This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 194 posts

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hey, hope this is the right place. Coming back to 1E after not playing for like 20years, I try to figure the updated rules, but not sure about some things. Back in the day I only played up to AU, so all the side deck rules are unknown to me :o

So, how actually does Q-Tent deck work. I understand that you can download cards from it, but is there a way to just naturally draw cards from there? Ive looked through quite some decks and noticed some run Ships in the sidedeck, but I cant figure how the get them into play.

Second Question. Multiaffilation cards, do they only count as their first mode? There is a mission where you need 4 VIP from different affilations, so can you use multiaff. personnel? Ive encountered a deck that run those, but I couldnt find the rules for it. In my understanding they only count as their selected affilation, so you would need a treaty to get 4 different ones?

3rd one: About Personas. I kinda guess cards only count as personas, when their name is written in the Lore text, but what about cards that dont have it, but are still kinda personas. Like Beverly Crusher and Beverly Picard?

Thanks so far. Currently trying to build a deck from my collection and convince a friend to play with me :D
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
Ensign Q wrote:Hey, hope this is the right place. Coming back to 1E after not playing for like 20years, I try to figure the updated rules, but not sure about some things. Back in the day I only played up to AU, so all the side deck rules are unknown to me :o

So, how actually does Q-Tent deck work. I understand that you can download cards from it, but is there a way to just naturally draw cards from there? Ive looked through quite some decks and noticed some run Ships in the sidedeck, but I cant figure how the get them into play.
You can either download or play a q's tent from hand to get them out (the second option doesnt work if you play the Civil war version of the tent.
Second Question. Multiaffilation cards, do they only count as their first mode? There is a mission where you need 4 VIP from different affilations, so can you use multiaff. personnel? Ive encountered a deck that run those, but I couldnt find the rules for it. In my understanding they only count as their selected affilation, so you would need a treaty to get 4 different ones?
They can be any of them, but they can only be one at a time. They can switch anytime you can do an action on your turn. For Diplomatic Conference, you have to get them there either by treaty or some other means (temporal micro wormhole) or switching affiliations when you get to the planet.

3rd one: About Personas. I kinda guess cards only count as personas, when their name is written in the Lore text, but what about cards that dont have it, but are still kinda personas. Like Beverly Crusher and Beverly Picard?

Thanks so far. Currently trying to build a deck from my collection and convince a friend to play with me :D
It has to be bolded on one version or have the same name. Most AU people are not personas as they are not from the same timeline

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
thanks, still a bit confused though.

So in order to draw cards from the tent, I put a Tent in my drawdeck and then can take any card from the subdeck when played? So they work as "tutors"? Wouldnt you just always run 13 Tents maindeck then? 'None of the lists i looked at run any mainddeck though.

When I switch multiaffilation cards from lets say federation to romulan and I dont have a treaty in play, do they still help solving the mission? Or do they just stop "working together" but at the end of turn the mission requirements are still solved?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote:thanks, still a bit confused though.

So in order to draw cards from the tent, I put a Tent in my drawdeck and then can take any card from the subdeck when played? So they work as "tutors"? Wouldnt you just always run 13 Tents maindeck then? 'None of the lists i looked at run any mainddeck though.
Back in the day it was common to run tents in the deck to get key cards for your strategy and/or situational cards to mess with your opponent. However, it carried a steep cost: no more card draws for the rest of your turn.

Most modern decks draw multiple cards per turn and/or run Q's Tent: Civil War for the access to 13 free [Ref] cards, making the old tent-for-a-card strategy less popular.

I wouldn't call it obsolete though. There are cards that can really wreck an opponent in the right situation but aren't easily accessible (Alas Poor Queen as an example) that aren't really in the meta right now. A deck that's willing to go old school could find a meta unprepared for such shenanigans.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
since i dont want to print any virtual cards (yet) i guess my decks will be more "oldschool" at first.
I was mainly collector, so i usually only own 1ofs of each card, so no massive tent shenenigans for me atm.

Im still trying to figure how to get more personal into play, since red alert is banned (trying to follow otf rules) and what draw engines to use.

Im planning to build a federation deck for me and a klingon deck for my friend. And I want to use my future enterprise :D

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote:since i dont want to print any virtual cards (yet) i guess my decks will be more "oldschool" at first.
I was mainly collector, so i usually only own 1ofs of each card, so no massive tent shenenigans for me atm.

Im still trying to figure how to get more personal into play, since red alert is banned (trying to follow otf rules) and what draw engines to use.

Im planning to build a federation deck for me and a klingon deck for my friend. And I want to use my future enterprise :D
If you're sticking to Decipher-era cards only, I'd start with the two respective Headquarters (Office of the President and The Great Hall) and run as many people as possible who play for free.

That should give each of you at least two card plays most turns and keep the game at a reasonable pace.

For draws, Kivas Fajo - Collector and The Traveler: Transcendence are just as good now as they were back then. Keep it basic.

Hope that helps. Good luck! :cheersL:

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
hey ok, traveler seems indeed a good card. its not played in any recent decks though, any idea why?

Is there any way to solve "Earth" as Federation?
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Ensign Q wrote:hey ok, traveler seems indeed a good card. its not played in any recent decks though, any idea why?

Is there any way to solve "Earth" as Federation?
HQ: Secure Homeworld is your best bet.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote:hey ok, traveler seems indeed a good card. its not played in any recent decks though, any idea why?
It's an event card that has to be drawn to and then played on the table using your normal card play. At the current speed of the game (which is often over in 6-10 turns), this can be hard to justify. And, even if you can get The Traveler: Transcendence to the table, Mirror Image means it'll benefit your opponent as much as yourself.

There's easier ways to get draws these days, be it Continuing Mission or New Arrivals or Duck Blind or Ancestral Vision or Surprise Party (which is a lot like The Traveler but not vulnerable to Mirror Image) or Handshake, so TT:T just doesn't get the love it used to.

EDIT: This article is literally ten years old, thus misses a LARGE number of newer cards (and several bans/errata), but it's still useful, especially if you're playing mostly traditional.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
very helpful :)

think ill go with cochrane memorial in the fed deck.

about HQ: Secure Homeworld. i need a personal with attributes >40? seems impossible. nvm. attribute total.

still confused how to solve the VIP mission though
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
The VIP mission is really hard to solve, even with the errata. :)

It is usually a good fit in decks that run the Triple Treaty. (Treaty: Federation/Romulan/Klingon)

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Easiest way to solve Diplomatic Conference is to use multi-affiliation personnel. Some examples are:

[Fed] with Major Rakal, The Emissary, and Fed/non-aligned VIPs

[Rom] with Major Rakal, Sisters of Duras, and Rom/non-aligned VIPs

No need to worry about treaties, getting personnel to the planet, etc. Just use them normally and switch affiliations when attempting. Do look out for Lack of Preparation, though, this mission is a magnet for LoP combos.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Ensign Q wrote:very helpful :)

think ill go with cochrane memorial in the fed deck.

about HQ: Secure Homeworld. i need a personal with attributes >40? seems impossible. nvm. attribute total.

still confused how to solve the VIP mission though
No you need a team with attributes>40, not one person.
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor

Hello Ensign Q!
If you're a new player or revisiting the game, might I suggest the Online League and The Dojo's Discord Channel?

We're at about 120 players currently from all around the world and The Discord/The Online League is full of returning and/or new players just like yourself. We got a bunch of guys who can walk you through either first & second editions, or Tribbles and specifically Lackey.

...and if you aren't interested in playing yet - atleast come say hi and make some new chums. We talk about everything and can answer any questions you may have especially when the message boards around here seem lifeless and cold!

*Use this link here to sign up!
*Use this link here to log into your account once signed up!
*Don't forget to download the mobile app!
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Ensign Q wrote:thanks, still a bit confused though.

Even back in the Decipher days, I rarely played with Q's Tents in my decks. I used it as a place to store cards that are [DL] by other cards. You can easily fill your Tent with such cards from the Decipher era.
Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]