This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
It's a new Regional season, and it's time for a new predictions competition. Unlike last year, we're guessing who will be the Most Improved player by rating after the Regional. Just like previous years, the winner will get an Ambassador Foil, guesses need to be made before the day of the event, and non-Regional events during Regional season will be used as a tiebreaker.

https://www.trekcc.org/tournament/index ... ntID=11002
Ferenginar Regional #1: Coquitlam, BC
Last Year's Attendance: 4 Players
Last Year's Winner: Justin Ford
Preregistered This Year: Kenneth Tufts (1903), Michael Van Breemen (1775), Justin Ford (1745)
My Prediction: Justin Ford is not only the defending champion, he has plenty of room for ratings gain. He's my pick for Most Improved.

https://www.trekcc.org/tournament/index ... ntID=10881
San Diego Masters: San Diego, CA
Last Year's Attendance: N/A
Last Year's Winner: N/A
Preregistered This Year: Kris Sonsteby (1871), Johnny Holeva (1694), Thomas Vineberg (1651), Dan Hamman (1615), Nathan W (1583), Violet Edgar (1466), JD_Ashley (1339)
My Prediction: Kris has a significant ratings leg-up on the competition, but looking at sealed ratings he's neck-and-neck with Johnny. Still, I've learned not to bet against Thomas Vineberg after years of doing these predictions.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
After a disappointing finish at Club Manassters MVB comes back with a vengeance. Count on it!

As for the Tin Draft in San Diego, Kris "The Old Pro" Sonsteby brings the gut instinct, but Thomas Vineburg brings the experience in this format. In what should be a fun event filled with all sorts of twists, turns, and Shenanigans, I'm going with TV to come out on top.

So excited that Regional season is back.

CAN. YOU. DIG. IT!

8)

EDIT: I just actually read the new Rules. Interesting....

MVB is a little underrated relative to his ability, and Ken is positioned to be a ratings Pinata if he drops a game to him or Justin. I'll stick with MVB.

As for San Diego, I still think TV will win, but Nasty Nate almost got him at Nationals 6 years ago in this same format (Holy Hell has it been THAT long?! :shock: )

Nate is clearly the upside pick because he knows the format and he doesn't have to win to cash in by this metric, especially if he can pull a move on Kris. I'll take that upside.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Prophet
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
This prediction format is weird. So, we don't care whom wins any more, just whom makes the highest ratings jump? :?

Justin Ford
Thomas Vineberg

I guess.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
This is definitely an intriguing twist on the usual. It ruins my strategy of always picking the player with the highest rating.

I'm going to go with Justin Ford and Dan Hamman.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
LORE wrote:Rumor has it, Mike Harrington will be playing in the 1E tin draft. Adjust your picks accordingly, folks!
For the record, Mike has won 3 of the 5 1e sealed events that he's played in, with a current 1e sealed lifetime rating of 1591.

He's definitely got both long experience and ratings upside and I wouldn't fault anyone for picking him, but I'm personally sticking with Nate for the specific Tin draft experience and even bigger ratings upside.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Congrats to MVB on winning the BC Regional, going 3-0 and gaining +36 ratings points. Justin Ford finished 2nd both in the standings and in ratings gain with +13.

Still waiting for the results of the San Diego Masters event to get entered to see who gained the most ground there.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Closing the loop on week one, big congrats to Dan Hamman for boosting his rating a whopping +69 at San Diego Masters! The way things fell, Dan was the only player in the field to finish in plus territory! :shock:

Despite winning, Kris taking a loss was a big factor, as it caused his overall rating to drop for the event.

This whole pick the ratings winner thing definitely puts an interesting twist on weekly pickem!

I guess we should have done "What can we […]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to another one of my homies, @seve[…]

Jared FW Kris 100-35

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]