This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.

Do you wish the battle system was better?

Yes make it like the rest of the game
10%
Yes improve personnel battles only
17%
Yes improve ship battles only
No votes
0%
Yes improve both
14%
Yes improve personnel battles but not ship battles
No votes
0%
No I like playing war
3%
No battle bridge improved battles enough already
55%

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I voted no but I'm honestly not sure HOW I feel............

This is my problem with battles

I played a game recently where my opponent was using Supply Ships to ferry people around. I had some interceptors and I could have gone down the spaceline and blasted his little ships.

But I was too nervous to devote the resources to doing that. as he was piling up people I kept thinking if I go down there with a few staffed ships that's people I'm pulling off duty of attempting missions.

I don't like to battle because i feel like I'm going to "fall behind" if I devote resources to doing it. And that's DUMB (because if i blow him up he loses his resources, and i still have mine!!!), i know that, but I still feel squeamish about it. Like he only had some supply ships but what if he drops some Galor class destroyers once i head towards his other ships and blows me up?

It just feels SAFER to keep my people home and worry about busting dilemmas with them. and TIME is also a big factor in that. It was getting late in the game by this point that he had a "conga line" of supply ships built up and I had to get some points on the board. If time was no factor i would have had NO qualms about sending some ships off for 2 or 3 turns to ravel, battle, and travel back. because even if he blew my ships up, i would have had plenty of time to play more people later.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
i dont think theres really much that can be done to make battle better in a game that isnt focused on battle, but rather just features battle as one of many different things you can do.

to make it better would be to introduce much more complexity. star trek ccg is a star trek simulator, not a battle simulator. abstraction is needed.

By Ausgang (Gerald Sieber)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
As someone noted in another thread, there is already a system that makes battle more interesting: Tactics. The problem (at least for me) is that I value other defensive measures more highly in a deck that wants to avoid battle (i.e. Emergency Evacuation, Resistance Tactics etc.); in other words: tactics lack incentives.

Supposedly, tactics are mostly used as a power boost rather than a tactical decision. For me the reason for spending a seed slot on the Battle Bridge Door is in about 95% of the cases only when I see an aggressive potential in my deck. Also, since most tactics have an offensive nature and are not effective while on the defense.

Did the CC consider making BBD a free-seed? I know, free seeds are dangerous but this might be a rare issue to solve the "problem" and make battle more interesting. It's just a wild guess and probably requires lots of testing.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I understand all your points. I just look at it like this actually. Star trek ccg is a awesome game of twists and and turns everywhere. You really don't know who is going to win the game. The only issue is battles are worse in star trek ccg than in magic the gathering. If you add in tactics it is still just counting numbers up with only the bottom of tactics doing anything star trek to me.

Star trek ccg should be a complex battle system. Since it was that way in the show. All kind of movements and tricks.

My idea is take battle bridge and expand it. So it makes it more complex and flavorful to the tv show.

Both players draw 7 tactics from the new battle bridge. Battle bridge new side deck will be 60 cards.
It will be full of things that happen in battles not just attacks only.

A short example

Tom plays ship hits a rift from his hand. Opponents ship takes fire damage. Which lowers shields by 1.

John plays ship is having warp problems. Range is reduced by 1.

After all 7 cards are gone. You then battle. All tactics cards remain until repaired at a outpost or using current range equal to the tactics repair cost on the cards. The repair would help make it feel like you have engineers aboard. You don't see star trek ships running back to base every episode.

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I think space battle is fine.

I think personnel battle could use some fine tuning. I'd like to see it get its own "battle bridge door" with tactics n such. Even if it doesnt do much gamewise, flavor wise .. it would be awesome.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
The problem with making BBD a free seed is that outside of formats where it or Tactics are not legal, every deck would then include it and a side deck. In most cases, if a card is in a vast majority of decks, something is wrong with it.

:twocents:
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
If BBD were in every deck, we could delete the rotation damage rules and no longer have two wholly separate and parallel rules for damage and repair. Whatever its other demerits, that would be a big win for cutting rules cruft.

An alternative would be to make somehow including Rotation Damage Marker mandatory.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Fleet Admiral
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
BCSWowbagger wrote:If BBD were in every deck, we could delete the rotation damage rules and no longer have two wholly separate and parallel rules for damage and repair. Whatever its other demerits, that would be a big win for cutting rules cruft.

An alternative would be to make somehow including Rotation Damage Marker mandatory.
For what it is worth, I brought this one with to Continentals, which I won at San Diego Masters. They are pretty sweet to use, imo.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
Se7enofMine wrote:I dont think the BBSD should be a free seed, nor should anything for personnel battle. If you want to use it, pay for it. If you dont, omit it.
But omitting it only harms the people who don't want it in the game.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
JeBuS wrote:
Se7enofMine wrote:I dont think the BBSD should be a free seed, nor should anything for personnel battle. If you want to use it, pay for it. If you dont, omit it.
But omitting it only harms the people who don't want it in the game.
isnt that true of every card?

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I'm not advocating for a change, or if a change was made making it 'free', but I did want to point out that the history of the game has had items that were once costed become free and also has had new mechanics added in for free.

1. Original version of the game had your 6 missions as part of your max 30 card see deck.
2. When Nors were introduced players were each given 6 free site slots

- James M
NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Awww, shucks! Glad you’re in a bigger area.[…]

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]