This forums is for questions, answers, and discussion about First Edition rules, formats, and expansions.
  • 198 posts
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:So it seems like the best use of Ravenous Hunger, since it is opponents mission only and does not affect balancing act, is to ruin a high point planet mission of my opponent.

Anything else?
Feels like you could do a long game and whack all their solvable planets as well. (Hope they can actually solve their homeworld!)
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
Takket wrote:So it seems like the best use of Ravenous Hunger, since it is opponents mission only and does not affect balancing act, is to ruin a high point planet mission of my opponent.

Anything else?

Does this mean opponent has to discard an artifact there? Usually a misseed means you cannot complete a mission but I think that is only when seeded, nit if it becomes a misseed later fir some reason.
Hitting a high point mission is a good use. Also just making it harder to get a planet mission solved. If you can get enough of these moving, you might force your opponent to go all space or face your nastier planet combos

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
So since Ravenous Hunger allows the Planet Killer to "fly by", does this mean I'll have to count mission span carefully while seeding to ensure it hits the mission I want it to? Why doesn't the Killer just stop at the Ravenous Hunger mission?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Suden Kapala wrote:
Discovery suxs wrote:Yes I got the killer log
In my imagination I see you now waving around that doomsday machine as a club, yelling "I got a killer log here!"
Haha!

It's a great card and image -- and the Hunger makes it very interesting. 8)
Ensign Q wrote:so ravenous hunger works with balancing act. intended?
That should't be... should it? :o :?
Again, as with The Book/Support Personnel, it could be solved by ruling Balancing Act to work only with printed icons... but of course you don't want to retcon everything with rulings...
Who is the doomsday machine now?
Attachments:
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (9.7 KiB) Viewed 568 times
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Not_always_but_often wrote:So since Ravenous Hunger allows the Planet Killer to "fly by", does this mean I'll have to count mission span carefully while seeding to ensure it hits the mission I want it to?
Yes.
Why doesn't the Killer just stop at the Ravenous Hunger mission?
We asked the same question! But it turns out that blowing up a planet is a very powerful effect. This was one of the most heavily tested and carefully balanced cards in The Cage, and our findings were that such a powerful effect can't be quite that easy to deploy. Requiring smart gameplay and a bit of good luck went a long way toward prevent total lockout decks. (In one test game with a stronger version of Ravenous Hunger, Player A simply destroyed ALL of Player B's planets, then ran point loss dilemmas, forcing Player B to score 160+ points to win.)

Of course, between the day The Cage locked and the day The Cage started spoiling, Black Hole came back on the market unchanged, which does make Ravenous Hunger look a bit less powerful than it did during testing, when it was the only arbitrary mission-destruction card in town. But Ravenous Hunger is still the way to go if you want to destroy a planet early in the game.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Not_always_but_often wrote:So since Ravenous Hunger allows the Planet Killer to "fly by", does this mean I'll have to count mission span carefully while seeding to ensure it hits the mission I want it to?
Yes.
Why doesn't the Killer just stop at the Ravenous Hunger mission?
Blowing up a planet is a very powerful effect. This was one of the most heavily tested and carefully balanced cards in The Cage, and our findings were that such a powerful effect can't be quite that easy to deploy.

Of course, between the day The Cage locked and the day The Cage started spoiling, Black Hole came back on the market unchanged, which does make Ravenous Hunger look a bit less powerful than it did during testing, when it was the only arbitrary mission-destruction card in town. But Ravenous Hunger is still the way to go if you want to destroy a planet early in the game.
Of course blowing up a planet should be hard. I still don't understand why tox is banned. It is not easy to get a artifact. You need supernova too. Kevin upbrixage can get rid of both. There is a ton of cards to get rid of tox too. Supernova is useless without tox. So should be banned too.
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Discovery suxs wrote:Supernova is useless without tox. So should be banned too.
Supernova was banned for a long time, actually. (Tox was not.) Eventually, they were switched so that Bashir Founder could work again. This was in the heyday of Kazon Armada decks, and Bashir Founder's blunt solution to Armada decks was very attractive.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:
Discovery suxs wrote:Supernova is useless without tox. So should be banned too.
Supernova was banned for a long time, actually. (Tox was not.) Eventually, they were switched so that Bashir Founder could work again. This was in the heyday of Kazon Armada decks, and Bashir Founder's blunt solution to Armada decks was very attractive.
Honestly, that should have been the consequence to HP010.

By TyKajada (Alexander Schmitz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  

Ravenous Hunger/Planet Killer are certainly the high light of The Cage so far for me, awesome, even the tactic looks great.

One question to be sure...

RH says: "...(once per game, may play for free)..."

I assume this means:
I cannot play more than one Ravenous Hunger per game.
I can play it for free but I don't have to.

It does NOT mean:
I can play as many as I like.
One of them may play for free (once per game).

Just checking my English.

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
TyKajada wrote:.

Ravenous Hunger/Planet Killer are certainly the high light of The Cage so far for me, awesome, even the tactic looks great.

I assume this means:

It does NOT mean:

You can play as many as you like and one of them you can play for free.

So if your opponent is playing with 4 planets you can put Ravenous Hunger on each of them. For three of the planets you play it on it will cost you your regular card play. For one of them you will be able to play it for free.

- James M

By TyKajada (Alexander Schmitz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Orbin wrote:
TyKajada wrote:.

I assume this means:

It does NOT mean:

You can play as many as you like and one of them you can play for free.

So if your opponent is playing with 4 planets you can put Ravenous Hunger on each of them. For three of the planets you play it on it will cost you your regular card play. For one of them you will be able to play it for free.

- James M
Interesting,
if it's that way I would have formulated it without comma:
"once per game may play for free"
but hey I am certainly no English master.
:P

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Love the spoilers today.

So we now have a CC card based on Threshold, and a CC expansion based on Shades of Grey.

Creative: Your challenge is more Sub Rosa cards... :D

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Also, I have an affiliation draft event on Saturday where I'm playing (TNG?) Ferengi. Qol would've been very handy for the draws.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Primal Urges

Nooooooooooooooo

I love the card. I will personally change the picture or please change the picture. I mean this is possibly the worst voyager episode period. It is in the top 10 out of all star trek. The only voyager episodes even close are bad cheese episode and Neelix reads bedtime stories.

By Ashigaru
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Idle thought that just occurred to me about Let Me Help (disclaimer - while I do like to keep up with developments, it's been ages since I actually touched the game, so forgive me if this is the stupidest question ever)...is there anything that states that the Borg Queen is female? I know it would cause dilemmas to affect a Counterpart because they're now Borg-related cards, but I couldn't find anything that would extend it to the Queen. Or is the Queen still exempt?
Crossover question

I was literally just typing up this question all[…]

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0