This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Which version of Yarnek should be finalized?

Option 1 (Small special skill over two lines)
12%
Option 2 (Small special skill on one line)
21%
Option 3 (Special skill first, small skills on 2nd line)
67%
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hello folks!

We have one final vote for you, and that involves getting final approval on the personnel we've created - Yarnek. We've uploaded the Final Art Proof as a PDF for you to examine, so you can zoom in and inspect the card to make sure it's what you wanted. But, unlike the mission, you'll notice there are three options for Yarnek. Here is what Art Director Johnny Holeva (jjh) had to say:
jjh wrote:That's a lot of text jammed onto a two line personnel. Very Holodeck Adventure-ish. (Design-wise, Decipher would have given him one less skill, with that ability) Three versions attached to consider. I think Version 3 follows the most precedent, but obviously re-arranges the Skill order. Lmk.
Options #1 and #2 keep the skill order which won the vote. Option #1 squishes the special skill slightly, and splits it across two lines. Option #2 squishes the special skill quite a bit, but fits it all on a single line.

Option #3 changes the skill order so that the special skill is first, at full size; then, the skills are after and are slightly shrunk down to fit.

Please take a look, and then decide how you would like to proceed. We are not going to go back and change skills, so that is not presented as an option; nor are we going to change to a three line template. The only potential change we will consider here is changing the skill order, and then, only if a majority of you ask for that change.

You can change your vote any time before polls close on Friday, March 22nd.

-crp
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
ADTJ: Always Defer To Johnny

Voted #3.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:ADTJ: Always Defer To Johnny

Voted #3.
:thumbsup:

Especially when there's no compelling reason to go with an uglier version.
 -  
Prophet
AllenGould wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:ADTJ: Always Defer To Johnny

Voted #3.
:thumbsup:

Especially when there's no compelling reason to go with an uglier version.
There is: the will of the collective was to have skills before special skill.

-crp

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
2 keeps the WotC intent and reads just fine to me.

It gets my vote.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Armus wrote:2 keeps the WotC intent and reads just fine to me.

It gets my vote.
Looking at the voting threads there didn't seem to be any strong feelings for any option, half of the posts were about whether he should even have Empathy and a couple mentioned they think it should come down to Art any way. So I went with 3, looks better.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Latok wrote:Looking at the voting threads there didn't seem to be any strong feelings for any option, half of the posts were about whether he should even have Empathy and a couple mentioned they think it should come down to Art any way. So I went with 3, looks better.
Totally agreed.
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote:
AllenGould wrote: Especially when there's no compelling reason to go with an uglier version.
There is: the will of the collective was to have skills before special skill.

-crp
True, but this strikes me as a good designer lesson - other departments are experts in their realms, so it's important to respect that that expertise.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Is "battle restrictions" correct? I always thought it was "attack restrictions"

*shrug*
 -  
Prophet
Armus wrote:Is "battle restrictions" correct? I always thought it was "attack restrictions"

*shrug*
I meant to highlight this, but forgot, so thank you for asking. Yes, "battle restrictions" is the correct term, and the Rules Team specifically asked for this change. It is functionally identical to the original intent of the gametext.

I am 100% backwards on this. "Battle restrictions" was submitted and is incorrect; it should be "attack restrictions." I've updated the card in our software and will make sure this is fixed before we finalize.

EDIT: In fact, the correct text should be: "Away Teams present on planet have no affiliation attack restrictions."

-crp

By karonofborg13 (Matthew Hayes)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Armus wrote:2 keeps the WotC intent and reads just fine to me.

It gets my vote.

I wholeheartedly agree with Brian, option 2 reads as the cleanest version possible. Sans clutter.

By jrch5618
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Yeah, but 2 has the smaller font which is aesthetically displeasing. 3 reads the best.

Away Teams present on planet have no affiliation attack restrictions.
Away Teams present on planet may ignore affiliation battle restrictions.

So it's a few characters shorter, the actual text, so #3 might not need any shrinking at all :D

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
MidnightLich wrote:
Armus wrote:Is "battle restrictions" correct? I always thought it was "attack restrictions"

*shrug*
I meant to highlight this, but forgot, so thank you for asking. Yes, "battle restrictions" is the correct term, and the Rules Team specifically asked for this change. It is functionally identical to the original intent of the gametext.

I am 100% backwards on this. "Battle restrictions" was submitted and is incorrect; it should be "attack restrictions." I've updated the card in our software and will make sure this is fixed before we finalize.

EDIT: In fact, the correct text should be: "Away Teams present on planet have no affiliation attack restrictions."

-crp
As the original submitter of the special skill, I based the wording on the triple treaty, which says "ignores affiliation battle restrictions". I now see the Fesarius uses the phrase "attack restrictions". Without doing a glossary deep dive, is there a difference in the two terms, or is the triple treaty just out of date?
Crossover question

I was literally just typing up this question all[…]

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0