This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Which version of Yarnek should be finalized?

Option 1 (Small special skill over two lines)
12%
Option 2 (Small special skill on one line)
21%
Option 3 (Special skill first, small skills on 2nd line)
67%
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Not_always_but_often wrote:As the original submitter of the special skill, I based the wording on the triple treaty, which says "ignores affiliation battle restrictions". I now see the Fesarius uses the phrase "attack restrictions". Without doing a glossary deep dive, is there a difference in the two terms, or is the triple treaty just out of date?
Triple Treaty's just old. It works, but the game overwhelmingly prefers "attack restrictions" and uses that phrase in the Glossary:

https://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?mod ... ns#Results

("Battle restrictions" was only ever used on the Triple Treaty. If the TT ever gets errata for some other reason, they'll probably update that word while they're in there. But it's not worth an errata for just that.)

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
I haven't voted yet, but isn't there something that causes the loss of first listed skill? if that is true, i am torn on whether I want the special skill to be safe from loss or to have it lose-able for tactical purposes.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Several cards remove first-listed skills:

https://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?mod ... ed#Results

(Also Preoccupied, but it doesn't do anything here.)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Professor Scott wrote:I haven't voted yet, but isn't there something that causes the loss of first listed skill? if that is true, i am torn on whether I want the special skill to be safe from loss or to have it lose-able for tactical purposes.
By my count, the following cards effect or refer to the "first listed skill."

"Lose first listed skill"

Invasive Procedures, Tsiolkovsky Infection, Blood Oath, Protection Racket , Watch Dog , Fightin' Words , 1,000 Tribbles

"Doubles first listed skill" (so would likely have no effect.)

Preoccupied

"Replaces first listed skill with Youth." (what would a young Yarnek look like anyway? A pebble! :shifty: )

Rascals

"Targets people with same first listed skill" (so would make Yarnek functionally immune)

The Clown: Playing Doctor

Personally I think this actually offers an interesting check and balance to a quite powerful skill, and also makes for some interesting in play decisions as to how to use Yarnek in mission attempts.

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.

P.S. I went for option 3 because it looks better to me. 1. looks squashed, and 2. has an odd looking gap between Geology and Empathy. Plus as a rule of thumb I'd say it's more important for the special skill to be at full size than easily recognisable skills.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
MattgomeryScott wrote:
Professor Scott wrote:I haven't voted yet, but isn't there something that causes the loss of first listed skill? if that is true, i am torn on whether I want the special skill to be safe from loss or to have it lose-able for tactical purposes.

Invasive Procedures, Tsiolkovsky Infection, Blood Oath, Protection Racket , Watch Dog , Fightin' Words , 1,000 Tribbles

Preoccupied

"Replaces first listed skill with Youth." (what would a young Yarnek look like anyway? A pebble! :shifty: )

Rascals

"Targets people with same first listed skill" (so would make Yarnek functionally immune)

Personally I think this actually offers an interesting check and balance to a quite powerful skill, and also makes for some interesting in play decisions as to how to use Yarnek in mission attempts.

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.

P.S. I went for option 3 because it looks better to me. 1. looks squashed, and 2. has an odd looking gap between Geology and Empathy. Plus as a rule of thumb I'd say it's more important for the special skill to be at full size than easily recognisable skills.
Thanks, I was leaning towards mixing it up.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Professor Scott wrote:
MattgomeryScott wrote:

Preoccupied

Rascals

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.

Thanks, I was leaning towards mixing it up.
Happy to help. Also BCSWowbagger beat me to it with a link to the search results, which in hindsight would have been quicker. :wink:

All the Best,

Mattgomery Scott.
2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Awww, shucks! Glad you’re in a bigger area.[…]

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !