This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 194 posts

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Enabran wrote:Sure.
Your opponent could be so kind and seed Memory Wipe for you :D
Or you could just play it on your own ship (say, a seeded D'kora?) at ferengi trading post, fly the whole crew over, beam down and play convergence on the mission.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
since i joined the tremendously helpful discord, tons of questions got answered. i recommend joining it, since we also find lackey players there and i need more games under my belt ^^

but 2 questions remain unanswered.

first. how does Armus: Roulette
Armus' boredom and cruelty led to Data pointing his phaser at his crewmates and then himself.
If four personnel (random selection) have CUNNING>30 OR one of them has Leadership and INTEGRITY>7, discard dilemma. Otherwise, one is killed (opponent's choice) and the other selected personnel are "stopped." Mission continues.

actually double?

is it 8 personnal for a total of 60? or still just 4 for 60?, one (or two?) of them have to have 1or2x leadership (combined or each of them)?

really confusing.

second.

when a dilemma damages a shit and battle bridge is in play. it applies 2 damage markers? will it also activate the markers text, like randomly kill one?

thanks guys

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote:since i joined the tremendously helpful discord, tons of questions got answered. i recommend joining it, since we also find lackey players there and i need more games under my belt ^^

first. how does Armus: Roulette
Armus' boredom and cruelty led to Data pointing his phaser at his crewmates and then himself.
If four personnel (random selection) have CUNNING>30 OR one of them has Leadership and INTEGRITY>7, discard dilemma. Otherwise, one is killed (opponent's choice) and the other selected personnel are "stopped." Mission continues.

actually double?

is it 8 personnal for a total of 60? or still just 4 for 60?, one (or two?) of them have to have 1or2x leadership (combined or each of them)?

really confusing.

second.

when a dilemma damages a shit and battle bridge is in play. it applies 2 damage markers? will it also activate the markers text, like randomly kill one?

thanks guys
1. I assume you mean by All-Consuming Evil? This doubles the "effects" of Armus dilemmas, but not the requirements. So if you fail the dilemma, the effect doubles from one personnel killed to two.

2. I assume you mean ship ;) Yes, this is called "default damage" which is defined under Damage in the glossary. Yes, the marker's text is also carried out.

Now I have questions............. I believe if a dilemma says it destroys a ship, like "God", you are supposed to keep applying damage markers until hull is reduced 100%. That being the case, if I have 100 copies of Target Shields in my BBSD, do I keep putting them on the ship until my BBSD is empty because hull never reaches -100%?

Also, if I play auto-destruct sequence on my ship, do I simply discard the ship, place damage markers from my own BBSD, or place them from opponent's BBSD?

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote:since i joined the tremendously helpful discord, tons of questions got answered. i recommend joining it, since we also find lackey players there and i need more games under my belt ^^
One day... one day I will join the Discord and play in Lackey with my digitized Traditional decks. But first, I must finish reading this forum. 8)
Wrong! They are answered below. :D (Oh it's so late, someone stop me from being funny... :D )
first. how does
Armus: Roulette wrote:
Card lore wrote:Armus' boredom and cruelty led to Data pointing his phaser at his crewmates and then himself.
Game text wrote:If four personnel (random selection) have CUNNING>30 OR one of them has Leadership and INTEGRITY>7, discard dilemma. Otherwise, one is killed (opponent's choice) and the other selected personnel are "stopped." Mission continues.
actually double?
(I added embedded quotes to makes heads & tails of it myself, I'm not familiar with that dilemma.)
is it 8 personnal for a total of 60? or still just 4 for 60?, one (or two?) of them have to have 1 or 2x leadership (combined or each of them)?
That depends...
really confusing.
It is at first, but... it's all in the wording of the affecting card. And also, it's in the "Glossy" (Glossary). For instance, it really depends on whether the doubling card only "doubles the effect" or "doubles" (the complete dilemma).
In this case, if only the "effects are doubled", then two personnel die, and for the rest nothing changes. If the dilemma is (completely) "doubled", then all other numbers on the card are doubled. All of them. Good and bad.

I'm not sure of those wordings, but I'm sure other players will help us out -- and there's the Glossy:
Glossy page 26, 'doubling' wrote:doubling –When numerical values, such as attributes or point boxes, are simultaneously modified by a card that adds or subtracts and another card that doubles (or triples) that value, add or subtract first, then multiply.
Okay, that's not much help in verifying my words... But...
Glossy page 22-23, 'dilemmas, doubling' wrote:Suden mumbled a bit and seemed confused, but in fact he was right. This time.
Thx :P No, but really; read the end of page 22 and beginning of page 23. It's there.

So, in case the (whole) "dilemma is doubled" (not just the "effects"), the phrase "one of them has Leadership and INTEGRITY>7" becomes "two of them have Leadership x2 (or 2 Leadership) and INTEGRITY>14. Each or combined? That's a pretty good question -- but I'm fairly sure this is how it reads, and then I interpret it immediately as 'combined'.
second. when a dilemma damages a shit and battle bridge is in play. it applies 2 damage markers?
Yes, and that's called "default damage".
will it also activate the markers text, like randomly kill one?
Yessir.

:D :thumbsup:

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
OK, Q's questions were answered twice, even. :)

I saw Takket's; but did also send in mine, because I saw that we say exactly the same, but in different wordings. (And I come from a more general vantage point; so I also explain stuff you don't need to know... yet. :wink: )

That leaves Takket's questions... for someone else (imma go sleep):
Takket wrote:Now I have questions............. I believe if a dilemma says it destroys a ship, like "God", you are supposed to keep applying damage markers until hull is reduced 100%. That being the case, if I have 100 copies of Target Shields in my BBSD, do I keep putting them on the ship until my BBSD is empty because hull never reaches -100%?

Also, if I play auto-destruct sequence on my ship, do I simply discard the ship, place damage markers from my own BBSD, or place them from opponent's BBSD?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:I believe if a dilemma says it destroys a ship, like "God", you are supposed to keep applying damage markers until hull is reduced 100%.
Nope! If a dilemma damages a ship, and you have a Tactics deck, then you must apply damage markers, because all damage must come from Tactics if you have a Tactics deck. The Tactics you apply could cause the ship to be destroyed depending on how much damage you apply. That's a separate effect from the damage itself.

But if a dilemma simply states that it "destroys" a ship outright, there's no damage markers. The ship simply goes kaput. Everybody dies and is sent to owner's discard pile at once.
Damage placed on your cards always comes from your opponent's Tactic deck (or your opponent's rotation damage marker), not your own, and vice versa. So, in this scenario, you'd just destroy the auto-destructed ship, and any of your ships in the area that are damaged by the auto-destruct shockwave would be damaged by opponent's BBSD (or opponent's rotation damage marker).

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
ok thanks, yeah only doubling the effect makes it much less headache-y

so next question ^^

how are double icon missions are handled. glossary says you need an away team as well as a ship with crew. but are they handled as one team together? like who is approaching the next dilemma first? i guess planet only missions only target the away team, but dual dilamme probably both?

and how does senior staff meeting interact with such missions? only space dilemma are discarded? will you reveal the first dilemma if its a planet one?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hey, you're going at it at warp speed! Great. :)

Did you, mayhap, overlook the continuation of the Glossy's "Dual-Icon Missions" entry (at the top of the left-most column) on page 28? Because it's all there, I reckon. If not -- keep asking. :wink:

And to be really nerdy (which this game is, of course), a slight definitions check: dilemmas in themselves don't "target" an AT of crew. Instead, the dilemma as a whole "affects" an AT or crew.
A dilemma may however, in their game text, "target" more specific parts of that which they affect, like in "Unless CUNNING>132, one personnel with Barbering (your choice) is STRENGTH +20 and gains Cantankerousness". In that bogus example, the target is a personnel with Barbering.
This distinction can be important for some cards and Glossy entries. If the target is not present, e.g., the dilemma is discarded -- which is quite a big thing. (If your gang lacks Empathy, an easy way to still avoid Cardassian Trap if you suspect it's there -- don't send any Unique personnel.)

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote:ok thanks, yeah only doubling the effect makes it much less headache-y

so next question ^^

how are double icon missions are handled. glossary says you need an away team as well as a ship with crew. but are they handled as one team together? like who is approaching the next dilemma first? i guess planet only missions only target the away team, but dual dilamme probably both?

and how does senior staff meeting interact with such missions? only space dilemma are discarded? will you reveal the first dilemma if its a planet one?
This is covered under dual-icon missions in the glossary

"Space dilemmas affect the ship and crew.Planet dilemmas affect the Away Team. Whena Space/Planet dilemma (or a Q-icon card) is encountered, the player attempting themission chooses whether it applies to the crew or to the Away Team."

Check out the card Buried Alive. You can make some nasty combos by turning a planet into a dual icon mission.

Senior Staff Meeting says the first dilemma encountered is discarded, so that is what you do, regardless of its icon. Note that this card is banned in OTF.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
hm ive read the glossary but must have overlooked how dilemma are handled. they are still kinda nightmarish lol. it doesnt actually help that the glossary doesnt use links inside the document so you cant easy search through.

say ive got tusk as away team, rest on ship, now they encounter dualicon dilemma with a random effect. can i still chose to apply on tusk? dilemma gets nullified?

but yeah im trying to catch up as fast as possible and currently deckbuilding, so tons of questions come up lol

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote:hm ive read the glossary but must have overlooked how dilemma are handled. they are still kinda nightmarish lol. it doesnt actually help that the glossary doesnt use links inside the document so you cant easy search through.

say ive got tusk as away team, rest on ship, now they encounter dualicon dilemma with a random effect. can i still chose to apply on tusk? dilemma gets nullified?

but yeah im trying to catch up as fast as possible and currently deckbuilding, so tons of questions come up lol
In the glossary under dilemmas>targets

"If no personnel remain to be targeted by a dilemma just encountered, because you used game text that allows you to remove them, replace that dilemma under the mission (the mission attempt ends). For example, ElimGarak (“May avoid any random selection”) encounters Armus –Skin of Evil. If you chooseto have Elim Garak avoid the random selection, there is no one left to be targeted by Armus, and it is replaced under the mission."

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Enemies of the State

So nothing says my three dissidents have to be compatible. So if I download a dissident from each of three affiliations, my opponent, if they don’t have the Integrity, would have to kill them all one by one, correct? Which they could do by beaming everyone up, beaming a few people down to attack dissident #1, then a few more for #2, etc. is this correct?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:Enemies of the State

So nothing says my three dissidents have to be compatible. So if I download a dissident from each of three affiliations, my opponent, if they don’t have the Integrity, would have to kill them all one by one, correct? Which they could do by beaming everyone up, beaming a few people down to attack dissident #1, then a few more for #2, etc. is this correct?
Correct. If the dissidents are incompatible, they form separate Away Teams. Each must then be confronted by your own separate Away Teams.

This is usually easier than facing them as a group.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
interesting card. if you get quark with the dilemma can he dl the 4th one before resolution? when will they be able to engage personal battle?

also: Female's Love Interest & Garbage Scow. what happens if the only away team member was a female?

@Brad are you Brad Snyder?

That is intended. A cure dilemma ALWAYS has its ef[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during a di[…]

Capturing Related

Thank you for the explanation. It's speculative, b[…]