This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Ladies and gentlemen and non-binary friends, allow me to present to you the finished drafts of Yarnek and Examine Morality:

You can review all of the steps in the process and find links to all of the discussion and voting threads in the WotC VI Master Article. Eventually, we'll move all of the discussion threads to an archive on the Will of the Collective subforum, but they'll remain on the 1E board for now.

What happens now? These cards are going to go into the file for Project Londo, which is the third expansion planned of three in the Original Series block. Londo is being led by James Monsebroten (Orbin) and has a [Kli] [OS] focus, and it's currently in the design stages. This means James and his team have the opportunity to develop further cards from "The Savage Curtain," although they are not obligated to do so. These cards fall to Londo because it gives them the chance to layer additional content atop them, which there wouldn't be if they were pushed into Project G'Kar.

Londo will be going to testing late Summer 2019, for a very late 2019 or early 2020 release. Assuming there are no problems during testing with Yarnek or Examine Morality, they will find a home in that expansion. If there are problems discovered during testing that necessitate a change, we'll come back to you, the community, and let you make informed decisions about the changes. Ultimately, what Will of the Collective does is build the "Version A" of the card. You've given us our marching orders, and the testers and designers will do their best to keep the finished card in line with your votes.

In the meantime, I want your feedback - good, bad, mixed - about the Will of the Collective process itself. We tried to adapt the process based on what we learned last year, and we want to know if we were successful. But in any case, it's still vitally important to look back and see what can be learned from the journey. This thread is for all of you to talk about what you liked and what you didn't like about the process to create our cards, from the first vote (one card or two) to the last (skill order redux). We tried to make WotC6 better than WotC4, and it's up to you to tell us if we've succeed. Your input will help us decide if we'll do this process again, and what form it will take.

I encourage you to tell us what drew you into the process, or what kept you from wanting to participate. What aspects did you really like, and which really rubbed you the wrong way? What would you like to see done differently next time, and what do you want to see kept in place?

Most importantly, I want to thank all of you for your time, energy, and effort. I hope that you've enjoyed making these cards, working together, and building something that will soon be part of First Edition. I love working with you and making this happen, so I hope that you've largely found it to be a positive experience.

-crp
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Nice. Always a joy to see the final cards in print.

WotC certainly improves in every iteration. I made all my complaints about WotC6 known in the relevant threads where I thought the process broke down, so I'll take this space to say that, on the whole, I thought WotC6 was a big success. I think we have two good cards here that are going to be playable and interesting without being dangerous to the game. And they're pretty, too! It took many many man-hours to get there, but so do all decent cards. It's really something to see the community hivemind pare away the whole universe of possibilities to converge on these two ideas. Excalbia could have been so many different things in 1E, but it is this thing now and it always will be, and I think the community did well.

Thanks to you, Charlie, for running it, and to all the volunteers who supported the work in various ways -- especially Timo for those gorgeous shots of the mission. My vote didn't even win that round and I still adore the product. That's how good those shots were.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks for running this!
This seems to run better each time, and I think the critiques and solutions that came up later in the process around run-off votes would be good to implement in the future. I enjoyed the dual card approach as well.

:twocents:
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
I encourage you to tell us what drew you into the process, or what kept you from wanting to participate.
I've never watched the Original Series, not really a failing of the process I know. I did vote on the appearance stuff though.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Latok wrote:
I encourage you to tell us what drew you into the process, or what kept you from wanting to participate.
I've never watched the Original Series, not really a failing of the process I know. I did vote on the appearance stuff though.
I forced myself to watch The Savage Cage for this event. Then I remembered why I lost interest about 12 episodes into my TOS rewatch.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks Charlie and CC for running this. I must say, the cards definitely look great as usual, especially the mission!

I always enjoy folks participation and the debates we have on things. Sometimes they get really funny. I definitely think the best part of this series, was finally being able to do a non-personnel. If we were to do another, I think a ship would be great! (and if we had to include the captain then that's fine too)

I wouldn't also be opposed to the CC design team saying, "Hey, here's a beloved character we haven't done for 1E yet. Let's have the community design it." *cough* ahem...Okona...*cough*

Overall, thanks again for a fun event!

~D
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
HoodieDM wrote:I wouldn't also be opposed to the CC design team saying, "Hey, here's a beloved character we haven't done for 1E yet. Let's have the community design it." *cough* ahem...Okona...*cough*
Wait, I thought you said "beloved."

:P

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I really enjoyed the whole process, and it was interesting to work on something other than hearty a personnel card for Will of the Collective. Ships seem like next logical card type for a WotC, since verbs are a lot more challenging to design.

With that said, one suggestion and one question about the process:

First, the suggestion: for the skills voting, when counting the votes, it seems like it would make more sense group all votes for a single skill type together (So Geology and Geology x2, for example), when determining which skills make the cut, and then select the level of the skill based on which had the most votes. The current system makes it possible so that Geology, for example, could get the most votes overall including votes for Geology and Geology x2, but lose the vote because more people for say, exobiology x1 and empathy x1. A minor thing, and it didn't matter this time, but could matter potentially in a close vote.

Second, the question: Why were the mission names so heavily curated? Were the community names too long, or did they not fit the appropriate style guidelines for mission, or was there some other reason? Knowing why the names were changed would help for future WotC so the community can suggest more appropriate names.

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:
Latok wrote:I've never watched the Original Series, not really a failing of the process I know. I did vote on the appearance stuff though.
I forced myself to watch The Savage Cage for this event. Then I remembered why I lost interest about 12 episodes into my TOS rewatch.
Yet your picture has you wearing a TOS sciences top ... ;-)

I'm old enough to remember watching TOS when it first aired, but saw it repeatedly during the 70s when it was constantly being rerun in syndication - so this is my "Star Trek" touchstone. For my kids, TNG was being aired and starting syndication during their childhoods, so that's "their Star Trek".

So what's "your" Star Trek?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Klauser wrote:
jadziadax8 wrote:
Latok wrote:I've never watched the Original Series, not really a failing of the process I know. I did vote on the appearance stuff though.
Yet your picture has you wearing a TOS sciences top ... ;-)

I'm old enough to remember watching TOS when it first aired, but saw it repeatedly during the 70s when it was constantly being rerun in syndication - so this is my "Star Trek" touchstone. For my kids, TNG was being aired and starting syndication during their childhoods, so that's "their Star Trek".

So what's "your" Star Trek?
Deep Space Nine is my jam. It’s a lot harder to find the late season uniforms for that show. I also really want one of the white dress uniforms from Insurrection. I happened to pick that dress up from a vendor at GenCon one year.

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise

By Klauser
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:Deep Space Nine is my jam. It’s a lot harder to find the late season uniforms for that show. I also really want one of the white dress uniforms from Insurrection. I happened to pick that dress up from a vendor at GenCon one year.

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise
I'm a big fan of both TNG and DS9 - both had some rough spots at the beginning but became must-watch-TV as they matured. I really appreciated DS9's perspective on the Star Trek universe - seeing the relative paradise the Federation provided against life on "the edge" where the rules of paradise don't work as well ... or at all.

I am also impressed that DS9 not only held it's own but thrived through it's two biggest challenges - first the unavoidable comparison with Babylon 5, and Paramount's decision to pivot from Cardassian/Maquis storylines to the Dominion War arc in Season 4.
Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]