This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 194 posts

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The thing with the download chains not just that they were broken/fast but that they closed off a lot of game design space. I.E., what should i bother playing with a [WC] or [RC] card to enable a deck type (like Legitimate Leader, or Here by Invitation or a Maquis deck), when I can just run AMS, ASP, DH, and a ton of personnel that [DL] other personnel and I have 15 people out on turn 1 or 2. It didn't make faction decks impossible to design or build, it just made them worthless. So CC put in the personnel DL limit to move the game into deck building free reporting and drawing engines.
Ensign Q wrote:can you use spacetimeportal to bounce the ship when it would be destroyed or damaged by dilemma?

if cytherians affect the ship but it doesnt have enough range to get to the next mission, its stuck?
Answer to these questions:

1. No, because it is not a valid response. Returning a ship to hand is an order you have to execute and you can't execute orders when facing a dilemma unless unless it specifically modifies that dilemma (is a valid response) or it suspends play. Thus you cannot return your ship to hand, but you could play the interrupt Plexing if you encountered Frame of Mind, because Plexing specifically nullifies that dilemma, and is therefor a valid response to encountering it.

In the broader sense you cannot interrupt ANY action with another action unless what you are doing suspends play or is a valid response. That includes mission attempts, scouting attempts, commandeering attempts, battles, etc. So you can't use space time portal to return a ship to hand when your opponent attacks it with her/her Borg Cube either.

2. Yes.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
as said, im not against disrupting dl chains. actually its exactly what i want, but in another implementation, because it eats time and makes actions harder to follow. for example the first person is now hidden in a ship, so its gets real confusing who is downloading who and so on. its better to execute everything in the same turn and then just stop everyone.

nonetheless, there are ref cards around that punish massdl already. like containment field.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Ensign Q wrote:as said, im not against disrupting dl chains. actually its exactly what i want, but in another implementation, because it eats time and makes actions harder to follow. for example the first person is now hidden in a ship, so its gets real confusing who is downloading who and so on. its better to execute everything in the same turn and then just stop everyone.

nonetheless, there are ref cards around that punish massdl already. like containment field.
So reveal the person...

A person being stopped doesn't prevent them from using a [DL] so this
if you want to cut even more searches every downloaded guy would enter play with a timecounter of X where X is the number of downloaded personnel (-1)
is your additional rules baggage which is less intuitive to me than the General Quarters rule.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
the time counter thing would only be an option if you want to chain everything in one turn. its not what im proposing.

if stopped doesnt prevent dl, then make it stunned or any status that does it.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Ensign Q wrote:the time counter thing would only be an option if you want to chain everything in one turn. its not what im proposing.

if stopped doesnt prevent dl, then make it stunned or any status that does it.
So you shut down some minor chain downloading, still breaks P'Chan, Lansor and Marika but I can still play Recruit Mercenaries, Going to the Top, I'm a Doctor, Not a Bricklayer, use ASP and Defend Homeworld all in one turn, etc.

Lets just look at your premise,
To me, it doesnt seem to be the best solution, because it eats so much time(looking through the deck twice, shuffling etc.).
I've seen a similar sentiment on the 2E side in regards to time issues but realistically the actual time waster in either game is decision making by a very large margin, if you want the game to go faster think less about what you're going to do, simple.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
to be fair, im not very experienced with the current state of the game. but in my last game the download mechanic pretty much stopped our whole game, because my opponent would always have to wait for my search and had no idea what was happening at all, between doorway downloads and s.d. and that was online, where shuffling and stuff is automated.
granted my deck also is much bigger than usual, so it eats extra time.

besides i would have had much more time actually thinking about my moves than being busy searching.

funnily enough, the timecounter solution would work with pchan. although you could just errata them into a combined dl.

and yeah you could activate them, but you could still only dl one more guy per turn, unless you go for timecounter, as said.

whatever, at this point we have to agree to disagree about the current implementation.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Conundrum

so what happened to this card?

the resolution guide is pre errata. the errata note is that it got fixed to work with quadrants.

the card itself reads "same spaceline", so i assume same quadrant.

resolution guide says it works also when there are ships elsewhere (unless cloaked or whatever)

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
Unless INTEGRITY>40, this ship must do nothing but chase (at normal speed) and attack one of your opponent's ships on this spaceline (your choice). Discard dilemma.

Short Answer:
If you miss the 40 Integrity your Ship and Crew are stopped. If no opponents ship is on Conundrums Spaceline there is no target. Each Quadrant is its own Spaceline. Discard the Dilemma and continue to the next.

Or read the holy Glossary!

Conundrum

When you fail to overcome this dilemma, your ship and crew are “stopped” and you must immediately target one of your opponent’s ships. (If there is no valid target, the dilemma is immediately discarded without effect and your cards are not “stopped.”)
Once “unstopped,”the ship and crew must chase and attack that target. This is a required action (see actions – required), and must be carried out alone; your other ships at the location may not join the battle.
Cloaked, phased, or landed ships, or ships in a Temporal Rift or Time Travel Pod are invalid
targets. You may change targets at any time. If the selected target at any time becomes
invalid or leaves play, you must target a different ship. If at any time there are no valid targets in play, the dilemma is discarded.

Once you have attacked a target ship, the dilemma is “cured” and discarded.
Last edited by Enabran on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
ah, interesting!

so, the errata / new resolution says it works only when there are applicable ships on the same spaceline (unless cloaked or whatever), i.e., in the same quadrant?

(quadrant =~ spaceline.)

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
yes

by the way, why can't I copy and paste the Glossary entries here without the need to edit them?

Example:
Vic Fontaine
-
This personnel
cannot
download an
artifact
. See
Mission
Fatigue
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
Suden Kapala wrote:ah, interesting!

so, the errata / new resolution says it works only when there are applicable ships on the same spaceline (unless cloaked or whatever), i.e., in the same quadrant?

(quadrant =~ spaceline.)
That is correct!
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Suden Kapala wrote: (quadrant =~ spaceline.)
Think of it this way - time locations are in a quadrant, but not on a spaceline. :)

And the errata boils out to "is there someone you could fly over and shoot without any shenanigans? Yes - go shoot them. No - N'er mind"

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
pfti wrote:
Suden Kapala wrote:so, the errata / new resolution says it works only when there are applicable ships on the same spaceline (unless cloaked or whatever), i.e., in the same quadrant?
That is correct!
:thumbsup:
AllenGould wrote:
Suden Kapala wrote: (quadrant =~ spaceline.)
Think of it this way - time locations are in a quadrant, but not on a spaceline. :)
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
And the errata boils out to "is there someone you could fly over and shoot without any shenanigans? Yes - go shoot them. No - N'er mind"
:thumbsup: :P :thumbsup:
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Enabran wrote:yes

by the way, why can't I copy and paste the Glossary entries here without the need to edit them?

Example:
Vic Fontaine
-
This personnel
cannot
download an
artifact
. See
Mission
Fatigue
Because it's a PDF and PDF viewers generally don't handle line breaks all that well (sometimes not even word breaks). I use Brave for most of my browsing, but its PDF viewer is terrible at copy-paste, so I generally have a Chrome window open just for the Glossary (and streaming).
2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Awww, shucks! Glad you’re in a bigger area.[…]

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !