This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Dukat wrote:
Latok wrote:Except the glossary says this about dilemmas:
Dilemmas must be seeded during
the dilemma seed phase.
and those definitely can be downloaded. Maybe there is more information about downloading dilemmas elsewhere but I would argue that what you've presented here is just how missions are normally played and I see nothing actually restricting them from being downloaded.
Dilemmas can be downloaded, but ONLY if the card name is specifically mentioned or the card type dilemma is mentioned.

The same applies to artifacts. Some can be downloaded, because either the card name or at least the card type is mentioned.
But the glossary does say that about artifacts and dilemmas.
An artifact may be downloaded only by a
card that says it downloads artifacts, or that
names a specific artifact.
Downloading Dilemmas: Dilemmas may not
be downloaded into play unless the
downloading card specifically allows it
(generally by allowing the downloaded card
to be used as another card type, such as
interrupt or event).
You are then inferring that the same type of rule would apply to missions, where is that in the glossary?

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
This doesn't work, and it's already been explained why.

I believe the current position of the Rules team is that card types must state how they are played (e.g. "Playing an Objective card uses your normal card play.") If they don't state how they can be played, then they either cannot be played, or they must be authorized by gametext and/or rule to enter play in a specific way (usually as a different card type). Hence Orderly Mavek downloads Frame of Mind "as an Event" and Urgent Warning downloads [REDACTED] by "putting it [REDACTED] at a [REDACTED] (opponent's choice)".

This position the problem with missions: the rules don't say they can play, and therefore they can't. And it seems consistent with the rules: all the card types that CAN be played (at least, the ones that I checked) specify that they can be played as a normal card play, can report for duty (which has its own set of rules), or can play "at any time".
Somebody rebutted this by mentioning Artifacts. The Glossary accounts for this.
An artifact may be downloaded only by a
card that says it downloads artifacts, or that
names a specific artifact.
That's it. The rules don't say how you can play a mission, so you can't play a mission. They don't say how you can download a mission even though it's not a playable card type, and so you can't.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
I'm thinking of it as you can do stuff unless the glossary says you can't but I suppose it could be that you can't do stuff unless the glossary says you can.

The above artifact and dilemma downloading rules are basically there to say Vic can't download them, there isn't a mission rule though, so...
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Latok wrote:I'm thinking of it as you can do stuff unless the glossary says you can't but I suppose it could be that you can't do stuff unless the glossary says you can.
Am I allowed to squirt you with a water gun whenever you solve a mission? Rules don't say I can't... ;)
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
Latok wrote:I'm thinking of it as you can do stuff unless the glossary says you can't but I suppose it could be that you can't do stuff unless the glossary says you can.
Am I allowed to squirt you with a water gun whenever you solve a mission? Rules don't say I can't... ;)
I think yes, though you're likely to receive a non-glossarized punch in the nose at interrupt speed. [emoji1]

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
AllenGould wrote:
Water?

Spray me with Jager and you get 10 points

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
So obviously the game never intended for missions to be played from your hand, all save one, the Q's Planet, which specifically allows you to stock it in your Q's Tent, and then take it into hand using a played Q's Tent. Where things get weird for me is that there's no game text on Q's Planet about actually being allowed to play the card. It just says "may insert into spaceline", the same game text on a Space card and several other missions at this point.

So why can I play Q's planet from hand, but not Space? They have the same relevant game text.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
Dukat wrote:I quote myself ...
viewtopic.php?p=459499#p459499
You can repeat yourself as many times as you like. Nowhere in what you wrote is there anything that limits missions to only entering play in the seed phase.

Your second argument about "all normal requirements... whether stated in the rules or card's game text" is exactly what allows it. The rules state that a mission's italicized game text are always in effect. So it is always valid that those missions "may insert into spaceline".

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
JeBuS wrote:
You can repeat yourself as many times as you like. Nowhere in what you wrote is there anything that limits missions to only entering play in the seed phase.
It is there.
The Glossary states how they enter play, without any exceptions. Missions without point boxes are mentioned however, but Space cannot be downloaded since it is half a card and a download requires a card, not half a card.

I am sorry, but you sound like a non-jurist. As a jurist (well, to be fair, a former jurist), I see exactly what is stated there: the way missions enter play.

The philosophical question is: do we need to mention ALL possible exceptions in the Glossary to cover anything that is not explicitely mentioned?
That is the question at hand.

Since the artifact issue is mentioned, we can assume an extrapolation covering all other cards.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
Dukat wrote:
JeBuS wrote:
It is there.
The Glossary states how they enter play, without any exceptions. Missions without point boxes are mentioned however, but Space cannot be downloaded since it is half a card and a download requires a card, not half a card.

I am sorry, but you sound like a non-jurist. As a jurist (well, to be fair, a former jurist), I see exactly what is stated there: the way missions enter play.

The philosophical question is: do we need to mention ALL possible exceptions in the Glossary to cover anything that is not explicitely mentioned?
That is the question at hand.

Since the artifact issue is mentioned, we can assume an extrapolation covering all other cards.
That has never been how 1E works. In 1E, it's always been a matter of doing things unless the rules state you can't. The combination of rules allows for special downloads to bring any card into play. The rules for missions allows a "may insert into spaceline" mission to always insert into spaceline. There is no corresponding rule to artifacts or dilemmas which states that missions cannot enter play this way, and as such, they can. This is 1E jank.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Not_always_but_often wrote:So why can I play Q's planet from hand, but not Space? They have the same relevant game text.
You can't (ordinarily) play Q's Planet from hand, in fact. Since it is a Q-Icon card, it follows the rules for Q-Icon cards:
glossary wrote:Q-icon cards – Cards identified by the
special [Q] icon, representing actions of Q or
one of the other Q entities, come into play
only through a special Q-Continuum side
deck
This makes sense, right? The reason Q's Planet can come into play in a weird non-missiony way is because Q's Planet isn't really a mission; it's a Q-icon mission, which means the ordinary Q-icon rules take precedence. You can't seed Q-icon dilemmas under missions but must play them from your Q-Flash, and, in just the same way, you can't seed Q-icon missions but must play them from your Q-Flash.

Q's Planet is then greatly complicated by its weird additional text "may also be stocked in Q's Tent." This text -- and only this text -- allows you to stock Q's Planet outside a Q-Continuum side deck (where Q-icon cards are normally required to be), retrieve it from the Tent, and play it to the table. You wouldn't otherwise be able to do it.

Which means you could not just stock Q's Planet in your deck and play it from your hand.

I get that that is very complicated and silly and makes it very difficult to see the difference when it comes to other mission cards. But rest assured that the bizarreness here is with Q's Planet, not with the other "insert into spaceline" missions. :)
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
you cannot "play" non q-icon missions.
Last edited by pfti on Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The new set isn't tournament legal for tonight's[…]

New Tribbles set Bad Moon

Why has no one confirmed the obvious. [Trob] […]

@Brad are you Brad Snyder? I believe h[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during a […]