This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I just noticed the "what decks were this card used in" info has been updated to back several years instead of 1, and rating stats are shown for each card.

Very cool. I wonder what card produces the highest average ratings increase (something that must be taken with a grain of salt because individual card stats in a CCG can be a product of the player and deck type more than the individual card's power).

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
just for kicks I compared Q's Tent to QT:CW

Q's Tent players averages a 9.2 point rating increase.

QT:CW only 4.9

You can do this quickly by copying and pasting the deck info into an excel spreadsheet and using the average command on the column the rating #s end up in. average(a1:a100) for example.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
It's interesting to see cards fall in and out of fashion. Take The Guardian of Forever: once a major player, now an afterthought. Still a decent card! But perhaps supplanted by more available draw engines like Study Divergent and Process Ore: Mining.

As a note, the new view will get all available decks unless there are more than (I think) 300 of them. If it goes over that limit, it switches to the last two years. If there's more than 1000, it's just the past six months. Reason for this is it took like 30 seconds to load the Dead End page when it had to load all 3000+ public decks Dead End has ever been in!

So basically the most popular 10% of cards have limited history, and the rest have full histories. So go out there now and find the one deck in history to use Doppelganger in OTF Complete! (He finished 5th in a field of 23!)
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Takket wrote:I just noticed the "what decks were this card used in" info has been updated to back several years instead of 1, and rating stats are shown for each card.
Oh, this data is fantastic - and will probably keep me busy far longer than it should.

EDIT: Looks like it's not necessarily "several years," it's just the last X decks the card was used in. More common cards only go back a few months. Still really useful data though.

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
First -- this is great info.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find the "rating change" column particularly useful. I'd rather see:
(He finished 5th in a field of 23!)
 -  
Community Contributor
commdecker wrote:First -- this is great info.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find the "rating change" column particularly useful. I'd rather see:
(He finished 5th in a field of 23!)
Danny agrees with you.

I'm trying to figure out how to achieve that without running up the computational cost so high people start noticing the page loading slowly (it's riiiiiiiight on the edge as it is). The issue here is that the rating, cvp, and final rank are all available in the rows I'm already accessing, but the overall size of the tournament is not. So right now I can give you "5th place" for free, but not whether he was 5/5 or 5/23.

Hoping to figure it out today.

Once I do figure it out, do folks want to keep the ratings change there (in parentheses), or should I just cut it?
 -  
Community Contributor
OKCoyote wrote:EDIT: Looks like it's not necessarily "several years," it's just the last X decks the card was used in. More common cards only go back a few months. Still really useful data though.
The performance issues ended up being more severe than I first thought, and I had to make further adjustments after posting what I did. It's still based on time, not an absolute deck total. (Partly because an absolute deck total would be more computationally expensive because of the way MySQL handles the LIMIT keyword.) Here's the current rulesset, subject to further potential change:
Code: Select all
// "$usecount" is the total number of distinct public decks the card has appeared in since the fall of Rome (9 September 476 AD).

if ($usecount > 1000) {
       $datelimit = $sixmonths;
    }
    else if ($usecount > 300) {
        $datelimit = $twoyears;
    } else {
        $datelimit = $fallofrome;
    }
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Is this the sort of data that can be pre-crunched during downtime?

(Asks the guy who is currently debugging SQL this week.)

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I love that the Fall of Rome is the date we work against when all else fails. Well done. Well done.
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:Is this the sort of data that can be pre-crunched during downtime?

(Asks the guy who is currently debugging SQL this week.)
Only if I want to figure out a nice place to store it all. (And I do not!)

But it's a fair concept.

Maybe we load this asynchronously and allow the user to request more data if they want it. If you want to see every deck Assign Support Personnel has ever been in and you're willing to wait for it, more power to you, as long as nobody else is forced to go with it.

(EDIT: That's more of a weekend project than a do-it-while-my-code-compiles-at-my-real-job project, though.)

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
That's a good solution IMHO.

I guess we should have done "What can we […]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to another one of my homies, @seve[…]

Jared FW Kris 100-35

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]