the gaseous traces shown here are (astronomy nerd alert) not realistic. Planets in both the original and remastered version of TOS - as well as TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise - had the realistic atmosphere depiction of a spherical shell surrounding the planet.

Image #2, while stunning, is not even close to being accurate and leans a whole lot more towards the Abrams movies / Discovery depictions.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Klauser wrote:All of the image options are gorgeous ... kudos again to the art department.

The problem with image #2 (the "super-glowy lava planet) is that (IMO) the gaseous traces shown here are (astronomy nerd alert) not realistic. Planets in both the original and remastered version of TOS - as well as TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise - had the realistic atmosphere depiction of a spherical shell surrounding the planet.

Image #2, while stunning, is not even close to being accurate and leans a whole lot more towards the Abrams movies / Discovery depictions.
Good point. Vote switched to A.

All the best,

Mattgomery Scott.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I'm voting for Option C.

It looks like a planet, as opposed to a star.

Certainly the most like a planet that would feature both a resort AND open spaces and breathable air for Kirk and co. to have walked on, featuring trees and plant growth (as featured in the original episode).

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]