This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By tlmirkes (Tim Mirkes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Let's say I have two Klingon leaders on my outpost with an assortment of other non-leader Klingons. I drop my Arbiter of Succession, the two leaders duke it out. Can I drop Klingon Right of Vengeance in the aftermath of the battle and have all those non-leader warriors proceed to beat the tar out of the newly christened Leader of the High Council? Or does the Right assume that the other Klingons in the battle are the only ones "re-attacking," i.e. no one's left to "re-attack" in this case?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I'm going with "probably," but I refuse to do too much research on this until you can tell me why the heck you would want to do that? :P

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I don't think it works because the leader is the only person involved in the battle and thus becomes a separate away team, so there is nobody else present in that away team battle to reattack with.

That's how I'd rule if I had to make a call in a tournament, but I could easily be wrong and if somebody else has a better alternative, I'll happily change my mind.

By tlmirkes (Tim Mirkes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:...why the heck you would want to do that?
The initial plan was to have Korris and Konmel beat on each other while K'nera hangs out on his ship (and Kahlest hangs out on the outpost to ensure that the honorable one wins). One dies, I score 5 points. Then the bystanders beat the winner to death, and I score 5 points. Then I Yell for the death and score 5 points. And my opponent gets the Arbiter points... Oops.

Honestly, it's for a casual play deck in a multiplayer setting where we try to do complicated if not terribly useful themes, so I'm not too worried if it doesn't work. I just couldn't figure out if it did, and thought it'd be worth the ask. I think Armus' explanation makes sense to me. Unless someone can give me good news that this horrible, convoluted idea actually works, I'll go with that.
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:I don't think it works because the leader is the only person involved in the battle and thus becomes a separate away team, so there is nobody else present in that away team battle to reattack with.
This seems persuasive.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Does Arbiter count as a personnel battle proper? Can Ba'el just Phaser Burns her way to the throne?

(I Do Not Take Orders From You! or Smoke Bomb as well)
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:Does Arbiter count as a personnel battle proper? Can Ba'el just Phaser Burns her way to the throne?

It says "battle," so... yeah, I think so.

And, yes, I guess the maybe one of the Sisters of Duras bribed the Arbiter to allow Phaser Burns to decide the outcome. :)

It's a messy, very PAQ-era card, but I think the correct (and coincidentally cleanest) way to interpret it is as initiating a personnel battle.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:I don't think it works because the leader is the only person involved in the battle and thus becomes a separate away team, so there is nobody else present in that away team battle to reattack with.

That's how I'd rule if I had to make a call in a tournament, but I could easily be wrong and if somebody else has a better alternative, I'll happily change my mind.
It's actually simpler - you can only counterattack your opponent. (Glossary: battle). Arbiter gives you an exception from the general "you can only attack your opponent" rule, but it doesn't talk about counterattacks.
 -  
Community Contributor
tlmirkes wrote:
AllenGould wrote:Does Arbiter count as a personnel battle proper? Can Ba'el just Phaser Burns her way to the throne?

What would happen if Toq gets into an Arbiter fight with Duras, and Duras Smoke Bombs out? Does Toq automatically win?
No, the battle is cancelled before a winner is determined. (Same if she used Armbands.) Arbiter then gets discarded without effect. Can't end the Klingon Civil War until the fight is had!

By tlmirkes (Tim Mirkes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote:Can Ba'el...
Can Sisters of Duras take the throne? Arbiter explicitly says "the two strongest Klingon leaders," so what if one of them is the Sisters (STR 8+7) and the other is K'mpec (STR 5)? Technically, the fight would be Lursa against K'mpec, but B'Etor would come along to "help out" too. It'd be thematic as all get out for the Sisters to fight unfairly and even bring in some Phaser Burns. Does the dual personnel card complicate Arbiter selection in any way?

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
tlmirkes wrote:
Can Sisters of Duras take the throne? Arbiter explicitly says "the two strongest Klingon leaders," so what if one of them is the Sisters (STR 8+7) and the other is K'mpec (STR 5)? Technically, the fight would be Lursa against K'mpec, but B'Etor would come along to "help out" too. It'd be thematic as all get out for the Sisters to fight unfairly and even bring in some Phaser Burns. Does the dual personnel card complicate Arbiter selection in any way?
And to build on this, let's say Sons of Mogh are alone on a planet, and Prepare Assault Teams is in play, making Worf a leader. Kurn is already a leader because he has OFFICER. Can I play Arbiter of Succession on them and make them fight each other? It feels like the answer should be no, but I can't find where in the dual-personnel glossary entry would actually stop them from doing so.

By tlmirkes (Tim Mirkes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Not_always_but_often wrote:
tlmirkes wrote:
And to build on this, let's say Sons of Mogh are alone on a planet, and Prepare Assault Teams is in play, making Worf a leader. Kurn is already a leader because he has OFFICER. Can I play Arbiter of Succession on them and make them fight each other? It feels like the answer should be no, but I can't find where in the dual-personnel glossary entry would actually stop them from doing so.
They'd both die when one of them does, but the question is whether one of them would survive long enough to get the Arbiter points and then immediately hand them to your opponent...
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
tlmirkes wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:...why the heck you would want to do that?
The initial plan was to have Korris and Konmel beat on each other while K'nera hangs out on his ship (and Kahlest hangs out on the outpost to ensure that the honorable one wins). One dies, I score 5 points. Then the bystanders beat the winner to death, and I score 5 points. Then I Yell for the death and score 5 points. And my opponent gets the Arbiter points... Oops.

Honestly, it's for a casual play deck in a multiplayer setting where we try to do complicated if not terribly useful themes, so I'm not too worried if it doesn't work. I just couldn't figure out if it did, and thought it'd be worth the ask. I think Armus' explanation makes sense to me. Unless someone can give me good news that this horrible, convoluted idea actually works, I'll go with that.
And here I thought you were cooking up some jank for Regionals. :shifty:
Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Congrats to Mugato for going 4-0 in the tourname[…]

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't com[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon a[…]

Vulcan Observation icons

That's what I thought. I think the card may not b[…]